Federal Judge Strikes Down Part of Obamacare Law

by talk2glenn
Tags: federal, judge, obamacare, strikes
Share this thread:
Al68
Dec29-10, 02:56 AM
P: 801
Quote Quote by Zefram View Post
This is a bit bewildering. It sounds like you're arguing for simplification and standardization of insurance market rules, which at the very least would require a base, uniform federal standard.
I don't want to speak for WhoWee, but the biggest obstacle to a free market caused by state regulations is not just that each state has different regs, but that citizens are not free to buy "out of state" insurance. Lifting that prohibition would end the necessity of each insurer having 50 different sets of regs to comply with, but would require no uniformity among state regs, or any federal standard. Each citizen could buy insurance from whichever state, and whichever company, he determined offered the best type of policy for him.
WhoWee
Dec29-10, 08:09 AM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by Zefram View Post
There's a trade-off that has to be made. Opting for complete standardization and centralization instead of granting states more autonomy would be attacked as a federal power grab, with bureaucrats in Washington ignoring the boots on the ground in the states who understand local conditions and needs. Granted, the exchanges that were authorized in the ACA often don't get credit for what they are anyway, but I think the benefits of this structure can outweigh the drawbacks, if they're implemented with the intent of achieving various health policy goals pursued by the states. After the last election, in many states that's far from certain.
I think you've touched on the heart of the issue. The Federal Government already controls every aspect of health care (as I've explained in earlier posts). The individual states control insurance regulations - which restricts trade and increases costs. The Feds don't want to unravel/untangle the "mess" at the state level - because it will look like a power grab.

I agree, the boots on the ground - the people most familiar with the problems are (IMO - once again) ignored.
SW VandeCarr
Jan7-11, 02:55 AM
P: 2,504
Quote Quote by drankin View Post
I don't think this can be compared to auto insurance. I can opt out of car insurance, I just won't be able to drive. The government can't require us to insure our bodies. That's a bit much.
I predict that in the future we will be required to get a license to operate our bodies.
nismaratwork
Jan8-11, 07:53 PM
P: 2,284
I predict that this Wednesday's vote to repeal the bill has been suspended already. Oh well, maybe next time someone won't snap in the reddest state on earth.
WhoWee
Jan13-11, 10:05 AM
Here's a little update on health care reform progress. I think we can all agree the insurance industry has been portrayed as the bad guys - correct?

Also, I've disclosed in nearly every thread on the topic that I'm professionally active in the insurance industry.

Accordingly, (I can't post specific carrier information) effective January 1, 2011 - several carriers have issued pay cuts of up to 50% to their career agents. That is, the commission-only sales force was notified that compensation for new business would be paid at a much lower rate. One example was for direct appointment reductions from 20% to 10% on health insurance products - other sub-agent agreements have comparable cuts.

Again, these agents work on a commission only basis and work very hard to build a book of business.

But who knows, if this strategy works, perhaps the same formula can be applied to Government workers - a 50% reduction of pay (and benefits - they have them - insurance agents typically don't) could lessen the deficit.
nismaratwork
Jan13-11, 10:10 AM
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
Here's a little update on health care reform progress. I think we can all agree the insurance industry has been portrayed as the bad guys - correct?

Also, I've disclosed in nearly every thread on the topic that I'm professionally active in the insurance industry.

Accordingly, (I can't post specific carrier information) effective January 1, 2011 - several carriers have issued pay cuts of up to 50% to their career agents. That is, the commission-only sales force was notified that compensation for new business would be paid at a much lower rate. One example was for direct appointment reductions from 20% to 10% on health insurance products - other sub-agent agreements have comparable cuts.

Again, these agents work on a commission only basis and work very hard to build a book of business.

But who knows, if this strategy works, perhaps the same formula can be applied to Government workers - a 50% reduction of pay (and benefits - they have them - insurance agents typically don't) could lessen the deficit.
Whaaaaat? I don't think people hate insurance AGENTS... it's the system as a whole, the costs imposed, and profits made by the corporation as a whole. I imagine that salaries and benefits for the people selling plans probably is about the same as any job, and cutting it seems cruel and without any benefit except to those people who the public DOES hate; the C class execs, and other upper management, and major investors who get concentrated profit. After all, it's hard to blame TONS of faceless investors within the 401K range of investment.

btw, I didn't know that you worked in insurance. You have my condolences.
WhoWee
Jan13-11, 10:23 AM
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
btw, I didn't know that you worked in insurance. You have my condolences.
I wear many hats.

The trend I see (with respect to insurance agents) is towards a less educated, lower paid, higher turnover, telemarketing format. This model requires people call in and be enrolled by a faceless person who can't possibly gauge the individual needs nor tailor solutions that fit their clients in both the short and long term.

Assuming healthcare reform fixes ALL of the problems in the under age and Medicare eligible categories - greatest concern is Long Term Care. Medicare does not address the needs of person beyond the first 100 days in a skilled nursing facility. Needless to say, long term nursing home care care is expensive and most people have no protection - many sign over their homes and go on Medicaid - another problem surely.
nismaratwork
Jan13-11, 12:25 PM
I wear many hats.

The trend I see (with respect to insurance agents) is towards a less educated, lower paid, higher turnover, telemarketing format. This model requires people call in and be enrolled by a faceless person who can't possibly gauge the individual needs nor tailor solutions that fit their clients in both the short and long term.

Assuming healthcare reform fixes ALL of the problems in the under age and Medicare eligible categories - greatest concern is Long Term Care. Medicare does not address the needs of person beyond the first 100 days in a skilled nursing facility. Needless to say, long term nursing home care care is expensive and most people have no protection - many sign over their homes and go on Medicaid - another problem surely.
That's a disturbing trend... I can't see how under-educated employees will pay off for the consumer (not that such is the point). I'm sorry that your industry is changing in such an unfortunate way, and I know exactly what you mean about the lack of skilled nursing, the involvement required for nursing care, and frankly... just plain old NURSES. We are in trouble, whatever the cause (we don't need to agree), we can agree that trouble is-ah-comin'
WhoWee
Jan13-11, 12:38 PM
That's a disturbing trend... I can't see how under-educated employees will pay off for the consumer (not that such is the point).
Have you ever called 1-800-Medicare and asked a specific question?
nismaratwork
Jan13-11, 12:39 PM
Have you ever called 1-800-Medicare and asked a specific question?
Yes... I've also been hit in the head with a car's trunk. Very similar in a kind of ephemeral, but lasting way.
WhoWee
Jan13-11, 12:45 PM
Yes... I've also been hit in the head with a car's trunk. Very similar in a kind of ephemeral, but lasting way.

Register to reply