Register to reply

Quantum Mechanics Textbook Suggestion

by James98765
Tags: mechanics, quantum, suggestion, textbook
Share this thread:
James98765
Jul18-11, 12:43 AM
P: 30
I'm currently on the searching for a Quantum Mechanics textbook. Does anybody have suggestions for me? Below is a brief description of myself to explain my education level:

I am a thrid year mechanical engineering major. I'm about to complete Physics for Scientists and Engineers: A Strategic Approach by Randall D. Knight. I have only studied the introductory topics of one dimensional quantum mechanics and some atomic structure concepts. Additionally, I have a good grasp on special relativity. My math experience includes single variable calculus, multivariable calculus, linear algebra, and introductory differential equations.

I am hoping to find a textbook that is very comphrensive, a little above my skill level, and well written.

Thanks for your help.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
physiker_192
Jul18-11, 10:02 AM
P: 246
I would suggest the following by Konishi & Paffuti:

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechan...1000891&sr=8-1

I really like the way K&P is written, also its content spans a wide range of topics (150 pages of appendices, 800pages total).

And it can be supplemented with Zettili's if needed (the derivations here are complete, but it is short on some concepts) :
http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechan...1000942&sr=1-1
qspeechc
Jul19-11, 02:37 PM
P: 792
The OP has only taken, so I gather, a calculus based general physics course. I don't know if it's a good idea to jump straight into a proper QM book. But who knows. You can borrow the books from the library and see if they are what you want first.

Register to reply