View Poll Results: Will you go trick-or-treating with your kids?
Yep, me and my spouse. 2 22.22%
Yes I will. 3 33.33%
No, I don't do it. 3 33.33%
No. Halloween is Satanic. (Yes, there are religions that believe that.) 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

How many of you will go trick-or-treating with your kids?

by moonman239
Tags: kids, trickortreating
Share this thread:
Chi Meson
Oct6-11, 05:10 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Quote Quote by moonman239 View Post
Yum. What did you do with all that chocolate?
We're saving for the post-rapture holocaust.
Planeguy67
Oct6-11, 10:10 AM
P: n/a
My wife works that night and I'll be out of the town that day, but hopefully I'll fly back in time to take my daughter out with her 2 cousins. She wants to be a "Spy Girl", whatever the heck that is. :-)
Hootenanny
Oct6-11, 10:14 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,772
Why is there no option to go trick-or-treating without kids?
PAllen
Oct6-11, 11:44 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,060
Until my daughter got too old, I always went trick or treating with her.

Also, I echo that when I was a kid it was mostly unheard of for parents to accompany kids trick or treating (unless they were very young).

I do recall a few nasty incidents, even then: someone tossing an apple with a lit firecracker in it into some other kids treat bag; and mischief that included tipping over telephone booths (you remember (or don't))- the old all glass kind; they had an accessible resonance, so even a kid pushing repeatedly with proper timing could get them swinging enough to tip over and shatter).
physics girl phd
Oct6-11, 12:16 PM
P: 936
Our kids are of such vastly different ages and abilities that it's a painful experience.

Our neighborhood also doesn't have sidewalks and relegates the responsibility to a few streets that are closed off that host Halloween. Note in this situation, however, that it becomes embarrassing: a lot of the adults are also dressed up (some inappropriately for the presence of children)... and many of them are openly drinking. Very strange, and I'm not sure how the neighborhood gets away with this (except that we rent a house in what is mostly the "rich"/"snobby" neighborhood that might be cutting some deals by paying some police officers to be out and about).

We made a deal this year with our middle child (M), who cares about Halloween the most (because of the copious quantities of unregulated candy it generates), that if he was old enough to start shaving off his developing "mustache" (a source of some apparent teasing at middle school) he was also therefore too old to trick or treat.

P doesn't care (the experience is frustrating... costumes are uncomfortable, his electric chair isn't really safe on streets and can't make it up porch steps to front doors).

Lastly: E is too little. She can wear last years glow-in-the-dark "skeleton PJs" and help me give out candy to the few who might arrive at the door... thinking the pickings are good in the rich hood (but being sorely deceived because of the relocation of the hood's own activities)... and eat the remainder.
arildno
Oct6-11, 01:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Quote Quote by physics girl phd View Post

We made a deal this year with our middle child (M), who cares about Halloween the most (because of the copious quantities of unregulated candy it generates), that if he was old enough to start shaving off his developing "mustache" (a source of some apparent teasing at middle school) he was also therefore too old to trick or treat.
You are being too strict on him.

Perhaps you should add a word of comfort like once he has grown a beard like Edward Teach, he can trick-or-treat again and be a real terror in the streets..
BobG
Oct24-11, 08:07 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
I have a plan to deal with the kids that come to my house.

Pythagorean
Oct24-11, 09:19 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
Yes, and I will dress up, and I will eat my two year olds candy too.
Evo
Oct24-11, 09:26 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Our kids are of such vastly different ages and abilities that it's a painful experience.

Our neighborhood also doesn't have sidewalks and relegates the responsibility to a few streets that are closed off that host Halloween. Note in this situation, however, that it becomes embarrassing: a lot of the adults are also dressed up (some inappropriately for the presence of children)... and many of them are openly drinking. Very strange, and I'm not sure how the neighborhood gets away with this (except that we rent a house in what is mostly the "rich"/"snobby" neighborhood that might be cutting some deals by paying some police officers to be out and about).

P doesn't care (the experience is frustrating... costumes are uncomfortable, his electric chair isn't really safe on streets and can't make it up porch steps to front doors).

Lastly: E is too little. She can wear last years glow-in-the-dark "skeleton PJs" and help me give out candy to the few who might arrive at the door... thinking the pickings are good in the rich hood (but being sorely deceived because of the relocation of the hood's own activities)... and eat the remainder.
Do the shopping malls in your area sponsor treak or treat? They do here. All kids can easily participate and ususually have a costume contest if you want to enter. The candy is safe, the area is safe, it's handicap accessible.
lisab
Oct24-11, 09:45 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
Yes, and I will dress up, and I will eat my two year olds candy too.
My style of parenting too haha.

To get even further into the spirit, so to speak, we had a rather elaborate haunted house in the garage a few times. In years when we didn't have time to do that, I'd dress up really creepy and scare the bejesus out of kids coming up to the house.

I have no idea why that was so darn much fun to me .
mege
Oct24-11, 10:55 PM
P: 193
The township I lived in near Northern Detroit hosted a trick-or-treat event in one of the parks. It's a rural area, so there's not really any neighborhoods - this was where all of the kids came. Even though I don't have kids, I would often go and host a friend's spot so they could take their kids around (they called it 'Trunk or treat' since it was basically tail-gating treat stands).
Borek
Oct25-11, 02:46 AM
Admin
P: 23,599
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I'd dress up really creepy and scare the bejesus out of kids coming up to the house.
Sounds like a good idea.
Pythagorean
Oct25-11, 03:28 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
I remember when I was a kid one halloween and this guy had a mummy sitting on his front porch with a bowl of candy in his lap. Well, the guy WAS the mummy. Best scare ever.
Ivan92
Oct25-11, 04:13 AM
P: 181
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
If I had small kids and if I lived in america, then I would certainly go trick-or-treating with my kids. It sounds like great fun
LOL!! I could just imagine micro being Rick Astley for Halloween. Then have a stereo around him and playing his hit when they answer the door.

As for me, I have no kids and I am too old for trick or treating. I am planning to have an outfit. I will be Anonymous with the Guy Fawke's mask and the suit. Oh yea! x)
SW VandeCarr
Oct25-11, 06:30 AM
P: 2,501
Quote Quote by Hootenanny View Post
Why is there no option to go trick-or-treating without kids?
Yeah! A couple of years ago some guys from Lehman Brothers came by. I gave them each a dime and told them to put it in a bank.
physics girl phd
Oct25-11, 02:35 PM
P: 936

Quote Quote by arildno View Post
You are being too strict on him.
He's actually okay with it. I think he's a bit relieved to not repeat the "candy-vomiting" experience of last year (when he went with a friend and stayed the night at the friend's house, eating his entire bag of candy and probably literally bouncing off the walls... until, that is, the candy came back up ).

Register to reply