Problem 1,v, Ch.1, Spivaks 4th Ed Calculus

by linwoodc3
Tags: algebra, exponent, number properties, proof, spivak
linwoodc3
Apr26-11, 11:59 AM
P: 1
Hi all:

Getting back into Physics so doing self study. Having an issue with Spivak's solution to Problem 1, v.
x^n - y^n= (x-y)(x^n-1+x^n-2y+....+xy^n-2+y^n-1

Got all the way to:
x^n+x^2y^n-2-x^n-2y^2-y^n

How do i get rid of the middle section?
Attached Thumbnails
Spivak,Ch1,#1,v.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Math modeling handbook now available
Hyperbolic homogeneous polynomials, oh my!
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
Mark44
Apr26-11, 01:44 PM
Mentor
P: 21,069
Quote Quote by linwoodc3 View Post
Hi all:

Getting back into Physics so doing self study. Having an issue with Spivak's solution to Problem 1, v.
x^n - y^n= (x-y)(x^n-1+x^n-2y+....+xy^n-2+y^n-1

Got all the way to:
x^n+x^2y^n-2-x^n-2y^2-y^n

How do i get rid of the middle section?
Your attachment is so fuzzy it's difficult to read, and the lack of parentheses above makes it harder to understand what you have written than it needs to be.

Are you trying to show that if you multiply the two factors in your first equation, you get xn - yn?

If so, multiplying the factors on the right gives
xn + xn - 1y - xn - 1y + xn - 2y2 - xn - 2y2 + ... + xyn - 1 - xyn - 1 - yn. Notice that instead of multiplying all of the terms in the larger factor by x, and then repeating the process by multiplying all of the terms by -y, I have instead alternated to get partial products where the exponents add up to the same value.

The first partial product is xn. The next two products come from multiplying x by xn -2y, resulting in xn-1y, and by multiplying -y by xn-1, resulting in -xn - 1y. These two terms add to zero, as do the following pairs of terms.

Doing the multiplication this way makes it clear that all but the first and last terms will drop out.

Register to reply