Register to reply

Craft Beers, Microbreweries and Homebrewing

by Astronuc
Tags: beers, craft, homebrewing, microbreweries
Share this thread:
Insanity
Oct16-11, 10:01 AM
P: 60
Fellow homebrewer informed me as a precaution. Said that the heat increases with age.

I do not know if it is true or not either, but took it as a possibility. Might be due to other flavor characteristics decreasing, and the capsicum being left as the predominate flavor.

Do not know for certain, just my amateur guess.

Maybe capsicum is a self replicating molecule and it consumes other compounds in the beer and creates more capsicum?
rhody
Oct16-11, 11:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Quote Quote by Insanity View Post
Maybe capsicum is a self replicating molecule?
Anyone, chemist's, Borek ?

Rhody...
Insanity
Oct16-11, 11:35 AM
Quote Quote by rhody View Post
Anyone, chemist's, Borek ?

Rhody...
Sorry, actually capsicum is the plant genus, capsaicin is the compound. Knew it seemed both right and wrong at the same time.

Wikipedia says this about capsaicin in beverages...

Recently beverage products are emerging with capsaicin as an active ingredient. The first two capsaicin beverages to hit the market are Prometheus Springs Elixirs launched in 2007 and Sweet16 launched in 2011. It is common for people to experience pleasurable and even euphoriant effects from ingesting capsaicin. Folklore among self-described "chiliheads" attributes this to pain-stimulated release of endorphins, a different mechanism from the local receptor overload that makes capsaicin effective as a topical analgesic. In support of this theory, there is some evidence that the effect can be blocked by naloxone and other compounds that compete for receptor sites with endorphins and opiates.
nicktay
Oct17-11, 11:22 PM
P: 16
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for someone who would be interested in joining my brewery venture. I am really looking for a manufacturing engineer or similar who could help in the construction of a brewery. Would also like to hear from other like-minded entrepreneurs.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Nick
Insanity
Nov7-11, 07:45 AM
My habanero IPA got first place at the local brewery's homebrewing contest, out of ~120 entries. The prize is having it brewed at the brewery and being served on tap at their pub.
Astronuc
Nov7-11, 08:17 AM
Admin
P: 21,866
My habanero IPA got first place at the local brewery's homebrewing contest, out of ~120 entries. The prize is having it brewed at the brewery and being served on tap at their pub.
Cool! or Hot!
dlgoff
Nov7-11, 08:39 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719
That is so neat. Congratulations.
Insanity
Nov7-11, 06:58 PM
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Cool! or Hot!
It is not too hot, it finishes nicely. Everyone apparently thought so too.
redpenguin
Dec21-11, 06:08 PM
P: 33
Got myself a new toy.

I apologize for the large images.
rhody
Dec21-11, 07:06 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Single purpose fridge, huh ???

Rhody...
Insanity
Dec21-11, 07:13 PM
Very nice...for more taps and kegs, I've seen people use a chest freezer. Temp controllers are sold to keep them at correct temps, and you can fit many more kegs in. Course with up to 6-8 taps possible, you will need to brew a different beer for each, but that is not a problem.
redpenguin
Dec23-11, 01:12 AM
Tis my man fridge. On tap right now is cream soda. Super happy with the results, can't wait to fill em with beer.

I think I can fit about 3 more kegs inside if I really wanted to, especially with the tanks external. I have some plans to paint this fridge up here in a week or two. Thinking something along the lines of Banksy graf work. I'll keep ya'll posted.
redpenguin
Dec26-11, 08:44 PM
Black IPA
Insanity
Dec27-11, 07:40 AM
Cool, I have yet to brew one.

I have a dunkelweizen needing to be bottled this week.
dlgoff
Dec27-11, 06:49 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,719
OMG. I got this Christmas present from an old girl friend (dated 40+years ago). She bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond. Go figure.

How simple can you get?

It will probably give me the bug to learn how to brew (again); as I set here drinking "Wheat State Golden".

http://www.mrbeer.com/
Insanity
Jan2-12, 12:55 PM
Thinking about brewing a barley wine for the first brew of the year, looking at getting up to 13% ABV with this one. Simcoe and nugget hops.
Insanity
Jan13-12, 06:19 PM
Spoke with the gent at the local brewery in which I got 1st place with their homebrewing content. They are going to brew about 10-12 bbl of my beer in the near future. Quite cool.
Astronuc
Jan14-12, 09:13 AM
Admin
P: 21,866
http://health.yahoo.net/experts/dayi...-benefits-beer

I had dinner with colleagues at Cambridge Brewing Company in Cambridge, MA. The seven of us order two towers (~84 oz) for the table. One was their IPA, and the other some kind of lager.
http://cambridgebrewing.com/beer/seasonal/

Next time I want to check out the Bannatyne’s Scotch Ale and their stouts and porters.

Register to reply