Writing a e-mail to someone in Japan

In summary, the person trying to learn Japanese culture and etiquette was trying to figure out what is the appropriate way to address someone from Japan, and if last name is sufficient. The person they were referred to replied in English and said that it is usually Mr. last name, but there are some cases where it might be Mr. first name. They also said that it is a cultural difference, but that people from Japan will usually reply in a similar international style.
Goldenlemur
I been trying to look into e-mail etiquette in Japanese culture. I do not speak Japanese actually. The person I was refereed to did reply in English.

I was wondering if last name-san is sufficient or do I need something else.

I am trying to purchase a metal that they only forge for my research.

Physics news on Phys.org
My suggestion would be to just write it as a normal business letter. People and companies from Japan are used to dealing with people from the western world and don't expect us to know or understand their customs; Japan is not THAT "exotic". This is what I always do (I frequently collaborate with people from Japan).

It is perhaps worth keeping in mind that customs differ even between countries in the western world, I've had to learn how to write polite letters in English since British business letters tend to be much more formal than letters in Swedish. Letters in German are very different again (do you know the correct way to address someone with a PhD in engineering in Germany?).

Hence, my suggestion is to always use the normal "English" (US or British does not really matter) style since this is something everyone is familiar with; UNLESS you are 100% that you can do it correctly in the "national" style.

But the last names are always stated first right? I should at least do Mr. (...).

That is more of a cultural thing than style.

Not sure what you mean. People from Japan have a first name and a surname; if you write a letter you would address it to Mr. (or Dr. etc) Surname; i.e. exactly the way you would write a business letter to someone in the US/UK.

And yes, I agree that it is a cultural thing. But remember that culture goes both ways, unless there is a specific reason for why they should expect you to know the correct Japanese style of writing (using -san etc) they will be perfectly happy (and expect) a letter written in a correct "international" style. This is also the way they will reply.
The only time I've ever heard one of my Japanese colleagues use the "-san" form when referring to a westerner was when he was talking about someone who had spent a lot of time in Japan and spoke a bit of Japanese. Japanese people tend to be more polite than most, but when speaking English and dealing with westerners they mostly just use (and expect) the British "style" of being polite.

My main point is: don't worry about it.

And, since you want to impress, have a different set of eyes than yours proof your letter. (eg. your opening post has a 4% vocabulary error rate - 2 words in 50). :wink:

I've been watching Anime for a very long time and here what I know

If you don't know someone, yes it is [surname]-san. Once you get to know the person you got with [name]-chan (usually with an agreement).

However since he replied in English, go with Mr.[surname]

flyingpig said:
I've been watching Anime for a very long time

To be honest, I don't think "I've watched a lot of cartoons" is really a good indicator of expertise. Especially on a physics forum.

What is the proper format for writing a formal email to someone in Japan?

The proper format for writing a formal email to someone in Japan is to start with a formal greeting, followed by the recipient's last name. For example, "Dear Mr. Tanaka," or "Dear Ms. Yamamoto,". Next, state the purpose of your email clearly and concisely. Be sure to use polite language and avoid using contractions. Close your email with a polite closing, such as "Sincerely," or "Best regards," and your full name.

Is it necessary to use honorifics when addressing someone in Japan through email?

Yes, it is important to use honorifics when addressing someone in Japan through email. In Japanese culture, showing respect is highly valued, and using honorifics is a sign of respect. It is appropriate to use the honorific "-san" after the recipient's last name, for example, "Mr. Tanaka" or "Ms. Yamamoto". If you are not sure of the recipient's gender, you can use the gender-neutral honorific "-sama".

What are some important cultural considerations to keep in mind when writing an email to someone in Japan?

Some important cultural considerations to keep in mind when writing an email to someone in Japan include using formal language and honorifics, avoiding direct confrontation or criticism, and being mindful of the recipient's time and schedule. It is also important to use proper titles when addressing someone, such as "Sensei" for a teacher or "Kaicho" for a company president.

How should I address the recipient in the subject line of the email?

In the subject line of the email, it is best to use the recipient's last name followed by their title or honorific. For example, "Subject: Inquiry for Mr. Tanaka" or "Subject: Invitation for Ms. Yamamoto". This shows respect and helps the recipient know the purpose of the email before opening it.

Are there any specific words or phrases I should avoid using in an email to someone in Japan?

Yes, there are some words and phrases that may be considered impolite or offensive in Japanese culture. Avoid using slang or colloquial language, as well as direct criticism or negative language. It is also best to avoid making assumptions or using humor, as these can be easily misinterpreted in written communication. Additionally, be mindful of cultural differences and avoid using terms or phrases that may be considered inappropriate or offensive in Japan.