by Evo
Tags: baby, cold, evo
dlgoff
Nov19-11, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,632
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Ok, it's going to get up to 70F here today, but with 40-50 MPH winds.

Don - make sure roger is wearing her lead booties if she goes out, don't want her being blown away.
Will do. I might get a wind detached feather for you. She did shed a tail feather that I kept but I'm waiting for a nice long red wing feather.

The small wind generator I'm making will be used to provide Roger with some of the comforts of home. This wind is perfect for it's initial test.
Evo
Nov19-11, 12:18 PM
Mentor
P: 25,932
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Will do. I might get a wind detached feather for you. She did shed a tail feather that I kept but I'm waiting for a nice long red wing feather.

The small wind generator I'm making will be used to provide Roger with some of the comforts of home. This wind is perfect for it's initial test.
Oooh, you're wonderful!! An electric fireplace (for safety), flat screen tv, music system. I heard mellow music encourages egg laying.
turbo
Nov22-11, 01:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
We're in line to get 8-12" of snow starting later tonight and into tomorrow. I'm as ready as I can expect to be, given the circumstances, but there is still stuff that I'd like to get done.
Jimmy Snyder
Nov22-11, 02:05 PM
P: 2,163
We're expecting snow in Maine down here too, but nothing locally. I know for you the first 3 inches don't count, but it looks like you're in for more than twice that. Did you get that snowblower with the heated cabin?
turbo
Nov22-11, 02:25 PM
PF Gold
I have a walk-behind snow-blower for the light stuff (maybe 6-10 inches) with no cabin at all, and a tractor with a bucket in case the snow is really deep and/or wet. We can never tell with these early storms.
OCR
Nov22-11, 03:45 PM
P: 108
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
Wednesday night and yesterday morning, 15 cm (6 inches) of snow fell here. This morning, I had a 25 minute walk at -16 C ( 3 F).
Here in eastern Montana, on Thursday night November 17, the low was -2 F ( -18.9 C ).

I didn't have to go for a walk, though... lol

We have about the same amount of snow as you do, also... typical weather for this time of year.

Just for some fun information, if any body would like to reply... what's the lowest temperature you've ever experienced?

It was -52 F ( -46.7 C ) here, for a couple of days... think it was 1986, or there about, I don't remember the month.

OCR
Evo
Nov22-11, 03:59 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by OCR View Post
Here in eastern Montana, on Thursday night November 17, the low was -2 F ( -18.9 C ).

We have about the same amount of snow as you do, also... typical weather for this time of year.

Just for some fun information, if any body would like to reply... what's the lowest temperature you've ever experienced?

It was -52 F ( -46.7 C ) here, for a couple of days... think it was 1986, or there about, I don't remember the month.

OCR
With wind chill 63F below zero, Upstate, NY. The most uncomfortable was Steamboat Springs, CO. You would inhale through your nose and your nose hair would instantly ice up and crackle.
lisab
Nov22-11, 04:03 PM
Mentor
P: 2,915

OCR

Sounds close to what I experienced for several days when I lived in Fairbanks, AK. It was bumping around between -45 and -50 C.

The year after I moved away from Alaska, they had record-breaking cold. The thermometers at Eielson Air Force Base only went to -70 F and I heard they were pegged out. Brrrr, I'm glad I missed it!
Pythagorean
Nov22-11, 06:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,182
right when it hit -30 F here, the water heater element burned out and the upstairs registers got airlocked. It happened to be a weekend too. All's well now, though.
Jimmy Snyder
Nov22-11, 09:55 PM
P: 2,163
This brings me to mind of the winter of aught five. Well sonny, it was so cold that we emptied out the freezer and got inside to warm up. It was plenty below, but it kept dropping. We had to push the house down the street to jump start the furnace. That's when it really started to get chilly. We went to milk the cows and got ice cream instead. It still fell lower. It was colder than a snowball on a rat's #$@ in hell on a cold day in July when the sun don't shine. But lower it went. Flashers would merely describe themselves. But then it got really cold. I had to button up my vest.
Evo
Nov22-11, 10:00 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
This brings me to mind of the winter of aught five. Well sonny, it was so cold that we emptied out the freezer and got inside to warm up. It was plenty below, but it kept dropping. We had to push the house down the street to jump start the furnace. That's when it really started to get chilly. We went to milk the cows and got ice cream instead. It still fell lower. It was colder than a snowball on a rat's #$@ in hell on a cold day in July when the sun don't shine. But lower it went. Flashers would merely describe themselves. But then it got really cold. I had to button up my vest.
turbo
Nov23-11, 12:02 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
I hate when that happens.
Andre
Nov23-11, 02:53 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,450

OCR
-63C in Resolute, NWT, Canada in February 1989

The station temperature was a bit higher but we were in a shallow valley, where the coldest air tends to accumulate.

So why be in a valley anyway? because that's where enough snow accumulates to build yourself an igloo. We were practicing arctic survival, hosted by the Canadian Armed Forces.

Actually the thermometer minimum was -60C so we had to estimate the length of the fluid column. So that challenges Mark Twain's hypothesis:

Quote Quote by Mark Twain
“Cold! If the thermometer had been an inch longer we'd have frozen to death.”
turbo
Nov23-11, 08:50 AM
PF Gold
We have about 4" on the ground, so it's just starting to actually snow. The breeze is out of the E-NE, so this one could last a while. If the wind was stronger, we could hope for it to move on soon. Not happening.
chaoseverlasting
Nov23-11, 09:05 AM
P: 1,017
Thats such a contrast from where I am at the moment. Its the most unusual feeling being in a temperate city where its still 25-35C outside in NOVEMBER! I almost cant believe it. I recently went back home and brought a load of warm clothes with me, but I dont use them :p
turbo
Nov23-11, 10:33 AM
PF Gold
Look around you, chaos. What are other people wearing? When I was doing consulting work in south GA, I'd fly into Tallahassee because air-fares to there were very cheap. I'd be dressed in jeans and a T-shirt in winter when I got out of the terminal, and so many of the people around me were wearing sweats and down vests/jackets. When the daytime temps plummet to ~60F there, out comes the winter gear. It's pretty crazy.
turbo
Nov23-11, 01:26 PM
PF Gold
Duke and I took a run to the nearest large town today. Normally a 20-minute drive at most, but today it took almost 45 minutes because people were freaked out by the snow. It's the first time that the dog-limo Honda pickup truck has been out in the snow, and it performed beautifully. Gotta love the Ridgeline for this climate.

The temp has been vacillating around freezing for the last couple of hours, so I'll have my hands full tomorrow. Maybe a bit of shoveling and a lot of Kubota.
D H
Dec16-11, 11:36 AM
Mentor
P: 14,454
It's not cold here yet in Houston, but wow, the fall foliage is absolutely fantastic this year compared to normal thanks to the prolonged drought last spring/summer/fall.

Register to reply