Register to reply

Question in material structure.

by M.masarwy
Tags: material, structure
Share this thread:
M.masarwy
Dec16-10, 05:27 AM
P: 2
Assuming atoms pack together as hard spheres , find the largest intenstihal atom that can fit in a BCC arrangement of iron atoms . Take the radius of the irom atoms as 1,21 . Carry out the same calculations for an FCC arrangment of iron atoms . On the basis of these caluclation would you expect carbon with an atomc radius of 0,77 to occur as an intenstihal in BCC iron ? or FCC iron?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
Mapes
Dec16-10, 09:16 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,532
For homework-style questions, we ask that you show how you have tried to solve the problem. Then you'll likely get helpful comments.
M.masarwy
Dec21-10, 07:33 PM
P: 2
This is my solve

I) for BCC :-
assumming 2 unitcells :

a= ( 4r )\[tex]\sqrt{}3[/tex] =2.86 A

a) for the plane ( 0 1 0 ) ( the plane between the 2 cubics )

the free lenght between each 2 oppiste atoms = a[tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex] - 2r = 1.56 A

b) the free length between the 2 central atoms = a - 2r = 0.38 A

from a , b the largest radius = 0.38 A

II) for FCC :

assumming unitcell :

a = 2a [tex]\sqrt{}2[/tex] =3.507 A

the free space between each 2 oppiste face central atoms = a - 2r = 1.0272 A

the largest radius = 1.0272 A

III) If I have carbon with r = 0.77 A it's possible to occur as an intastitial in a FCC

May I have ur comments ??!!

Register to reply