Register to reply

Velocity of water out of reservoir.

by John09
Tags: reservoir, velocity, water
Share this thread:
John09
Aug12-11, 06:17 PM
P: 2
I have a cylindrical tank and I know that the efflux speed is proportional to the square root of the depth of the hole from the surface. So u=k sqrt(w). I need to algebraically determine the constant or k in that situation. Has anyone got any ideas as to how I should approach this? I was thinking that I could try and find the acceleration in i and j components and integrate it for velocity but didn't get far.

Thanks for any help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
cjl
Aug12-11, 06:32 PM
P: 1,008
If you're ignoring the viscous effects, the efflux speed will be such that the dynamic pressure is equal to the static pressure just inside the hole. Dynamic pressure is 1/2*rho*v2, so rearranging for v, we can get that v = sqrt(2*p/rho). Since the pressure in a tank is simply from hydrostatic equilibrium (P = rho*g*h), we can plug in for P:

v = sqrt(2*rho*g*h/rho) = sqrt(2*g*h).

So, your constant is sqrt(2g).
John09
Aug12-11, 07:04 PM
P: 2
Hm I don't think taking pressure into account is necessary as it is not part of our coursework.

CDCraig123
Aug14-11, 01:23 AM
P: 32
Velocity of water out of reservoir.

If you want to know the velocity in fluid dynamics you need to know 2 things. Volume and pressure to find velocity. Unless you can invent some kinda new math cjl is right.

Register to reply