Transfer Admissions to US

• Admissions
  • Thread starter spaghetti3451
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Admissions
In summary, the speaker is a second year physics student at Imperial College London with a strong academic record but limited extracurricular experience. As an international student, they are considering transferring to a US university but are unsure about the cost and chances of getting accepted. They mention a friend who successfully transferred to UChicago, but only had their freshman year credits accepted. The speaker would only consider transferring to a US university if they receive scholarships and if it is of similar or higher caliber than Imperial.
spaghetti3451
Hey,

I am a second year physicist at Imperial College London.

I've got an outstanding academic track (89% in my first year), but not much in terms of extra-curricular.

Thing is, I'm an international student, so money is an issue for me.

So, I am thinking of applying for transfer admissions to US.

I'm sure whether this is a good idea or not?
Also, given my track, which schools am i likely to get into?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you researched how much it will cost you to attend a US university for 3 years?

Transfer admission is really tough, especially in top schools. Even if you do get in chances are they won't accept many of your second year credits. A friend of mine had a very similar situation, just like you he was a second year student at Sussex and I think he got nearly 100 percent on all his courses, he transferred to UChicago, but they only accepted his freshman year courses. But he was in engineering though.

cristo said:
Have you researched how much it will cost you to attend a US university for 3 years?

I would only enroll at a US institution if it offers me scholarships and if it is of a similar or higher
calibre as Imperial.

I understand your desire to pursue higher education in the United States. It is a great opportunity to expand your academic and research experiences. As for your question about transfer admissions, it is definitely a valid option for international students like yourself who may have financial constraints. However, it is important to thoroughly research and carefully choose the universities you apply to.

In terms of your academic track, an 89% in your first year at a prestigious university like Imperial College London is impressive. Admissions to top universities in the US can be competitive, but with a strong academic record such as yours, you may have a good chance of being accepted.

In addition to your grades, universities also consider other factors such as personal statements, letters of recommendation, and involvement in extracurricular activities. While you may not have much in terms of extracurriculars, it is important to highlight any relevant experiences or skills that may make you a strong candidate for the universities you are interested in.

It is difficult to say which specific schools you are likely to get into without knowing your intended major and other qualifications. My suggestion would be to research universities that have strong programs in your field of interest and align with your academic and financial goals. You can also reach out to the admissions offices of these universities for more information and guidance.

Overall, applying for transfer admissions to US universities can be a good idea for international students, but it is important to carefully consider your options and choose the right fit for you. Best of luck in your academic journey.

1. What is the process for transferring to a university in the US?

The process for transferring to a university in the US varies depending on the specific school and program. Generally, students must complete an application, submit transcripts from their previous institution(s), and provide any additional required materials such as essays or letters of recommendation. It is important to research the specific requirements and deadlines for each school you are interested in transferring to.

2. How do transfer admissions differ from freshman admissions?

Transfer admissions typically have different requirements and deadlines than freshman admissions. While freshman admissions may focus heavily on high school grades and test scores, transfer admissions may place more emphasis on college coursework and GPA. Additionally, transfer admissions may have a more competitive pool of applicants and may require more specific prerequisites for certain programs.

3. Can I transfer to a university in the US from a foreign country?

Yes, it is possible to transfer to a university in the US from a foreign country. However, the process may be more complex and may require additional steps such as obtaining a student visa. It is important to research the specific requirements for international transfer students at each university you are interested in.

4. Are there any benefits to transferring to a university in the US?

There can be many benefits to transferring to a university in the US, including access to a wider range of academic programs and resources, opportunities for internships and networking, and exposure to a diverse student body. Additionally, some universities may offer transfer-specific scholarships or financial aid.

5. Will my credits transfer to a university in the US?

It depends on the specific university and program. Many universities have transfer credit policies in place that outline which credits will transfer and how they will count towards degree requirements. It is important to research these policies and potentially meet with an academic advisor to determine how your credits will transfer before applying to a university.