Register to reply

What is the average magnetic dipole moment?

Share this thread:
c.adhityaa
Sep19-11, 09:45 AM
P: 2
Though this might be absurd, I would seriously like to know the average magnetic dipole of a magnet. For example, you might consider a regular magnet in a remote control car's motors, or any other suggestions too. And I have one more doubt- I know that e.m.f=-d(phi)/dt and phi=integral(B.dS). So, could we use e.m.f=-S.(dB/dt)???

Thank you,
Adhityaa
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
Vanadium 50
Sep19-11, 09:57 AM
Mentor
P: 16,184
How long is a piece of string?
c.adhityaa
Sep24-11, 01:28 AM
P: 2
length of a string ??? I don't get you... Could you please explain ????

BruceW
Sep24-11, 09:33 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,443
What is the average magnetic dipole moment?

A magnet generally creates a complicated magnetic field. But usually, we approximate that the magnetic field is a dipole field in the approximation of large distances from the magnet. In other words, this equation won't work close to the magnet, but it is a useful approximation when not close to the magnet:
[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \frac{m}{r^3} \sqrt{1 + 3 sin^2(\frac{\pi}{2} - \theta)}[/tex]
Where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle from the dipole axis. And m is the dipole moment.

So this equation would give you the magnetic moment if you could measure the magnetic field of the magnet.

I'm not sure what you mean by the average magnetic dipole?... Surely it is only one value which depends on the type of magnet.
jtbell
Sep24-11, 10:03 AM
Mentor
P: 11,625
Quote Quote by c.adhityaa View Post
length of a string ??? I don't get you...
He's indirectly telling you (by asking a similar sort of question) that your question is unanswerable without further information.

Register to reply