Register to reply

Uh... I need a runway, really... let me explain...

by rhody
Tags: bmw 1000rr
Share this thread:
turbo
Dec10-10, 04:05 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
McCoy's loss of sponsorship probably just means more opportunity for his former rivals.

Probably the best thing that I ever did to my Wide Glide was to install a Yost Power Tube in the main-jet throat. I was able to over-jet that racing carb without experiencing the stumble and surge that you have to work around with that set-up. Best of all, with all the increased power, I went from ~45mpg in 2-up riding (about the only time I kept mileage stats) to ~50 mpg with no other mods. Same steep cam, same breather, filters, etc. Just added that power tube (atomizer) and re-jetted the carb. It was scary. That Super-E carb and other mods matched the power-band to that 4-speed tranny as perfectly as could be asked (although I tweaked that a bit, too). Run out of torque? Shift and crank that throttle again. Rinse and repeat.
rhody
Dec10-10, 08:08 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
I was feeling a little nostalgic, thinking back to the days of "On Any Sunday" with the likes of late legend actor Steve McQueen, ranked 11 top amateur rider at the time and the incredible Malcom Smith, he entered 12 Baja 1000's and won six of them, the other six, he broke down.

Hope you like it, it brought back pleasant memories, was never there but wished I could have been, saw the movie at least a half dozen times over the years.

The guy who takes his dog on his gas tank is a amazing, watch as he gets reconditioned at a pit stop. For those interested, On Any Sunday can be viewed entirely from the link above, it is broken in about 9 or more parts.

Here is a clip about Steve McQueen's need for speed.

And a Hill Climb Sequence from On any Sunday, with Malcom Smith.

Rhody...
turbo
Dec10-10, 08:19 PM
PF Gold
Still mulling over McCoy.... Could that separation have been any worse? Damn!!!
rhody
Dec10-10, 08:51 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Still mulling over McCoy.... Could that separation have been any worse? Damn!!!
Look at it this way Turbo, over the years, McCoy has more than his share of bad luck, until Moto2 gets it act together (cringe...), it is a blessing in disguise, I read there is talk of him returning to MotoGP, IMHO where he belongs.

Rhody...
turbo
Dec10-10, 08:52 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Look at it this way Turbo, over the years, McCoy has more than his share of bad luck, until Moto2 gets it act together (cringe...), it is a blessing in disguise, I read there is talk of him returning to MotoGP, IMHO where he belongs.

Rhody...
He could die in Moto2 though. Sloppy there.
rhody
Dec11-10, 09:27 PM
PF Gold
Moto 2: 2010 at Catalunya

I rest my case, the crash near the end: at 3:05 is horrific, the bike came down on the rider, then went into the apron, the rider rear ended the guy in front of him, sending him to the tarmac at very high speed.

Rhody...

P.S. The crashes throughout this video should give any same racer (there aren't many of them) pause...
and this compiled sequence, watch at 1:00 minute this guy was 6 inches and about 10 milliseconds in the right place at the right time, or he would have been killed for sure. These are older compiled segments, still hard to watch though.
nismaratwork
Dec12-10, 06:19 AM
P: 2,284
Moto 2: 2010 at Catalunya

I rest my case, the crash near the end: at 3:05 is horrific, the bike came down on the rider, then went into the apron, the rider rear ended the guy in front of him, sending him to the tarmac at very high speed.

Rhody...

P.S. The crashes throughout this video should give any same racer (there aren't many of them) pause...
and this compiled sequence, watch at 1:00 minute this guy was 6 inches and about 10 milliseconds in the right place at the right time, or he would have been killed for sure. These are older compiled segments, still hard to watch though.
Wow that's some amazing racing... *approaches 3:05*... yeah, really, whoa... look out!!!
*cleans mouth and keyboard*....

...very... potent imagery.
rhody
Dec18-10, 04:27 PM
PF Gold
I am contemplating small finishing touches, something like the second thumbnail below on the back of the bike, in the tail section, and possibly something like this on the black powder coated swing arm, in blood red, like the formula for thrust, first thumbnail.

BTW, took the FJR out for a bit today, temps in the high 30's parked then did my usual 1 hour walk, sun was just setting as I returned home. Nice day all in all.

I am open to requests for posts, I have a few uncharted areas in mind, but would like requests from the lurkers in this peanut gallery, sorry Turbo, Misnara, Mugs, hehe.

Rhody...

P.S. The last thumbnail is of my daughter, Rhody child (I got that one from Evo), and her boyfriend, home from 82nd Airborne Training for Christmas break, lets call him Green Baret brat, great guy, wish them the best.
Attached Thumbnails
thrust.JPG   Naga_Viperchilli.jpg   IMG_0540.jpg  
turbo
Dec18-10, 05:11 PM
PF Gold
Rhody, the pepper graphic would be cool. You could play with the palatte too. Maybe make your carbons a nice blood-red, and put a black and green pepper with light highlights on the rear fender. I'm fond of contrasts and inversions.

One reason that I liked my old tweaked Wide-Glide so much when I first bought it was the paint-job that featured "broken" trim over the flames. It's a little visual grabber. It took me years to get the performance on a par with the paint, but it was fun. Luckily, I have a very tolerant wife. She never complained if she came home after work and found a carb all torn down on the kitchen table, and she didn't give me a hard time for using our kitchen table as a work-bench when I rebuilt and restored old guitar tube-amps. She's a saint.
rhody
Dec28-10, 08:20 PM
PF Gold
Stay tuned, the bike is done, Professional Calendar photo's with College models have been taken, and I have a special set with the model who displayed my bike. Will post with pictures of the extra bits that have been added.

All I can say is, wow, to the bike I mean, if you get my drift... Will share when I get CD, Turbo, my buddy said he would have an extra Calendar for you, I took him at his word. The bottom line is, the bike will be a part of history, February 2011. Fair enough.

Rhody...
turbo
Dec28-10, 08:31 PM
PF Gold
Stay tuned, the bike is done, Professional Calendar photo's with College models have been taken, and I have a special set with the model who displayed my bike. Will post with pictures of the extra bits that have been added.

All I can say is, wow, to the bike I mean, if you get my drift... Will share when I get CD, Turbo, my buddy said he would have an extra Calendar for you, I took him at his word. The bottom line is, the bike will be a part of history, February 2011. Fair enough.

Rhody...
Really looking forward to it, Rhody. I love 2-wheeled machines. I didn't own a car the first year that I was married. Even in the winter, I drove back and forth to work on a Honda CL450. Wearing an Air-Force flight-line Eskimo suit with Wolverine-fur trim.

My wife eventually convinced me that I needed to get an enclosed vehicle with a heater. It was for the better, I guess.

Edit: is it February yet? How about now? Are we there yet?
rhody
Dec30-10, 07:04 PM
PF Gold
Turbo,

Paid for the bike today, signed up for track day in June, may do a second day as well because you really don't "get it" on the first one. It arrives tomorrow morning by truck, the roads are just too crappy to ride it. The Ohlins fork action is really supple, smooth, just like the Patron Anejo, hehe... BTW, I will be sending you a calendar with the college models as promised in a week or two. Here is a small sample. The model posed with my bike, February I believe. There should be dramatic photo shopped backgrounds so the pictures should be interesting, a nice memory...

Rhody...
Attached Thumbnails
BMW snip.JPG  
turbo
Dec30-10, 07:15 PM
PF Gold
Turbo,

Paid for the bike today, signed up for track day in June, may do a second day as well because you really don't "get it" on the first one. It arrives tomorrow morning by truck, the roads are just too crappy to ride it. The Ohlins fork action is really supple, smooth, just like the Patron Anejo, hehe... BTW, I will be sending you a calendar with the college models as promised in a week or two. Here is a small sample. The model posed with my bike, February I believe. There should be dramatic photo shopped backgrounds so the pictures should be interesting, a nice memory...

Rhody...
Pretty cool, Rhody! Track days can be fun.

An acquaintance and his wife had Ducatis and they did track days as a family thing a few times each season. Eventually, he crashed and got concussions enough times that his doctor told him to quit the track, so he took up flying instead.
rhody
Jan12-11, 06:04 PM
PF Gold
Lest we forget trials riders, a few video's for you:

motorcycle trials

Urban Freestyler - Trials

Best Of Toni Bou 2007

2009 SPEA FIM Indoor Trial World Championship - Madrid (SPA
)

2009 SPEA FIM Trial World Championship - Portugal

2009 SPEA FIM Trial World Championship - Ireland

and a few who need a bit more practice... or we a bit off their game...

We all need practice before becoming proficient

Rhody...

P.S. Too much snow here, last winter I was able to ride ay least once a week, not this year, just dodged big snowfall, only about 10 inches here.
turbo
Jan12-11, 06:49 PM
PF Gold
Where is Scorpa? She'd love those videos, but hasn't been around for a while.
rcgldr
Jan12-11, 11:14 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,054
A work in progress
Why aren't any of the normal liter bikes included in this comparason? Honda CBR 1000, Kawasaki ZX-10 (instead of the ZX-6), Suzuki GSXR 1000, Yamaha R1 1000, ???

A goal is to ship this bike to the Isle of Mann ... BMW ... abs
I don't think abs will help much here. The danger of the 37.75 mile (60.7 km) track is the combination of high speeds, narrow track, and remembering which turns are 200mph turns and which ones are 160mph turns. Average speed on the fastest bikes is 130 mph now. From Wiki:

... regards to the safety, especially "Mad Sunday" when any member of the public can ride the mountain section of the course which is open one way from Ramsey to Douglas. The TT races are extremely dangerous because of the high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and even buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT
rhody
Jan13-11, 05:31 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by rcgldr View Post
Why aren't any of the normal liter bikes included in this comparason? Honda CBR 1000, Kawasaki ZX-10 (instead of the ZX-6), Suzuki GSXR 1000, Yamaha R1 1000, ???

I don't think abs will help much here. The danger of the 37.75 mile (60.7 km) track is the combination of high speeds, narrow track, and remembering which turns are 200mph turns and which ones are 160mph turns. Average speed on the fastest bikes is 130 mph now. From Wiki:

... regards to the safety, especially "Mad Sunday" when any member of the public can ride the mountain section of the course which is open one way from Ramsey to Douglas. The TT races are extremely dangerous because of the high speeds on very narrow, twisting streets, roads and lanes flanked by stone walls and even buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man_TT
rcgldr,

As for as your first comment about the HP/Thrust Chart, it came from October 2010 Sport Rider Magazine. They choose the bikes, and did not include the ones you mentioned for unknown reasons, it addition, why they included the Kawasaki ZX-6R in a liter bike comparison is a stumper.

Second, Mad Sunday is open to the public, however I am not sure of the safety rules imposed, safety wiring, inspection, etc... add infinitum. I think it would be interesting to make a lap of the course, at a relaxed pace. I am fairly careful, and would not ride with or near any yahoo's who could take me out with their antics.

Third, if you go to one of my earlier posts, #6 here and watch video 1 link I think you will see what a great job BMW did in their development of the bike, it speaks for itself. From what the guys who work in the bike sales industry are telling me, in 2012, Ducati, Yamaha, and Honda are promising to answer the challenge issued by BMW in 2009 with the S1000RR. That remains to be seen, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with. There are rumors of liter bikes with a dry weight in the neighborhood of 400 - 410 lbs. How they will do this is beyond my comprehension. I feel lucky to have shaved 15 lbs of my bike with a Taylor exhaust, with carbon fiber cover. About 445 lbs with a full tank of fuel.

Rhody...

P.S. I have stated in more than one post in this thread before, it bears repeating here, I have the most fun in 1st .. 3rd gears getting it up off the corners and on the power, the acceleration is awesome, high speed is not necessary for that sensation. Do it all the time with the heavy FJR, however the BMW is in a whole different league altogether. It will take some getting used to. I have signed up and prepaid for a track day in June at Loudon race track in NH. About 30 guys going, it should be fun. They tell me you put about 140 track miles on your bike, enough to shag a set of tires, a new set of tires will be ready at the end of the day.

P.P.S. Turbo I got the calendar's today, my bike appears in August. Not too bad for a college student's senior project. Decide for yourself. You should have it in a week or so.
turbo
Jan13-11, 05:36 PM
PF Gold
Thanks Rhody. Looking forward to the calendar.

I wish Scorpa was still kicking around this board. Her dad is a Harley man, like me, and she really loved my tweaked-out old Wide-Glide. She picked the user-name when she was a teen and wanted a trials-bike.

Register to reply