Quit my Job

by S_Happens
Tags: quit
Share this thread:
S_Happens
Aug20-11, 07:46 PM
PF Gold
P: 302
I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday and two weeks from tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

I quit to go back to school full time. I posted a related topic back in January, but I was able to work through the semester and take the two classes. I did well, worked all summer, and got accepted into the ME program. My classes start on Monday and I have 6 semesters to go.

I'm both excited about the opportunity and anxious about leaving a very secure job that I actually enjoy quite a bit. That said, the job isn't all gravy and I won't ever have a better opportunity to go back, so I'm taking it. I worked hard for the past 4.5 years to make this possible and I know there's still a lot of hard work ahead of me (albeit quite different).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Evo
Aug20-11, 07:52 PM
Mentor
P: 26,524
Good luck S!
micromass
Aug20-11, 07:57 PM
Mentor
P: 18,240
I hope you enjoy your studies S!! What are you going to study?

S_Happens
Aug20-11, 07:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 302
Quit my Job

Mechanical Engineering
micromass
Aug20-11, 07:59 PM
Mentor
P: 18,240
Ah, that explains the ME in your post
Have fun with it!
Ivan92
Aug20-11, 08:05 PM
P: 181
It is never easy to leave a secure job, but I know you have made a major step forward in your life! No regrets! Have fun!
KrisOhn
Aug20-11, 08:07 PM
P: 269
It's a difficult step in the right direction, congratulations, now you have the momentum, let it carry you far. Good luck!
Astronuc
Aug20-11, 10:15 PM
Admin
P: 21,866
Quote Quote by S_Happens View Post
I turned in my letter of resignation yesterday and two weeks from tomorrow I'll be unemployed.

I quit to go back to school full time. I posted a related topic back in January, but I was able to work through the semester and take the two classes. I did well, worked all summer, and got accepted into the ME program. My classes start on Monday and I have 6 semesters to go.

I'm both excited about the opportunity and anxious about leaving a very secure job that I actually enjoy quite a bit. That said, the job isn't all gravy and I won't ever have a better opportunity to go back, so I'm taking it. I worked hard for the past 4.5 years to make this possible and I know there's still a lot of hard work ahead of me (albeit quite different).
Best wishes and good luck with your academic pursuits!
mcknia07
Aug20-11, 11:08 PM
P: 321
Good luck! I've been contemplating the same idea here recently. Let me know how it goes. I have about 6-8 classes and I'll have my degree in ME. Easier said than done with working a huge amount of hours with no extra help at work. Best of luck! I know it will work out for you:)
turbo
Aug21-11, 12:39 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Good luck, S_Happens. It's unsettling to leave your comfort-zone, sometimes, but it is often necessary to your growth. I have been very fortunate to have a wife that is very supportive and who has faith in my abilities, so I've been able to job-hop freely in order to pursue the best jobs that were available to me.
Borek
Aug21-11, 03:21 AM
Admin
P: 23,535
Good luck SH. Hard to achieve something without taking risks, I wish you it will pay off
Topher925
Aug21-11, 09:37 AM
P: 1,672
I did the same thing a few years ago when I left my job to go to grad school full time. I don't regret it one bit.
flyingpig
Aug21-11, 10:25 AM
P: 2,568
Your previous job was?
Astronuc
Aug21-11, 10:25 AM
Admin
P: 21,866
Quote Quote by mcknia07 View Post
Good luck! I've been contemplating the same idea here recently. Let me know how it goes. I have about 6-8 classes and I'll have my degree in ME. Easier said than done with working a huge amount of hours with no extra help at work. Best of luck! I know it will work out for you:)
Good luck to you to, mck!
G01
Aug21-11, 10:55 AM
HW Helper
P: 2,685
Good luck S!
Jack21222
Aug21-11, 11:15 AM
P: 772
Good luck!

Yesterday was my last day at my job. After working full time and taking 15 credits a semester for the past 4 semesters, I just can't do it anymore. Now I get to give my final year of undergrad my full attention.
lisab
Aug21-11, 12:07 PM
Mentor
P: 2,985
Quote Quote by S_Happens View Post

Soooo....can I have your old job ?
WatermelonPig
Aug21-11, 01:54 PM
P: 140
Nice username but don't think of your situation like that. Sounds like you got a good plan.

Register to reply