Register to reply

Uh... I need a runway, really... let me explain...

by rhody
Tags: bmw 1000rr
Share this thread:
rhody
Nov20-10, 09:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
A work in progress

If you have not been bitten with a life long love of two wheel rapid transit systems then this thread is not for you...

Some additions/replacements to the "Work in Progress..."

The top two left images, thrust/hp/torque, the top two right images are of a stock bike, all the rest, work in progress that includes:
  • Ohlins Front/rear shocks (fronts still on order)
  • PUIG windscreen
  • Sato Rearsets and racing hooks
  • Yoshimura fender eliminator, front fork spools, case savers
  • Racing Products case covers, stator/clutch, swingarm spools
  • Heli bars
  • Pazzo Racing levers
  • Custom powder coat, front/rear wheels, black on red
  • Custom powder coat, rear swingarm
  • Custom paint, gastank to match metalic grey on rest of the bike
A Review

Dave Moss: Setup

Nate Kern practicing for CCS race with his BMW S 1000 RR on NJMP

Nate Kern on: Lean Angle

Smooth Rider, and Jeremy McWilliams on race version

The rest of the components won't be installed until after the beginning of December.

Plan a few track days next year along with some advanced track training.

A goal is to ship this bike to the Isle of Mann in June some year in the future, and to take a spirited course lap during race week, on Mad Sunday.

The reason I need a runway, preferably a privately owned one is obvious. I am serious, after break-in period, 600 miles, the dealer sets the maximum revs to over 14K.
Too many customers were doing damage to the engine, this is BMW's fix for it.
I am also interested in people who own their own secondary twisty roads in remote areas, for obvious reasons within a 250 mile radius of RI, where I live.

Rhody...

P.S. The "bug eye" above does not begin to express what +.8 and -.8 G's feel like when full power or braking is applied (in a safe environment of course).

The technical details outlined in the: "A Review" link are quite impressive, the bike was a 5 year commitment by BMW, and it shows.
Over 600,000 real world miles put on before release, and 350,000 of those were at race tracks around the globe. I am told that more than 50 of BMW's best made this happen, and from the result, I would guess it to be accurate.

Have a look at this link as well:
Nate Kern racing his BMW S 1000 RR on NJMP, May 1, 2010
You can see him pick up the pace about 10% in some sections of the track, especially the front straight, about 170+ and much much harder on the brakes, the bike starts to squirm before the right-hander. Interesting contrast, practice versus race...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
turbo
Nov20-10, 09:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Wow! Nice-looking machine. I am older than you and missed the crotch-rocket craze (although my Yamaha 350 would eat up much larger machines). I'd actually like to have a cafe-tweaked version of the RD350 to play with from time to time. I wheeled over backwards only twice in almost 40 years of riding. Both times were on that 2-stroke. That rig was twitchier than a dirt-bike when it was tuned properly.
rhody
Nov20-10, 10:20 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Wow! Nice-looking machine. I am older than you and missed the crotch-rocket craze (although my Yamaha 350 would eat up much larger machines). I'd actually like to have a cafe-tweaked version of the RD350 to play with from time to time. I wheeled over backwards only twice in almost 40 years of riding. Both times were on that 2-stroke. That rig was twitchier than a dirt-bike when it was tuned properly.
Turbo,

There is a new TV Show: Cafe Racers, a couple of guys take old bikes, Nortons, Yamaha 400's, etc... and restore them and give them a modern flair, you should try to check out the show if it is on your selection of TV choices. Very very cool. BTW, I am in contact with Dave Moss, the guy who in the "Setup" about a collaboration, will see how things develop.

If you carefully examine the first link on the review of the bike, the two solid state gyros in the bike, with traction control set to ON, pretty much prevent end over wheelies, the DTC lets the front wheel float 12 to 16 inches off the ground for a second or two then the ECU reduces the power a bit and wheelie over, you can see evidence of that in the: "smooth rider" link. If you are very very skilled you can turn off the traction control and the anti lock brakes and rely on your nerve and skill, however. BMW engineers pulled a rabbit out of the hat with this one, the pistons only move .5 inches, but have a huge area, the lightest valve train of any sport bike ever, and the smoothed the HP peak to around 11,500 rpm, right after the torque peak at about 10K rpm. This makes for lots of control, whereas some manufacturers, Honda, Yamaha, etc, have lumps where horse power and torque are delivered too fast and then drop off, resulting in a chassis that does not stay even and planted while cornering or exiting. BMW listening to what the market was asking for and in every category beat their closest competition by 15 or more percent. The second solid state gyro is a "backup" for the first. Enough rambling. Hope you enjoy the Cafe Racers bike build show.

Rhody...

Proton Soup
Nov21-10, 12:56 AM
P: 1,070
Uh... I need a runway, really... let me explain...

so you chose top-end speed over quickness?
rhody
Nov21-10, 08:28 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Proton Soup View Post
so you chose top-end speed over quickness?
Proton,

No, maybe the context of my thread made it appear that way though, let me explain. I currently have an 06 Yamaha FJR 1300 with ABS. Sport Touring bike, and I have fun in the mountains on twisty roads, but at 600 plus pounds, she doesn't change direction or handle, or stick to the road in the league of the BMW.

I have the most fun in 2nd through 3rd gears on twisty back roads. The BMW will change direction and believe it on not because of the soft mid-range behave itself in a similar fashion, as long as you keep it out the upper rpm band, above 10K. If you watched the "smooth rider" link you will see that the BMW transitions directions (side to side) with ease and not at a blistering pace.

The BMW addresses these shortcomings and then some. I don't want to compromise my health or safety doing so either, which the ABS and Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) addresses. There is a racing school on the West Coast run by legend, Keith Code. He has a fleet on BMW's, 24 or more in fact , and this is the first time in years that any student has not crashed a bike during the school, and at an elevated track pace. That says something significant. The bikes are becoming "rider proof" in a way, which I have a problem with. Your skill and sensitivity to what is happening is equally if not more important. I hope this clears things up.

Rhody...
rhody
Nov21-10, 09:19 PM
PF Gold
One important add-on I apparently forgot:

Taylor Racing Exhaust, with carbon fiber cover, 15 lbs lighter than stock, claimed 6 more HP in mid-range, (like the bike really needs it). What sold it for me was the
weight, look (no exhaust apparent, GP Style) and mid-range, see pics in first post.

For those interested:

The development of the bike by BMW:

If you are a gear head, you will like these...

Rhody...
turbo
Nov21-10, 09:43 PM
PF Gold
Nice videos! A 600-weight bike that sports 1000-power, hopped up and lightened...? Pretty nice. Toss that baby through some turns, then snap the throttle and hang a wheelie heading into the straights? Perfect.

EDIT: 403 pounds! With nearly 200 hp. Wow!
nismaratwork
Nov22-10, 05:54 AM
P: 2,284
I am WAAAAAAY out of my depth, but having done some reading, this machine sounds pretty interesting to me. I hope you find that test-track so we can all get pics and stories.
gmax137
Nov22-10, 09:03 AM
P: 861
If you really are looking for a runway, check out ECTA - east coast timing assn. They do meets at Maxton (near fayetteville NC). I think there's also a group that runs at an old airbase in Maine somewhere. Probably could find that described on the ECTA site.

And if you've never been to Bonneville you're missing something. Check out the "BUB meet" for bikes only; it gets bigger every year.
rhody
Nov22-10, 10:12 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by gmax137 View Post
If you really are looking for a runway, check out ECTA - east coast timing assn. They do meets at Maxton (near fayetteville NC). I think there's also a group that runs at an old airbase in Maine somewhere. Probably could find that described on the ECTA site.

And if you've never been to Bonneville you're missing something. Check out the "BUB meet" for bikes only; it gets bigger every year.
gmax137,

Thanks I will take your advice, especially about the airbase in Maine, Bonneville scares me though, salt = long slow slide to: injury/death !!!

Rhody...
turbo
Nov22-10, 10:33 AM
PF Gold
I don't think you'd get much out of Maine's Winterport drag way (old runway) since it's only 1/8 mile. You'd be in 2nd gear (maybe) going through the traps.
gmax137
Nov22-10, 11:47 AM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I don't think you'd get much out of Maine's Winterport drag way (old runway) since it's only 1/8 mile. You'd be in 2nd gear (maybe) going through the traps.
I was thinking of Loring AFB. Check them out at
http://lta-lsr.com/

from the LTA site:
"The LTA race track is currently the longest asphalt LSR surface available in the world today. The picture at left is quite deceiving due to the fact that it is an incredible 2 1/2 miles long!"

It is a long drive from anywhere (it's north of Presque Isle, ME), but a lot closer to Rogue Island than Bonneville. I have never been there for the speed trials, but it looks cool on their website.
turbo
Nov22-10, 11:54 AM
PF Gold
Thanks. I didn't know that old SAC base had been re-purposed.

And that is a LONG way from here (central Maine).
nismaratwork
Nov22-10, 12:54 PM
I would LOVE to drive on a closed 2.5mi track (in my case, in a car)... that would be an absolute blast for a little while.
rhody
Nov22-10, 04:11 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
I would LOVE to drive on a closed 2.5mi track (in my case, in a car)... that would be an absolute blast for a little while.
nismara,

Trust me when I say this, there is NO comparision to be at near race pace on a track in a car versus a fast bike, none, nada, zippo... in my biased opinion, of course.

The sensations from the bike, the wind, the positive G's during acceleration, the negative ones under hard braking (200+ lbs on your arms during max braking, a good work out), the lateral G's under cornering, the engine noise, the low height relative to the road, the tire howl (that always gets my attention), the sliding (try not to do that, but it sometimes happens) makes you feel in a sense, unworldly, surreal in a way.

gmax37,
I was thinking of Loring AFB. Check them out at
http://lta-lsr.com/
I will check it out, thanks... What I really really want though, is to take certain twisty parts of North West New Mexico, or Arizona on the way to Prescott or route #243 to Idyllwild in California from Hemet. These are superb examples of beautiful desolate country, places to ride at an elevated pace, semi-safely. The video link I included is the west side (RT 243) on descent to RT10, leading to Palm Springs, a road I have traveled by car and bike many times. I prefer the bike of course.

Rhody...

P.S. That video brought back lots of good memories, wind storms, sunsets... very cool... riding a 1980 Honda CB900F with franken-bike suspension.
gmax137
Nov22-10, 06:44 PM
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
... What I really really want though, ...
Well, you're the one that asked for a runway

AZ 89 from Wickenburg to Prescott, and then on to Jerome - that is a beautiful ride...
rhody
Nov22-10, 08:58 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by gmax137 View Post
Well, you're the one that asked for a runway

AZ 89 from Wickenburg to Prescott, and then on to Jerome - that is a beautiful ride...
gmax137,

My parent's lived in Prescott and in Wickenburg in the 80's and I did that route I believe at least once, by car, though. You are right, I remember parts of it were gorgeous. A runway would be nice, for familiarization with high speed handling/braking/downshifting. You can't practice high speed stuff safely or legally anywhere else. However, I have the most fun like I said earlier, on twisty roads with some straight sections. The advanced track training would be a plus, and maybe a rack day or two will allow me (in as safe a way as possible) to have fun with say 90% of what the bike is capable of. The Mr. Hyde part of me that every once in a while wants front and center, thus the need for track days and mixing it up with others, while the Dr Jekyll side says the risk is not worth the reward (crashing or worse) and that part keeps me from straying too far.

Rhody...
nismaratwork
Nov23-10, 07:19 AM
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
gmax137,

My parent's lived in Prescott and in Wickenburg in the 80's and I did that route I believe at least once, by car, though. You are right, I remember parts of it were gorgeous. A runway would be nice, for familiarization with high speed handling/braking/downshifting. You can't practice high speed stuff safely or legally anywhere else. However, I have the most fun like I said earlier, on twisty roads with some straight sections. The advanced track training would be a plus, and maybe a rack day or two will allow me (in as safe a way as possible) to have fun with say 90% of what the bike is capable of. The Mr. Hyde part of me that every once in a while wants front and center, thus the need for track days and mixing it up with others, while the Dr Jekyll side says the risk is not worth the reward (crashing or worse) and that part keeps me from straying too far.

Rhody...
Just remember that if the runway is abandoned, especially in the northeast, then it may have more damage on the tarmac than you expect. You'll almost certainly be able to find a clear route, but do yourself a favor and walk it, and mark any divets or cracks near it with chalk.

Register to reply