Register to reply

What can I use to solve a general matrix?

by VortexLattice
Tags: matrix, solve
Share this thread:
VortexLattice
Oct17-11, 06:18 PM
P: 146
Hi guys!

I need to solve a matrix. I have 3 equations, 3 unknowns, straightforward stuff. And I know it's invertible (doing transformations for hamiltonian dynamics, so I know they made it invertible). I know my calculator and a ton of websites can easily solve any matrix with real coefficients, but here they are general variables.

Does anyone know a good website (or how to do it on the TI-83, or TI-89) that will do this?

For example, solving something like:

a*x + b*y = 3
ba*x + 4b*y = 5, finding x and y as functions of a and b.

Any good way?

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
phyzguy
Oct17-11, 07:37 PM
P: 2,179
This is of the form M.X = S, so the solution is just [tex]M^{-1}.S[/tex] .

Wolfram alpha (http://www.wolframalpha.com) will solve this easily. The syntax is :

Inverse[{{a, b}, {a b, 4 b}}].{3,5}//Simplify

Try it!
hotvette
Oct18-11, 02:40 PM
HW Helper
P: 929
Quote Quote by VortexLattice View Post
Hi guys!

I need to solve a matrix. I have 3 equations, 3 unknowns, straightforward stuff. And I know it's invertible (doing transformations for hamiltonian dynamics, so I know they made it invertible). I know my calculator and a ton of websites can easily solve any matrix with real coefficients, but here they are general variables.

Does anyone know a good website (or how to do it on the TI-83, or TI-89) that will do this?

For example, solving something like:

a*x + b*y = 3
ba*x + 4b*y = 5, finding x and y as functions of a and b.

Any good way?

Thanks!
You can solve the example by substitution. Solve the 1st equation for either x or y and substitute the result into the 2nd equation to solve for the other unknown. You'll end up with algebraic expressions for x and y in terms of a and b.

jasonRF
Oct18-11, 07:14 PM
P: 690
What can I use to solve a general matrix?

Phyzguy recommended wolfram alpha, which is a great option. Maxima is another option, possibly more clunky but I use it the most for computer algebra and arbitrary precision arithmetic:

http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

enjoy,

jason

Register to reply