I need some good advice

by ghostman97
Tags: advice
ghostman97
Jun17-11, 06:11 PM
P: 6
see im going into eight grade next year and i am seriously looking into electrical engineering, im talking college and jobs, please give some advice thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
WSU innovation improves drowsy driver detection
Faster computation of electromagnetic interference on an electronic circuit board
berkeman
Jun17-11, 09:32 PM
Mentor
P: 39,720
Quote Quote by ghostman97 View Post
see im going into eight grade next year and i am seriously looking into electrical engineering, im talking college and jobs, please give some advice thanks in advance
Good for you. EE is a very good career option, although it requires a lot of study and work. But it sounds like you are up for it.

The two basic pieces of advice I give aspiring EEs is to read "The Art of Electronics" cover to cover, and to start building elecronics kits that interest you.

There are more advanced steps after that, but the AoE and a couple of fun kits go a long way to building your future, IMO.

Go well (from Studiot).
ghostman97
Jun17-11, 09:35 PM
P: 6
thank you for the answer

Mike_In_Plano
Jun17-11, 11:04 PM
P: 557

I need some good advice

This is just a personal preference, and it's not the road for everyone, but America needs advanced thinkers. I challenge students to seek out more than what they find in the classroom. Applied mathematicians, engineers that spent internships engineering, students that spend the extra time to decode the vagaries of the subject rather than studying for the test; these are what America needs.
Working minimum wage in test facilities, assembly houses, or in some cases the Navy, these are good ways to learn not only how things work, but how we apply them.

I Wish You Well,
Mike

Register to reply