Why is electromagnetism defined as a non-integrable phase factor?

• Thread starter lennyleonard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Path
In summary, The conversation discusses why electromagnetism is defined as a non-integrable phase factor and how a path can be specified for e^{\theta}. The participants also mention a mistake in posting and apologize for it.
lennyleonard
Hi everyone!

I can't figure out why electromagnetism is defined a non integrable phase factor (or path dependent), referring to the element of the Lie group U1 to which it (the phase factor) belongs.

Why it's said to be non-integrable? And, precisely, how do we specify a path for the [itex]e^{\theta}[/itex] ?
By parametrizing a path with respect to [itex]\theta[/itex]?Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
double posts are against the rules here. I suggest you delete one of them lest you annoy the mods.

You are absolutely right Phinds!
The truth is I've posted this in the algebra section but then i realized that this was the best section to post in.

If tou tell me how to delete a post i'll be glad to do that.

Sorry for the issue!

lennyleonard said:
You are absolutely right Phinds!
The truth is I've posted this in the algebra section but then i realized that this was the best section to post in.

If tou tell me how to delete a post i'll be glad to do that.

Sorry for the issue!

Hm ... I thought there was a way, but I can't find it. You can always ask a mod to delete one for you I guess.

What is "Lie path dependent factor"?

"Lie path dependent factor" refers to a mathematical concept in the field of differential geometry, which is used to describe the behavior of curves and surfaces in space. It is a measure of how much the path of a point on a curve or surface depends on the starting position and direction.

How is "Lie path dependent factor" calculated?

The calculation of "Lie path dependent factor" involves the use of differential equations and tensor calculus. It is a complex process that requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and techniques. In simple terms, it involves calculating the difference between the tangent vectors at two different points on a curve or surface.

What is the significance of "Lie path dependent factor" in science?

"Lie path dependent factor" has many applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. It is used to describe the motion of particles and objects in space, and is also important in the study of fluid dynamics and elasticity. It helps scientists understand the behavior of physical systems and make accurate predictions.

Can "Lie path dependent factor" be negative?

Yes, "Lie path dependent factor" can be negative. This indicates that the path of a point on a curve or surface is dependent on the initial position and direction, but in the opposite direction to what would be expected. This can happen when dealing with non-Euclidean spaces and curved surfaces.

How does "Lie path dependent factor" relate to other mathematical concepts?

"Lie path dependent factor" is closely related to other mathematical concepts such as curvature and torsion. It is also linked to the Jacobian matrix and the determinant of a transformation. These concepts all help to describe the behavior of curves and surfaces in space and are used in various fields of science and engineering.