Register to reply

Coil gun

by Link Floyd
Tags: coilgun, magnet, railgun
Share this thread:
Link Floyd
May4-11, 08:27 PM
P: 2
I'm making a coil gun for a project, and ran into a few problems. I used a circuit from a disposable camera, which had a capacitor and charging circuit. I used two wires attached to the capacitor to connect the circuit to my solenoid.
However, after charging the capacitor, nothing seems to work. When I connect the wire from the solenoid to the one coming out of the circuit, I either get a spark, or nothing happens. I don't get any magnetic field, and my projectile doesn't launch. What could I have done wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
ideasrule
May4-11, 09:26 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,323
Have you calculated how much momentum you expect the coil gun to deliver? You need extremely high-capacity capacitors charged to extremely high voltages to get any results, since most of the capacitor's energy is wasted in heating the wires rather than delivering kinetic energy to the projectile.
Link Floyd
May5-11, 06:25 PM
P: 2
Thanks for the reply. My calculations are giving me enough momentum to shoot the projectile, but I must have either made an error there or on the circuit. I'll redo those. Thanks.

Register to reply