Double major: Astronautics & Astronomypossible?

In summary: Hi samsung90, almost all engineering majors inevitably share a few course requirements with Astronomy simply because they're science/engineering fields. They're the same requirements that an electrical engineer or mechanical engineer or maybe even a chemistry major would have to take, but none of those have any overlap with astronomy.
samsung90
Double major: Astronautics & Astronomy..possible??

From the little research I've done, I've gathered that to double major at any university, there must be great overlap in the topics studied/researched (phd) associated with the degrees.

I am curious as to how accurate this is and also as to how much overlap Astronautics has with Astronomy.

Since Astronautics is a "space-focused" form of aerospace engineering and Astronomy is the application of physical laws to explain cosmic phenomena, it seems to me there would be extensive overlap and therefore potential for a combined or double major/degree.

( I am referring to the double major in which both degrees are acquired simultaneously; I am not referring to finishing one and returning to finish a second)

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

There is absolutely no overlap between the two fields. One is an engineering field and one is a natural science.

Hi samsung90, even i wanted to do the same thing..Aerospace engineering and Cosmology..As Pengwuino Said its true One is an engineering field and one is a natural science.
but you have a option like if possible 1st complete Astronautics and then after that when u find job some where do it parallely...

@ pegwuino: At first i rationalized the same thing as I've long known the distinctness between the two. However in my area, the university i am most likely going to has a lot of the same math and physics courses for each degree, right down to the course number; this is actually what prompted me to start the thread.

thanks tho,
samysung

samsung90 said:
@ pegwuino: At first i rationalized the same thing as I've long known the distinctness between the two. However in my area, the university i am most likely going to has a lot of the same math and physics courses for each degree, right down to the course number; this is actually what prompted me to start the thread.

thanks tho,
samysung

Almost all engineering majors inevitably share a few course requirements with Astronomy simply because they're science/engineering fields. They're the same requirements that an electrical engineer or mechanical engineer or maybe even a chemistry major would have to take, but none of those have any overlap with astronomy.

samsung90 said:

thanks tho,
samysung
While true, that will barely get you into your second year. From there on, there will be no overlap in required major coursework.

1. What is a double major in Astronautics & Astronomy?

A double major in Astronautics & Astronomy is an academic program that allows students to simultaneously pursue two undergraduate degrees in both fields. This means that students will have a comprehensive understanding of space exploration, as well as the study of celestial objects and phenomena.

2. What are the benefits of double majoring in Astronautics & Astronomy?

The benefits of double majoring in Astronautics & Astronomy include a well-rounded education in both fields, which can lead to a variety of career opportunities. Additionally, this combination of majors allows for a deeper understanding of the relationship between space and celestial objects.

3. How long does it take to complete a double major in Astronautics & Astronomy?

The time it takes to complete a double major in Astronautics & Astronomy will vary depending on the specific program and the individual's course load. However, on average, it takes about 4-5 years to complete both degrees.

4. What type of courses can I expect to take in a double major in Astronautics & Astronomy?

Students pursuing a double major in Astronautics & Astronomy will take a combination of courses in physics, mathematics, engineering, and astronomy. These courses will cover topics such as space exploration, celestial mechanics, astrophysics, and more.

5. What career opportunities are available for those with a double major in Astronautics & Astronomy?

With a double major in Astronautics & Astronomy, career opportunities include working as an astronaut, aerospace engineer, astrophysicist, research scientist, and more. Graduates with this combination of majors are highly sought after in the aerospace industry and in research institutions.