Asking for an REU Position Early

In summary: Best case scenario is an early response and maybe even an offer.In summary, the person is considering whether or not to ask for early consideration for an application to a program they are interested in, but is unsure if it is in poor taste. They decide to go ahead and ask and receive an offer later.
Newtime
I have a formal offer to which I must reply in a few weeks and in informal offer to which I must reply in a reasonable amount of time. However, I think a different program (REU) might be a better fit given by background and current interests. The problem is that this program won't let me know whether or not I'm accepted until early April - late even for REU's. So my question is: is it in poor taste to ask for early consideration of an application? My main concern is that this might come across as arrogant.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it would come across as arrogant at all. If you explain your situation and the reasons why you're asking for early consideration, then surely they'll see the position you're in and see that you really do need to make a decision quickly. Plus, it gives them some valuable info on why some applicants may have withdrawn their applications in the past, and perhaps even prompts them to consider making quicker decisions on who to accept for the REU if they are to attract all of the best students.

Also, what option but to ask them do you have anyway? If you just withdraw without saying anything, you only lose out, whereas if you ask for early consideration, you at least get a chance to perhaps get to know the decision fast enough. You could also hedge all of your bets on getting accepted, but I'm not sure how sensible that is, as I don't know the decision making process as far as REU's are concerned or what your "stats" are. I say just go for it, and don't overthink and preempt their responses.

I did that myself. The worst you would get a reply on the line of "we cannot consider anyone earlier". I got that one, as well as one very nice reply that tells me that I'm a strong candidate (followed by an official offer few days later). It certainly doesn't hurt to ask. (although I did feel bad about turning down that offer eventually because they are so nice about it).

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and did it. Like you said; worst case scenario is "no, you can't."

I understand the importance of finding the best fit for your research interests and background. It is completely understandable that you are considering a different program that may better align with your current interests. However, I can also understand your concern about coming across as arrogant by asking for early consideration of your application.

In my opinion, it is not in poor taste to inquire about the possibility of early consideration for an REU position. It is important to communicate your genuine interest in the program and your desire to make an informed decision about your options. It may be helpful to explain your situation and the timeline you are facing with the other offers. This can show that you are respectful of the REU program's application process and that you are not trying to rush them.

Furthermore, it is always better to be proactive and ask for what you need rather than assuming the answer will be no. The worst that can happen is that the program cannot accommodate your request, but at least you will have tried. It is also important to keep in mind that the REU program may have a limited number of spots and may not be able to make exceptions for early consideration. However, if you do not ask, you will never know.

In summary, it is not in poor taste to inquire about early consideration for an REU position, as long as you do so respectfully and with a genuine interest in the program. It is always better to communicate your needs and concerns rather than assuming the answer will be no. I wish you the best of luck in your decision-making process.

1. What is an REU position?

An REU (Research Experience for Undergraduates) position is a research opportunity for undergraduate students to work on a project in a specific field of study, usually in the sciences or engineering. It is a competitive program that provides students with hands-on research experience and exposure to graduate-level research.

2. Is it common to ask for an REU position early?

It is not uncommon for students to inquire about REU positions early, especially if they have a strong interest in a specific research project or mentor. However, it is important to keep in mind that the application deadlines and timelines for REU programs may vary, so it is best to check with the specific program for their requirements.

3. What is the benefit of asking for an REU position early?

Asking for an REU position early shows initiative and enthusiasm for the program, which can make a positive impression on the potential mentor or program director. It also allows for more time to prepare for the application process and potentially secure a spot in a competitive program.

4. How should I go about asking for an REU position early?

The best way to ask for an REU position early is to reach out to the potential mentor or program director via email or in person. Introduce yourself, express your interest in their research, and explain why you are interested in applying for their program. Be sure to be professional and polite in your communication.

5. Are there any drawbacks to asking for an REU position early?

There are no major drawbacks to asking for an REU position early, but it is important to keep in mind that the program may have a limited number of spots available and may not be able to guarantee a position until the official application process begins. Additionally, if you are not prepared to commit to the program early, it may be better to wait until the official application period.