Efficient Automotive Timing Belt for Low Speed Applications

In summary, the choice of timing belt for a 60kw continuous system should be based on the power requirements and the size and type of pulley used.
robs314
I am choosing a timing belt for a 60kw continuous system at roughly 1100rpm. This is a relatively low speed application.
After using the belt selection programs written by Gates, Emerson and Goodyear, they all seem to point towards quite hefty installations with large pulley diameters and widths.

However, automotive belts must be able to transfer powers of this sort of magnitude, yet the pulleys used in these applications are much smaller.

I have found it very hard to find engineering manuals/specs for automotive belts. It seems only possible to search by car model type.

Does anyone know of any sources of automotive belt specs and manuals for the purpose of design?

Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I seriously doubt it takes 60 kw to turn over a camshaft. So I would say it's not apples to apples.

My application is not an automotive one. The motor that needs a belt really does develop 60Kw, which I accept is quite large.

Apart from the mismatch of power requirements, many production automobile belts are wimpy designs that are "throw away" replacement items. (On the last GM car I owned, the original 80,000m design life had been reduced to 40,000m, by which time not only was the belt just about shredded but the cheap plastic tensioning pulley was usually cracked as well. (Silly me for buying an American-designed engine, I guess).

40,000 miles is only about 1000 hours life. That's not much if you need something that runs continuously..

Also, power = force x velocity, so if you want high power at low RPM that will mean a bigger belt to take the bigger force, or large pulleys to increase the belt speed.

Many thanks for your replies

I had a suspicion that it was down to longetivity more than anything else. However, my application only needs to be operational for less time than a car's engine, so would it be wiser for me to go down the automotive route?
If it were a blower, or compressor or something running all day, I wouldn't hesitate with a larger spec.

Thanks

You're asking the belt to withstand almost 400 ft.lbs of torque. If you have a 4 inch pulley, that's almost 1200 lb of force acting to pull the belt apart. That's pretty serious.

How big a belt would you need to lift the front end of the average small car? The typical timing belt might survive but the teeth wouldn't.

Call the tech line at Gates and listen to the tech adviser.

It has put my mind at rest that I was following the right approach to start with. I just thought automotive belts should be worth looking at, that's all.

Your advice has meant that I will not have to spend any more time looking for automotive belting data.

I'm very grateful, thank you :)

1. What is an automotive timing belt?

An automotive timing belt is a rubber belt that connects the crankshaft and camshaft of an engine, ensuring that they rotate in perfect synchronization. It is a crucial component in the engine's operation, as it controls the opening and closing of the engine's valves.

2. How often should I replace my timing belt?

The recommended replacement interval for a timing belt varies depending on the make and model of your vehicle, but it is typically between 60,000 to 100,000 miles. It is important to follow your manufacturer's guidelines and have it replaced before it reaches its recommended mileage to avoid potential engine damage.

3. What are the signs of a failing timing belt?

Some common signs of a failing timing belt include difficulty starting the engine, rough idling, misfires, and a ticking noise coming from the engine. If you notice any of these symptoms, it is important to have your timing belt checked immediately to avoid potential engine damage.

4. How much does it cost to replace a timing belt?

The cost of replacing a timing belt can vary depending on the make and model of your vehicle, as well as the labor costs of the mechanic. On average, the cost can range from $500 to $1000. It is important to budget for this maintenance cost to ensure the longevity and proper functioning of your vehicle.

5. Can I replace my timing belt myself?

While it is possible to replace a timing belt yourself, it is not recommended unless you have experience and proper knowledge of automotive mechanics. Replacing a timing belt requires precise timing and can be a complex and time-consuming process. It is best to leave it to a trained professional to ensure it is done correctly.