Register to reply

Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices

by gnulinger
Tags: boosts, lorentz, matrices, rotation
Share this thread:
gnulinger
May28-11, 11:37 PM
P: 30
I also posted this in the homework help for introductory physics, but it wasn't getting any responses, so I guess it's slightly more advanced.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Let L_b(a) denote the 4x4 matrix that gives a pure boost in the direction that makes an angle a with the x axis in the xy plane. Explain why this can be found as L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), where L_r(a) denotes the matrix that rotates the xy plane through the angle a and L_b(0) is the standard boost along the x axis.

2. Relevant equations
L_r(a) = {{cos(a), sin(a), 0 , 0}, {-sin(a), cos(a), 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}
L_r(-a) = {{cos(a), -sin(a), 0 , 0}, {sin(a), cos(a), 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {0, 0, 0, 1}}
L_b(0) = {{gamma, 0, 0, -gamma*beta}, {0, 1, 0, 0}, {0, 0, 1, 0}, {-gamma*beta, 0, 0, gamma}}

3. The attempt at a solution
Normally, to get a boost-plus-rotation we use L_b(a) = L_r(a)*L_b(0)
If L_b(a) = L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a), then it should be true that
L_r(-a)*L_b(0)*L_r(a) = L_r(a)*L_b(0)

I tried to show that this last equation was true by going through the long matrix calculations, but I get that the two sides of the equation are not equal. I can't find any errors in my arithmetic, so I'm assuming there's something wrong with my reasoning.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
sgd37
May29-11, 06:01 AM
P: 205
L(-a)B(0)L(a) tells you to start with a vector in the xy plane rotate it so that it is along the x axis boost it and then rotate it back to its original angle in the xy plane. L(a)B(0) tells you to start with a vector along the x axis boost and then rotate. So defining v to be a vector in the xy plane and L(a)v the corresponding vector along the x axis. Then the boosted v along the x axis is L(a)B(v)v = B(0)L(a)v
gnulinger
May29-11, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the reply. I don't follow the last part of your post though. If v is a vector in the xy plane, wouldn't L(-a)v be the corresponding vector along the x axis? I also dont understand how L(a)B(v)v = B(0)L(a)v.

sgd37
May29-11, 11:13 AM
P: 205
Lorentz boosts and rotation matrices

it is L(a)v since that is what you gave me anyway it doesn't matter as long as we have opposites in L(-a)B(0)L(a). B(v)v = v' is a boosted vector along v which we can rotate to get a vector along x i.e L(a)v'. However this is the same as getting the original vector v rotating it so that it is along the x axis and then boosting i.e. B(0)L(a)v
gnulinger
May29-11, 11:40 AM
I guess that makes sense, but my linear algebra skills aren't so great. I thought that you would normally get the rotated and boosted vector B(a) by L(a)*B(0).

I think my confusion is coming from the difference between a pure boost and something like L(a)*B(0). What is the difference?

Is it that when you have L(a)*B(0), or a boost followed by a rotation, that you get Thomas precession, and the pure boost avoids that?

Register to reply