Tags: sequences, sets
Share this thread:
Fredrik
Jul26-11, 12:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,279
Anyone have a good example of a closed subset of a topological space that isn't closed under limits of sequences?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
micromass
Jul26-11, 01:04 PM
Mentor
P: 18,099
Hi Frederik!

Every closed set of a topological space is closed under limits of sequences! It's the converse that's not true. That is: there are sets which are not closed but which are still closed under limits of sequences.

For example, take the cocountable topology. Let X be a set and set

[tex]\mathcal{T}=\{A\subseteq X~\vert~X\setminus A~\text{is countable}\}\cup\{\emptyset\}[/tex]

Every convergent sequence in this topology is (eventually) a constant sequence. Thus all sets are closed under limits of sequences. But not all sets are closed, of course.

Some terminology: a set that is closed under limits of sequences is called sequentially closed. A topological space where closed is equivalent with sequentially closed, is called a sequential space. As is well-known, all first-countable spaces are sequential.
Fredrik
Jul26-11, 02:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,279
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Hi Frederik!
Hi. I actually laughed out loud when I went back here after only ten minutes and saw that you had already replied. It's appreciated, as always. (I had to go out for a while after that. I would have replied sooner otherwise).

Every closed set of a topological space is closed under limits of sequences! It's the converse that's not true.
Ah yes. I actually had that right in my mind a few minutes earlier, but somehow got it wrong anyway when I made the post. This is what I was thinking before my IQ suddenly dropped 50 points: In a metric space, a set is closed if and only if it's closed under limits of sequences. In a topological space, the corresponding statement is that a set is closed if and only if it's closed under limits of nets. Since sequences are nets, a closed set must be closed under limits of sequences. These statements suggest that there's a set E that's closed under limits of sequences and still isn't closed. Then there should exist a convergent net in E, that converges to a point in Ec. That's the sort of thing I originally meant to ask for an example of, but your example illustrates the point as well.

[tex]\mathcal{T}=\{A\subseteq X~\vert~X\setminus A~\text{is countable}\}\cup\{\emptyset\}[/tex]

Every convergent sequence in this topology is (eventually) a constant sequence. Thus all sets are closed under limits of sequences.
It took me a while to understand this, but I get it now. It's a good example. It's a weird topology since even 1/n→0 is false in this topology. I think I also see an example of the kind I originally had in mind: Consider the cocountable topology on ℝ. Let E be the set of positive real numbers. Let I be the set of all open neighborhoods of 0 that have a non-empty intersection with E. Let the preorder on I be reverse inclusion. For each i in I, choose xi in i. This defines a net in E with limit 0, which is not a member of E.

Some terminology: a set that is closed under limits of sequences is called sequentially closed. A topological space where closed is equivalent with sequentially closed, is called a sequential space. As is well-known, all first-countable spaces are sequential.
Thanks. I wasn't familiar with this terminology.

micromass
Jul26-11, 10:12 PM
Mentor
Sequences and closed sets.

Now that I think of it, your question would actually make an ideal exam question for my topology students So that's one less question I need to come up with. Thanks a lot!
wisvuze
Jul26-11, 10:26 PM
P: 367
Hi micromass, if you remember us talking about topology books in the PF chatroom, this is discussed in the topology book by wilansky: http://www.amazon.com/Topology-Analy...1736932&sr=8-1

and the exact same answer/example is given too, with the cocountable topology and how every sequence would have to be eventually constant. ( it's cool! )
Not that I'm contributing much to the conversation, but I just wanted to point that out
micromass
Jul26-11, 10:30 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by wisvuze View Post
Hi micromass, if you remember us talking about topology books in the PF chatroom, this is discussed in the topology book by wilansky: http://www.amazon.com/Topology-Analy...1736932&sr=8-1

and the exact same answer/example is given too, with the cocountable topology and how every sequence would have to be eventually constant. ( it's cool! )
Not that I'm contributing much to the conversation, but I just wanted to point that out
It's too bad that I can't seem to find that book anywhere I've looked around for it, because I really want to read it. (I'm actually interested in the exercises)

Register to reply