Register to reply

Why do you not sit next to people on their own?

by nucleargirl
Tags: people
Share this thread:
nucleargirl
Oct4-11, 05:58 PM
P: 126
So I was at my new uni, its fresher's week and I didnt know anyone. so I thought, why not sit on my own in a relatively conspicuous place and wait for other lonely people to sit next to me and talk to me! So I did. and I ate two satsumas while I waited.... and waited. Lots of people walked past and some looked at me, but none of them sat down or tried to talk to me! WHY???? I'm sure lots of them were on their own and didnt know anyone?

and today I did the same, and one annoying and very arrogant 5th year medic sat and babbled some stuff at me - didnt try to talk to me or make conversation, just talked at me about his friends. who were also annoying and presumptious - one of them greeted me in Japanese... uh I'm not Japanese! why dont I just speak to you in a random foreign language and expect you to be happy about that! dumbass.

Anyway, rant over. and as Pengy would say...

DISCUSS!!!!!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Pengwuino
Oct4-11, 06:00 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Don't steal my line.

Also, what? I was always taught never to speak to strangers. You might murder me with your death fruit.

Closing thoughts: Really? How often do people randomly sit and talk to strangers unless they're trying to pick them up for hawt fish sex?
nucleargirl
Oct4-11, 06:04 PM
I quoted you!

Pengwuino
Oct4-11, 06:06 PM
PF Gold
Why do you not sit next to people on their own?

Quote Quote by nucleargirl View Post
I quoted you!
I expect royalties.
rootX
Oct4-11, 06:10 PM
P: 1,294
People in class talk when assignments' deadlines are near.
lisab
Oct4-11, 06:42 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
So I was at my new uni, its fresher's week and I didnt know anyone. so I thought, why not sit on my own in a relatively conspicuous place and wait for other lonely people to sit next to me and talk to me! So I did. and I ate two satsumas while I waited.... and waited. Lots of people walked past and some looked at me, but none of them sat down or tried to talk to me! WHY???? I'm sure lots of them were on their own and didnt know anyone?

and today I did the same, and one annoying and very arrogant 5th year medic sat and babbled some stuff at me - didnt try to talk to me or make conversation, just talked at me about his friends. who were also annoying and presumptious - one of them greeted me in Japanese... uh I'm not Japanese! why dont I just speak to you in a random foreign language and expect you to be happy about that! dumbass.

Anyway, rant over. and as Pengy would say...

DISCUSS!!!!!
Maybe you should be the one joining a person sitting alone.
nucleargirl
Oct4-11, 06:45 PM
sub-tangent... sorry, just must get it off my chest!
I went to the fresher's fair today and there was a DJ society... and OMG...
these guys were amazing!!!! like I'm sorry physicists, but you might have been outdone!!
Can you imagine? Real-life engineers and science guys mashed up with tech prowess and an attitude of creativity, all wrapped up in polite gentlemanliness!!!
..... wow.
nucleargirl
Oct4-11, 06:50 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Maybe you should be the one joining a person sitting alone.
I do! But there are not as many people sitting alone as you might think - this morning, after being kept awake all night, I went to the canteen to get breakfast. and I looked around, there was literally one person sitting by themselves who didnt look like a professor... and I didnt want to sit next to a professor in case they thought I had ulterior motives! so I went to sit next to this guy, and we talked and went to the museum together! and it was great! I guess I didnt sit alone for enough time, or in a conspicuous enough place... must try harder.
DaveC426913
Oct4-11, 06:54 PM
P: 15,319
Confusion.

Without prompting, you expect a complete stranger to sit down and start talking.
You get annoyed when no one does.
Until someone does.
And then you don't like it.

Are you sure you're not this girl?

256bits
Oct4-11, 06:56 PM
P: 1,411
At the airport one time a while back in the preboarding lounge there was a hot chick sitting all alone, while all the other people were huddled in a far off corner ( so it seemed ). Rather than huddle, I sat next to her and we conversed. Turns out she was in town with her drummer boyfriend from Pat Benatar's band and flying back to New York. She offered tickets to the concert and insert into the after concert party and who would be there none other than Robin Williams. Unfortunately I made a bad choice and boarded the plane and missed out on all the fun. She was wearing some kind of leapard pants by the way, so I guess that was somewhat California style of fashion . Anyways you never know who you will meet if and when you try.

So that is where I got the idea ( from looking at the huddling mass ) that most young guys, or girls, will not approach a lone individual on the off chance they may be rejected.
Probably not applicable in your case but in others no doubt.
Pengwuino
Oct4-11, 07:00 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Are you sure you're not this girl?

That's my prevailing theory.
autodidude
Oct4-11, 10:02 PM
P: 333
i'm one of the people who sit alone, always sit on the edge so there can only be one person next to me
Ivan92
Oct4-11, 10:18 PM
P: 181
Why don't you try starting the conversation? I sit on my own in the front of the class and I am too shy to talk to people. It is not until someone starts a conversation with me that I start to talk. I try not to let the conversation die so I can let them know I am still interested in interacting with them.
TheStatutoryApe
Oct5-11, 04:30 AM
P: 1,550
People approach me and talk to me while I am on my own fairly frequently. I find it annoying most of the time.

Quote Quote by 256bits View Post
She was wearing some kind of leapard pants by the way, so I guess that was somewhat California style of fashion.
That seems more like Jersey fashion sense. I live in California and rarely see leopard print. Though there is a very attractive young lady that goes to my favourite bar who has a leopard print tattoo and is named Sheena (I thought that was cute).
GregJ
Oct5-11, 10:50 AM
P: 66
Go sit and talk to a girl all by herself? I have tried this fairly recently. I walked over and said "mind if I join you?". Almost sat down and before another word left my mouth I got a "I have a boyfriend" and she got up and left (by the way that was not my intention)!

Will be some quite time before I try that again... sigh...
256bits
Oct5-11, 12:21 PM
P: 1,411
"I have a boyfriend" and she got up and left (by the way that was not my intention)!
There must be something wrong with you internet connection because it cut off the part most interesting.

"I have a boyfriend" and she got up and left me her telephone number. Turning her head slightly she coyly murmured " Call me sometime. Soon." (by the way that was not my intention)
Jack21222
Oct5-11, 01:43 PM
P: 772
Is it a common practice for people to talk to people they don't know? Maybe I'm just anti-social, but when I'm sitting by myself, it's a fear of mine that somebody will come over and try to talk to me. I always assumed it was a completely irrational fear, because it pretty much never happens. Should I be worried?
FlexGunship
Oct5-11, 01:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 739
so I thought, why not sit on my own in a relatively conspicuous place and wait for other lonely people to sit next to me and talk to me! So I did. and I ate two satsumas while I waited.... and waited.
Why did no one sit with you? For the same reason you didn't go sit with anyone else.

That being said, I'm exactly the type to randomly sit down with someone (especially a pretty girl) for no good reason. Everyone on Earth is fascinating in some way, it can be fun (if not challenging) to tease that side of them out.

Me: "Hello."
Stranger: "Oh, hi."
Me: "I find it fascinating that we can tell the direction of a sound simply by the relative difference in the time that the sound reaches each of our ears."
Stranger: "I enjoy sandwiches."

Register to reply