by _Greg_
Tags: armour, fluid, poject, shear, thickening
Share this thread:
Blitzed
Jul10-11, 07:05 PM
P: 7
I plan on using Shear Thickening Fluid i found on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Smart-Fluid-rema...item45f81e6a2c

I am only having a problem with Ethanol. Is 95 % rubbing alcohol the same as Ethanol??
Legendary
Jul10-11, 07:17 PM
That stuff on ebay may just be Corn Starch my friend. It's too powdery looking for one. Also the fact that it uses water. As for the 95 % rubbing alcohol the same as Ethanol? No I don't think it is the same but another form of alcohol. I think the drinking type is close enough. This might help friend. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol
Blitzed
Jul10-11, 07:30 PM
"absolute alcohol" should work then, Its 95 per cent Ethanol.I dont think i can find that kinda thing in the canadian Liquer stores.

I heard i can find Ethanol in hardware stores.
I asked the Ebay Seller about the STF ingredients and waiting for reply.

I only found out about the potential for powerful STF's yesterday.
Expect allot more people too gain interest and search for this very Thread too learn what we have learned so far.

Im looking into Ethanol Fueled Fireplaces and checking how pure the fuel is, maybe that will work
Legendary
Jul10-11, 08:09 PM
Quote Quote by Blitzed View Post
"absolute alcohol" should work then, Its 95 per cent Ethanol.I dont think i can find that kinda thing in the canadian Liquer stores.

I heard i can find Ethanol in hardware stores.
I asked the Ebay Seller about the STF ingredients and waiting for reply.

I only found out about the potential for powerful STF's yesterday.
Expect allot more people too gain interest and search for this very Thread too learn what we have learned so far.

Im looking into Ethanol Fueled Fireplaces and checking how pure the fuel is, maybe that will work
I've been doing my research for about a year. I cam across a video on youtube showing STF. Cool stuff but a pain to do yourself if your not a chemist or really good in science. Though I'm not a chemist I can follow directions well. The key to this project is to have the right Silica and liquids. The Cornstarch STF is easy to make though it dose spoil so it's not a good long lasting result. Let me know how it all goes and be careful. Do your research also.
Blitzed
Jul11-11, 07:42 PM
I need a Permit too get Ethanol where i am from... However Denatured Alcohol should work, its 90 percent Ethanol right?

I have not been told the STF ingredients yet and I will let you know if its Nano Silica or Cornmeal as soon as the seller responds.

I hope some one responds with the correct Ethanol to STF ratio or i may have too take random guess's. I dont know how much i must dilute the Sheer Fluid before i soak the kevlar..
Legendary
Jul11-11, 08:55 PM
Did you look over the Wiki link I sent you? You can get all the info you need on Ethanol. Also be careful as that stuff is flammable. Yes keep me posted.
Blitzed
Jul12-11, 02:12 PM
http://www.che.udel.edu/research_gro...nce%202002.pdf

I found a Recipe Book!

I got the ethanol ratio Finnaly. Im a bit worried about the thickening fluid now, i think it has too be nano and i dont think there is nano particles on Ebay. I have yet too get a Conformation from the STF seller.
Legendary
Jul12-11, 02:39 PM
Quote Quote by Blitzed View Post
http://www.che.udel.edu/research_gro...nce%202002.pdf

I found a Recipe Book!

I got the ethanol ratio Finnaly. Im a bit worried about the thickening fluid now, i think it has too be nano and i dont think there is nano particles on Ebay. I have yet too get a Conformation from the STF seller.
Yeah I would beware of that ebay stuff as it is just Corn Starch I truly believe because it uses water and by the way it looks. The Corn Starch has the same effect but due to it being perishable it spoils if sat for a while. That's why the other stuff is better.

Note the thing about it being nano is the purpose of having the silica small enough to sink into the fabric. Any bigger would just coat the fabric. I hear PMMA powder can be used also. Also if your gonna buy Silica note that if you by from Asia it's gonna be expensive with just shipping alone. Below are a few American sites.

http://www.americanelements.com/sioxnp.html

http://www.glantreo.com/custom_particle_synthesis.php

http://www.microspheres-nanospheres....0standards.htm
Blitzed
Jul12-11, 03:10 PM
PMMA powder is Nano size particles?? you think i can find PMMA powder or Nano Silica in a local Chemistry Supply store?

how costly can it be ordering online? i dont wanna have too get a crate of the stuff just too use a cup of it.
Iresha_g
Oct16-11, 03:10 AM
P: 1
I'm also doing the same kind of project.What is your current progress. i have the nanosilica particles, but it is in kind of liquid foam,so if u have experiment it , did u use powder or the liquid
Blitzed
Oct16-11, 04:40 AM
I am still trying too find nano silica powder im afraid, every company ive found so far only sells too university's or factory's for Liability reason's. I would use powder instead of foam because its what the army used. Where did you Find the Nano Silica Foam, never heard of such a thing. Considering i cant find powder i may wanna try the Foam.
ICU
Jan30-12, 02:01 PM
You should try talking to a local university professor in either the chemistry/textile/engineering departments and see if you can collaborate with them a little on your research. That way they could order the stuff you need through the university, and be a source of information.

Best of luck!
FerroSurfTech
Apr12-12, 09:58 AM
Fumed Silica is used commonly to thicken products. An industry workhorse is Aerosol 200 from Degussa. It has a primary crystal size of 7 nm. To make it work properly you need to mix it with high shear to disperse it properly. For this you need a homogenizer or high speed mixer. A stick blender might do the job. Proper dispersal will make a big difference to the thickening properties of this mixture.

Pretty sure silica/water mixture liquifiy under shear; the opposite of what you want. Maybe silica/glycols are different.

Nano silica foam is Aerogel isn't it? Made from sio2 condensation of tetraethylorthosilicate.
RexXxMaster
May10-12, 05:54 PM
Quote Quote by FerroSurfTech View Post
A stick blender might do the job. Proper dispersal will make a big difference to the thickening properties of this mixture.

Pretty sure silica/water mixture liquifiy under shear; the opposite of what you want. Maybe silica/glycols are different.

Nano silica foam is Aerogel isn't it? Made from sio2 condensation of tetraethylorthosilicate.
I been think of doing a project along these lines to. You could get Lumira® Aerogel granules put that in blender. Plus there something that is harder then glass... And you can buy in 500 nm or less diamond powder! Do you guys think it would work? Or is just glass that works in work in the gel
BK201MXP
Dec29-13, 02:32 AM
P: 2
Gosh, i sure hope this thread is still active.

Hey, i was interested in creating some STF too. Where can i purchase Silicon dioxide( Silica Power), ethylene glycol, and ethanol. Is Diatomaceous Earth a good source of silica powder? Depending on the brand it can be 80 to 90% silica. Would these attributes suffice considering that the other 10% is Alumina and Iron Oxide? I am not sure that the silica particles would be small enough considering it is just crushed micro organism fossils. Would a better source of silica be women's make-up? I read somewhere that certain types contain it.

But an even better source would be a professional chemical distribution company. If you know of any it would be of great help.
sauroman1
Apr1-14, 10:56 AM
P: 11
Quote Quote by _Greg_ View Post
Hi

The STF is made up of silica particles (400-500nm) mixed with ethylene glycol, which is then diluted with ethanol for easier absorbtion into the kevlar.
Interesting to find someone doing experiments. I was also thinking about making liquid armor but I have problem finding silica nanoparticles in my country. But I did find silica dioxide powder but it's particle size is 3000-4000nm. Would these particles work enough effectively? Don't want to risk buying 10kg bag if it's useless. Here's link to product: http://www.topplastas.lt/?id=4&cat=9

I guess any liquid medium could be used but PEG is more stable and take temperature extremes. Maybe antifreeze or even oil would work.

Register to reply