Craft Beers, Microbreweries and Homebrewing

by Astronuc
Tags: beers, craft, homebrewing, microbreweries
nismaratwork
Mar14-11, 08:53 PM
P: 2,281
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
If I wanted to start some hops this spring (I've got a perfect spot). Would this be an okay one?

http://seedrack.com/indiv/humulus_lu...FYvsKgodpj64EA

Expensive little seeds aren't they?
Given how much they'll yield, I'd sy go for it.
Insanity
Mar14-11, 08:56 PM
P: 60
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
If I wanted to start some hops this spring (I've got a perfect spot). Would this be an okay one?

http://seedrack.com/indiv/humulus_lu...FYvsKgodpj64EA

Expensive little seeds aren't they?
Doesn't really say what type they are, all hops are Humulus lupulus. They could be Cascade, Apollo, Amarillo, Fuggles, Kent Goldings, doesn't say there as far I saw. I'd ask them if possible.

$3.62 / 50 seeds really isn't bad for the potential number of plants. Local shop usually sells hops rhizomes $7.50 each, so if you could get half to grow, you did quite well.

I'd get them soon, not sure what the seasons are like near you, but might be good to get seedlings going before actual planting time. A little headstart.

**Edit: sent them an email, depending on the answer, I may get some.
nismaratwork
Mar14-11, 09:02 PM
How long to do the seeds keep? Could I buy some and plant next season?
turbo
Mar14-11, 09:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Quote Quote by nismaratwork View Post
Given how much they'll yield, I'd sy go for it.
Yield is quite low compared to fruits, vegetables, berries, etc. Those little hop-fruits are very light, so you need a lot of plants in a sunny location to satisfy a home-brewer.

When you see claims of $$$/lb in bulk, remember that those little pine-cone shaped fruits weigh not much more than a cotton ball. You need a lot of them to get money from your crops, so there is a need for (fixed or replaceable) structures to support the vines in acres and acres of fields, and you need to figure out how to till, fertilize, tend, and harvest them efficiently.

I hope to buy back my brewing equipment and give it another shot, but I won't need much more than a couple of sunny walls and trellises to start tinkering with hops again. It will be slow going, but I hope to have the time to tune in some decent beers.
Insanity
Mar14-11, 09:04 PM
How long to do the seeds keep? Could I buy some and plant next season?
Other then I know the germination percentage drops the longer seeds in general are kept, don't know. A year may not hurt.

Looks like I am Zone 5b/6a, those may do well here.
nismaratwork
Mar14-11, 09:06 PM
Quote Quote by turbo-1 View Post
Yield is quite low compared to fruits, vegetables, berries, etc. Those little hop-fruits are very light, so you need a lot of plants in a sunny location to satisfy a home-brewer.

When you see claims of $$$/lb in bulk, remember that those little pine-cone shaped fruits weigh not much more than a cotton ball. You need a lot of them to get money from your crops, so there is a need for (fixed or replaceable) structures to support the vines in acres and acres of fields, and you need to figure out how to till, fertilize, tend, and harvest them efficiently.

I hope to buy back my brewing equipment and give it another shot, but I won't need much more than a couple of sunny walls and trellises to start tinkering with hops again. It will be slow going, but I hope to have the time to tune in some decent beers.
Well, in a wayward youth I bought a similar plant which operates under similar weight/volume principles... potency was the issue there. If you're not making something like an IPA, do you really need a ton of hops?
Insanity
Mar14-11, 09:07 PM

If he gets half the seeds to germinate into mature plants, he'd probably have enough for him for sure, and maybe other brewing friends. Fairly sure each plant can produce 1-2# a year, even if only 10 mature, still 10-20# a year. 160-320 oz is a lot when you only use a few oz per batch. Not enough really to sell as a business to local breweries, but enough likely for homebrew.
nismaratwork
Mar14-11, 09:07 PM
Quote Quote by Insanity View Post
Other then I know the germination percentage drops the longer seeds in general are kept, don't know. A year may not hurt.

Looks like I am Zone 5b/6a, those may do well here.
OK, excellent, thanks.
turbo
Mar14-11, 09:10 PM
PF Gold
If he gets half the seeds to germinate into mature plants, he'd probably have enough for him for sure, and maybe other brewing friends. Fairly sure each plant can produce 1-2# a year, even if only 10 mature, still 10-20# a year. 160-320 oz is a lot when you only use a few oz per batch. Not enough really to sell as a business to local breweries, but enough likely for homebrew.
Certainly. I harvested enough off the side of my old neighbors' horse barn to hop a few batches of beer every year. I was flying blind, though. This was 30+ years back with no guidance, except from the old-timers that had made home-brew back in the bad old days.
Insanity
Mar14-11, 09:13 PM
OK, excellent, thanks.
Montgomery Burns - "Excellent"
Insanity
Mar14-11, 09:16 PM
Certainly. I harvested enough off the side of my old neighbors' horse barn to hop a few batches of beer every year. I was flying blind, though. This was 30+ years back with no guidance, except from the old-timers that had made home-brew back in the bad old days.
Heck, if you just want to make beer, do whatever...add 4oz of mystery hops. Most of the styles came from people doing whatever they had to to make beer.

The dark color of the scottish ales comes from the tradition of skimming the floaties grain, that never malted, from the top of the mash, roasting them and adding them to the next mash vs. throwing them out.

Rule #1: Relax, have a hombrew...
Rule #2: Relax, have another homebrew...
Rule #3: Err...what?
nismaratwork
Mar14-11, 09:19 PM

There should be a 'Brumeister 2011' award, and you should have it Insanity.
turbo
Mar14-11, 09:19 PM
PF Gold
Heck, if you just want to make beer, do whatever...add 4oz of mystery hops. Most of the styles came from people doing whatever they had to to make beer.

The dark color of the scottish ales comes from the tradition of skimming the floaties grain, that never malted, from the top of the mash, roasting them and adding them to the next mash vs. throwing them out.

Rule #1: Relax, have a hombrew...
Rule #2: Relax, have another homebrew...
Rule #3: Err...what?
I think I recognize that plan.
Insanity
Mar14-11, 09:29 PM

There should be a 'Brumeister 2011' award, and you should have it Insanity.
Nice...thanks. Brewing is a science.

I think I recognize that plan.
After about 6 pints, you stop worrying about silly things.
turbo
Mar14-11, 09:34 PM
PF Gold
After about 6 pints, you stop worrying about silly things.
I could never have drunk 6 pints of anything I brewed. Wow!

Good rule about rules, though.
nismaratwork
Mar14-11, 09:36 PM
6 Pints of beer and I'm officially drunk, but I'm a big guy in every dimension, an half Russian-Polish, and the other Greek... so... yeah.

Still... 6 pints of liquid is a looooooooot of liquid!
Insanity
Mar14-11, 09:38 PM
I could never have drunk 6 pints of anything I brewed. Wow!
I was determine to drink 6 pints that night. I was successful, intoxicated, but successful.
Was home, so no major challenges getting to bed. Just the hallway, the bedroom door, the bed.
Insanity
Mar17-11, 06:11 PM
Assuming weather stays how it is, 60-70's, I plan on brewing this weekend.
Additionally might participate in the National Homebrew Competition the following weekend, don't need to be present and the local shop is offering to drive entries to Indianapolis at a fee less then shipping.

Register to reply