Register to reply

Calculate curvature by coordinate component method

by PhyPsy
Tags: index notation, riemann tensor
Share this thread:
PhyPsy
Oct1-11, 12:39 PM
P: 39
I'm trying to follow the math in Wald's General Relativity where he starts out with the equation for covariant derivative:
[itex]\nabla[/itex]b[itex]\omega[/itex]c = [itex]\partial[/itex]b[itex]\omega[/itex]c - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]dbc[itex]\omega[/itex]d

He uses that to derive the equation for a double covariant derivative:
[itex]\nabla[/itex]a[itex]\nabla[/itex]b[itex]\omega[/itex]c = [itex]\partial[/itex]a([itex]\partial[/itex]b[itex]\omega[/itex]c - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]dbc[itex]\omega[/itex]d) - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]eab([itex]\partial[/itex]e[itex]\omega[/itex]c - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]dec[itex]\omega[/itex]d) - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]eac([itex]\partial[/itex]b[itex]\omega[/itex]e - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]dbe[itex]\omega[/itex]d)

Now, using the Riemann tensor definition Rabcd[itex]\omega[/itex]d = [itex]\nabla[/itex]a[itex]\nabla[/itex]b[itex]\omega[/itex]c - [itex]\nabla[/itex]b[itex]\nabla[/itex]a[itex]\omega[/itex]c, this equation is derived:
Rabcd[itex]\omega[/itex]d = [itex]\partial[/itex][a[itex]\partial[/itex]b][itex]\omega[/itex]c - [itex]\omega[/itex]d[itex]\partial[/itex][a[itex]\Gamma[/itex]db]c - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]dc[b[itex]\partial[/itex]a][itex]\omega[/itex]d - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]e[ab]([itex]\partial[/itex]e[itex]\omega[/itex]c - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]dec[itex]\omega[/itex]d) - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]ec[a[itex]\partial[/itex]b][itex]\omega[/itex]e - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]ec[a[itex]\Gamma[/itex]db]e[itex]\omega[/itex]d

I know that the term [itex]\partial[/itex][a[itex]\partial[/itex]b][itex]\omega[/itex]c cancels, and, due to the symmetry of the metric connection, [itex]\Gamma[/itex]e[ab]([itex]\partial[/itex]e[itex]\omega[/itex]c - [itex]\Gamma[/itex]dec[itex]\omega[/itex]d) also cancels, but the next step in the book also has a couple other terms cancelled out:
[itex]\Gamma[/itex]dc[b[itex]\partial[/itex]a][itex]\omega[/itex]d, and
[itex]\Gamma[/itex]ec[a[itex]\partial[/itex]b][itex]\omega[/itex]e

I don't see how these terms cancel. Can someone help me?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages

Register to reply