Register to reply

Algebraic intuition vs geometric intuition

by Mathguy15
Tags: algebraic, geometric, intuition
Share this thread:
Mathguy15
Oct6-11, 07:23 PM
P: 63
This has been a curiosity of mine lately. I am wondering about what makes an algebra person an algebra person. I know geometers(at least it seems like it) seem to have a keen ability of spatial visualization. What characterizes the abilities of an algebra person? To clarify, I'm not just talking about say elementary algebra (I'm only fifteen). I'm thinking about linear algebra and commutative algebra also. I am wondering if any of you could shed some light on this curiosity of mine. Any thoughts?

sincerely,

Mathguy
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Anonymous217
Oct6-11, 07:35 PM
P: 352
That's quite a bit of an exaggeration. I'd recommend reading Thurston's "On Proof and Progress in Mathematics" if you want more insight in perspective and intuitions within knowing mathematics (or fields thereof). Several of these meta-mathematics papers by famous mathematicians are practically must-reads. They really shed light into the motivation of mathematics itself.
Mathguy15
Oct6-11, 10:53 PM
P: 63
Quote Quote by Anonymous217 View Post
That's quite a bit of an exaggeration. I'd recommend reading Thurston's "On Proof and Progress in Mathematics" if you want more insight in perspective and intuitions within knowing mathematics (or fields thereof). Several of these meta-mathematics papers by famous mathematicians are practically must-reads. They really shed light into the motivation of mathematics itself.
Yes, I've read a part of Thurston's essay before. He had some interesting things to say about the nature of mathematics research. In particular, I remember how he said that a mathematician's job is to make humans understand mathematics better. He also said something about how proofs are not necessarily all mathematicians do.

symbolipoint
Oct6-11, 11:06 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,797
Algebraic intuition vs geometric intuition

Students will find at the foundations level of Mathematics, that some truths about Geometric items can help explain corresponding truths in Algebra of Real Numbers. Two examples are The Triangle Inequality Theorem, and Completing The Square for finding roots for quadratic functions. Yet, some people are predonimantly either algebra people or geometry people.
lavinia
Oct10-11, 07:04 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,716
Mathematics is based on insight. Some people are gifted with geometric insight just as some people have perfect pitch or photographic memories. But I think that all people are capable of the deep concentration that leads to insight whether it be geometrical, algebraic, or analytic.

Register to reply