Is tan|x| periodic?

by Bassalisk
Tags: periodic, tan|x|
Bassalisk
Aug31-11, 05:59 PM
P: 951
Is tan|x| periodic and if not, why not?

I just found in my book that tan|x| isn't periodic, and how do we make up a rule how to seek periodicity of functions.

I.e.

ln(sin(x)), e^sin(x)... etc
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Review: With Galaxy S5, Samsung proves less can be more
Making graphene in your kitchen
Study casts doubt on climate benefit of biofuels from corn residue
disregardthat
Aug31-11, 06:06 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,690
Find a constant a such that f(x+a) = f(x). So basically you can solve for a function a(x) here, and make sure its a constant function.
jambaugh
Aug31-11, 07:48 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,767
Plot the graph. Notice that if you erase the coordinate axes you can still see where the origin must lie.

Bassalisk
Sep1-11, 03:55 AM

Is tan|x| periodic?

Quote Quote by jambaugh View Post
Plot the graph. Notice that if you erase the coordinate axes you can still see where the origin must lie.
I did plot the graph, thats why i got confused. I saw a lot of functions, resembling tan(x). I got the feeling that it was periodic, but actually tan|x| isn't.
jambaugh
Sep2-11, 07:08 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,767
Quote Quote by Bassalisk View Post
I did plot the graph, thats why i got confused. I saw a lot of functions, resembling tan(x). I got the feeling that it was periodic, but actually tan|x| isn't.
Look at the graph closely. It should have a mirror symmetry around x=0. But notice it is not mirror symmetric around any other point. So you can't shift the graph through a period so it looks exactly the same.
Bassalisk
Sep2-11, 07:36 AM
Quote Quote by jambaugh View Post
Look at the graph closely. It should have a mirror symmetry around x=0. But notice it is not mirror symmetric around any other point. So you can't shift the graph through a period so it looks exactly the same.
Thank you I understand now. I had bad view of what it means to be periodic.

Register to reply