Register to reply

Rotations conceptually

by Opus_723
Tags: conceptually, rotations
Share this thread:
Opus_723
Feb16-11, 08:29 PM
P: 179
This isn't a homework question, but I'm having trouble understanding something about rotations conceptually. While reading about the Euler Identity online, I keep running into a few things that I can't wrap my head around and never come with an explanation.

Here are the concepts I can't understand:

A half-turn is the square of a quarter turn.
Rotations cannot be added, only multiplied.

Why is this? Intuitively, if I'm thinking about rotating by a quarter turn, then another quarter turn, I add them together to get a half turn. Instead, it appears I have to multiply the quarter turn by itself. I don't understand this.

pi equals 2(pi/2), not (pi^2)/4

Basically, I keep running across descriptions of rotations as exponential growth, whereas all I can see when looking at them is linear growth. How are rotations exponential?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
chiro
Feb16-11, 08:42 PM
P: 4,572
Consider the rotation matrix R that does you're quarter turn.

In a nutshell what it is saying is that your half turn is represented by

R(R(X)) where X is your point assuming you are rotating the point about the origin.

Consider your quarter turn to be R x X = X(0)

Apply that same rotation R x X(0) applies the rotation to the result of the 1st rotation.

So essentially R^2(X) is applying the same rotation "twice" hence the half turn result.

If you want to prove this rigorously, create the rotation matrix R using the definition of your rotation and calculate R^2 and see what you get for each individual entry in your resultant matrix R^2.

Register to reply