Register to reply

Rotation of Parabolas

by Vorde
Tags: parabolas, rotation
Share this thread:
Vorde
Nov26-11, 08:42 PM
P: 784
What is the maximum angle (degrees or radians) that you can rotate the basic parabola (y=x2) so that it can still be graphed as a function (y=...) with only one possible y-value per x-input.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
flyingpig
Nov26-11, 09:18 PM
P: 2,568
I think it's 0, because when you include the xy factor, it doesn't become a function anymore.
Vorde
Nov26-11, 09:46 PM
But more abstractly, I think it's possible to do a slight rotation, but there's an obvious cutoff point. I'm curious where that cutoff point is, it could be zero, I can't quite picture it well enough.

HallsofIvy
Nov27-11, 07:17 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,339
Rotation of Parabolas

No, that's not correct. Any rotation at all makes it no longer a function.

Start with [itex]y= x^2[/itex]. With a rotation through an angle [itex]\theta[/itex] we can write [itex]x= x' cos(\theta)+ y' sin(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= x' sin(\theta)- y' cos(\theta)[/itex] where x' and y' are the new, tilted coordinates.

In this new coordinate system, the parabola becomes [tex]x'sin(\theta)- y'cos(\theta)= (x'cos(\theta)+ y'sin(\theta))^2= x'^2 cos^2(\theta)+ 2x'y'sin(\theta)cos(\theta)+ y'^2 sin^2(\theta)[/tex].

Now, if we were to fix x' and try to solve for y' we would get, for any non-zero [itex]\theta[/itex], a quadratic equation which would have two values of y for each x.
phinds
Nov27-11, 08:35 AM
PF Gold
P: 6,103
Vorde, I could not fault the logic presented by Hallsofivy, but it didn't FEEL right, so I played w/ it a bit from what I thought of as a more intuitive way of looking at it thinking it would show that at least a small rotation would work, but it clearly doesn't.

Here's how I got there. Think of a line that goes through the origin but really hugs the y axis. Let's say it has a slope of 1,000, and it has a sister line just on the other side of the y axis with a slope of -1,000. If neither of them hit the parabola, then clearly you could rotate it by that much. It's trivially easy to show though that they both DO hit the parabola (at x = 1,000 and x=-1,000 assuming the given example of y = x^2) so Hallofivy obviously had it right and that was all a waste of time mathematically, but it DID help me see more graphically why he is right.
Vorde
Nov27-11, 10:39 AM
Both what HallsofIvy and phinds said make perfect sense to me. I had a feeling the answer might be zero, but I couldn't convince myself either way, thanks to both of you.

Register to reply