Quit my Job

by S_Happens
Tags: quit
S_Happens
Aug20-11, 07:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 301
I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday and two weeks from tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

I quit to go back to school full time. I posted a related topic back in January, but I was able to work through the semester and take the two classes. I did well, worked all summer, and got accepted into the ME program. My classes start on Monday and I have 6 semesters to go.

I'm both excited about the opportunity and anxious about leaving a very secure job that I actually enjoy quite a bit. That said, the job isn't all gravy and I won't ever have a better opportunity to go back, so I'm taking it. I worked hard for the past 4.5 years to make this possible and I know there's still a lot of hard work ahead of me (albeit quite different).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Evo
Aug20-11, 07:52 PM
Mentor
P: 25,928
Good luck S!
micromass
Aug20-11, 07:57 PM
Mentor
P: 16,562
I hope you enjoy your studies S!! What are you going to study?

S_Happens
Aug20-11, 07:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 301

Quit my Job

Mechanical Engineering
micromass
Aug20-11, 07:59 PM
Mentor
P: 16,562
Ah, that explains the ME in your post
Have fun with it!
Ivan92
Aug20-11, 08:05 PM
P: 181
It is never easy to leave a secure job, but I know you have made a major step forward in your life! No regrets! Have fun!
KrisOhn
Aug20-11, 08:07 PM
P: 267
It's a difficult step in the right direction, congratulations, now you have the momentum, let it carry you far. Good luck!
Astronuc
Aug20-11, 10:15 PM
Admin
P: 21,628
Quote Quote by S_Happens View Post
I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday and two weeks from tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

I quit to go back to school full time. I posted a related topic back in January, but I was able to work through the semester and take the two classes. I did well, worked all summer, and got accepted into the ME program. My classes start on Monday and I have 6 semesters to go.

I'm both excited about the opportunity and anxious about leaving a very secure job that I actually enjoy quite a bit. That said, the job isn't all gravy and I won't ever have a better opportunity to go back, so I'm taking it. I worked hard for the past 4.5 years to make this possible and I know there's still a lot of hard work ahead of me (albeit quite different).
Best wishes and good luck with your academic pursuits!
mcknia07
Aug20-11, 11:08 PM
P: 320
Good luck! I've been contemplating the same idea here recently. Let me know how it goes. I have about 6-8 classes and I'll have my degree in ME. Easier said than done with working a huge amount of hours with no extra help at work. Best of luck! I know it will work out for you:)
turbo
Aug21-11, 12:39 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Good luck, S_Happens. It's unsettling to leave your comfort-zone, sometimes, but it is often necessary to your growth. I have been very fortunate to have a wife that is very supportive and who has faith in my abilities, so I've been able to job-hop freely in order to pursue the best jobs that were available to me.
Borek
Aug21-11, 03:21 AM
Admin
P: 22,670
Good luck SH. Hard to achieve something without taking risks, I wish you it will pay off
Topher925
Aug21-11, 09:37 AM
P: 1,672
I did the same thing a few years ago when I left my job to go to grad school full time. I don't regret it one bit.
flyingpig
Aug21-11, 10:25 AM
P: 2,568
Your previous job was?
Astronuc
Aug21-11, 10:25 AM
Admin
P: 21,628
Quote Quote by mcknia07 View Post
Good luck! I've been contemplating the same idea here recently. Let me know how it goes. I have about 6-8 classes and I'll have my degree in ME. Easier said than done with working a huge amount of hours with no extra help at work. Best of luck! I know it will work out for you:)
Good luck to you to, mck!
G01
Aug21-11, 10:55 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,688
Good luck S!
Jack21222
Aug21-11, 11:15 AM
P: 771
Good luck!

Yesterday was my last day at my job. After working full time and taking 15 credits a semester for the past 4 semesters, I just can't do it anymore. Now I get to give my final year of undergrad my full attention.
lisab
Aug21-11, 12:07 PM
Mentor
P: 2,915
Quote Quote by S_Happens View Post

Soooo....can I have your old job ?
WatermelonPig
Aug21-11, 01:54 PM
P: 140
Nice username but don't think of your situation like that. Sounds like you got a good plan.

Register to reply