Is tan|x| periodic?

by Bassalisk
Tags: periodic, tan|x|
Bassalisk
Aug31-11, 05:59 PM
P: 951
Is tan|x| periodic and if not, why not?

I just found in my book that tan|x| isn't periodic, and how do we make up a rule how to seek periodicity of functions.

I.e.

ln(sin(x)), e^sin(x)... etc
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
disregardthat
Aug31-11, 06:06 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,707
Find a constant a such that f(x+a) = f(x). So basically you can solve for a function a(x) here, and make sure its a constant function.
jambaugh
Aug31-11, 07:48 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,767
Plot the graph. Notice that if you erase the coordinate axes you can still see where the origin must lie.

Bassalisk
Sep1-11, 03:55 AM

Is tan|x| periodic?

Quote Quote by jambaugh View Post
Plot the graph. Notice that if you erase the coordinate axes you can still see where the origin must lie.
I did plot the graph, thats why i got confused. I saw a lot of functions, resembling tan(x). I got the feeling that it was periodic, but actually tan|x| isn't.
jambaugh
Sep2-11, 07:08 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,767
Quote Quote by Bassalisk View Post
I did plot the graph, thats why i got confused. I saw a lot of functions, resembling tan(x). I got the feeling that it was periodic, but actually tan|x| isn't.
Look at the graph closely. It should have a mirror symmetry around x=0. But notice it is not mirror symmetric around any other point. So you can't shift the graph through a period so it looks exactly the same.
Bassalisk
Sep2-11, 07:36 AM
Quote Quote by jambaugh View Post
Look at the graph closely. It should have a mirror symmetry around x=0. But notice it is not mirror symmetric around any other point. So you can't shift the graph through a period so it looks exactly the same.
Thank you I understand now. I had bad view of what it means to be periodic.

Register to reply