Register to reply

Transposition of a matrix

by matqkks
Tags: linear alegbra, matrices, transpose
Share this thread:
matqkks
Jul21-11, 06:04 AM
P: 153
Why is the transpose of a matrix important?
To find the inverse by cofactors we need the transpose but I would never find the inverse of a matrix by using cofactors.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Fredrik
Jul21-11, 06:16 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,420
I think the main reason why the transpose is useful is that the standard inner product on the vector space of n1 matrices is [itex]\langle x,y\rangle=x^Ty[/itex]. This implies that a rotation R must satisfy [itex]R^TR=I[/itex].

I think that cofactor stuff is sometimes useful in proofs, but you're right that if you just want to find the inverse of a given matrix, there are better ways to do it.
kdbnlin78
Jul21-11, 08:45 AM
P: 34
There are of course many ways to invert a matrix but thie is not the only use for the transpose.

Systems of linear equations can be reformulated into matrix systems by looking at the equation xAx^{T} = b where x is a n x 1 column vector with entries {x_{1},...,x_{n}} and Z is a square matrix n x n with entries (for real valued equations, say) in /mathbb{R}. The matrix b is then also an $n x 1$ column matrix of numbers in /mathbb{R} too.

Register to reply