What's the sharpest knife on earth?

by Chaos' lil bro Order
Tags: earth, knife, sharpest
Chaos' lil bro Order
Jul29-09, 05:51 PM
P: 684
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
I learned how to knap obsidian blades from an instruction set and some materials and basic tools gotten from an anthropologist. The flakes are incredibly sharp. He sold flakes to a company that mounted them in autoclave-able SS handles. Those scalpels were very popular with plastic surgeons. They cut cells rather than tear them like metal blades can do, so there was a lot less scarring and swelling, and shorter recovery-times. All very good things when you are cutting up movie stars and millionaires for a living.

Edit: Necroposting can be fun!
That is very interesting turbo. One can even cut a single cell in two, and cleanly!
Chaos' lil bro Order
Jul29-09, 05:54 PM
P: 684
Quote Quote by stewartcs View Post
Come on guys, eveyone knows the Ginsu is the sharpest!
:) funnyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy and trueeeeeeeeeee.
n.Die_yOngKIN
May2-10, 06:36 AM
P: 1
Can't they use aggregated diamond for the blades? I'm pretty damn sure that they will literally SEVER the crap out of any blade, more than the floppy damascus steel.
moldmaker
Feb21-11, 08:58 AM
this site is super informative and scientific in its approach, event to the level of steal analsis graph, and why some steals have there place while other's have other places, by the way this is my first post :D

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml
FulForceOfChi
Feb21-11, 01:40 PM
P: 5
I have found through personal experience that hand forged, folded carbon steel blades are superior in longevity and "staying power"

The "sharpest" knife would be the one that is sharpened to the finest edge/point, But once you get anything past razor "sharp-ness" you begin to lose strength in the blades fabric and layers.

The `sharper you grind a blade or cut a blade edge the more Brittle it becomes, Using dense tough metals like tungsten is a bad idea, this metal is not good to work with on the Anvil, it also chips alot and fractures. A combination of soft metals and hard metals is needed to produce a "perfect" blade, you need shock absorbance and a hard edge that can also become flexible when tension is applied to prevent breakage.

Research into the Art of Sword "Smithing", they have it down to a science and have since fuedal japanese era. Diamond edge cutting tools have been around for a long time though obviously.

Regards.
SteamKing
Mar8-11, 09:18 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,545
That's easy. The sharpest knife on earth is Occam's Razor.
jhguth
Jan12-12, 05:25 PM
P: 2
Hello there,

In my biophysics research days at UC Berkeley, I was trained to use a transmission electron microscope and to prepare biological specimens for that technique. The ultramicrotome is the thinnest sectioning instrument that I have used, producing ultrathin sections of epoxy-embedded cellular microstructures that are only a few molecules thick. It can cut even down to a single molecule thick though that was too thin for our purposes. It used either commercially produced diamond knives which lasted a long time but were horrendously expensive or we could prepare our own glass knives with a special tool used to break thick glass pieces in a predetermined way. Those edges were actually the sharpest that could be made but would have a limited lifespan before needing replacement. My answer to you is that glass actually fractures conchoidally into the sharpest edges around.
danwood
Feb8-12, 08:23 PM
I would guess Obsidian. Surgical knives made of this high carbon material can produce an edge as sharp as 3 nanometer - and still not show any serration!
turbo
Feb9-12, 12:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Obsidian rules. You can try all kinds of tricks with glass/metal, etc, but still there are some natural materials that just can't be equaled.

Register to reply