Register to reply

Ridiculous Laws

by Michea
Tags: laws, ridiculous
Share this thread:
Michea
Nov29-11, 11:47 PM
P: n/a
Do you have any idea about ridiculous laws? These are the laws which makes no proper sense. Usually the purpose of making laws is to improve the disciplined level in society. Some of the really ridiculous laws are.

1.You may not have an ice cream cone in your back pocket at any time.
2. It is illegal to manufacture imitation cocaine.
3. Dogs may not bark after 6 pm.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
zoobyshoe
Nov30-11, 01:45 AM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by Michea View Post
Do you have any idea about ridiculous laws? These are the laws which makes no proper sense. Usually the purpose of making laws is to improve the disciplined level in society. Some of the really ridiculous laws are.

2. It is illegal to manufacture imitation cocaine.
3. Dogs may not bark after 6 pm.
I can think of good reasons for the latter two.

#1 is problematic. It's hard to imagine enough people ever wanted to do it to have to make it illegal.
Michea
Nov30-11, 01:50 AM
Agree with you . You can also find some more laws which are really stupid from here.
http://www.elistmania.com/still/50_s...rom_50_states/

zoobyshoe
Nov30-11, 02:00 AM
Ridiculous Laws

Here's a good one:

It's illegal to take a lion to the movies.

Obviously, some person was stopped by the theater staff from bringing their pet lion in. They probably tried to sue claiming there was no law against it. The town council, therefore, had to pass a law forbidding it.

Still, there's no explanation for the Florida law against showering naked.
SW VandeCarr
Nov30-11, 02:04 AM
P: 2,499

I think people have the right, under the Second Amendment (US Constitution), to have an ice cream cone in their back pocket provided it's not concealed.
Michea
Nov30-11, 02:17 AM
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Here's a good one:

It's illegal to take a lion to the movies.

Obviously, some person was stopped by the theater staff from bringing their pet lion in. They probably tried to sue claiming there was no law against it. The town council, therefore, had to pass a law forbidding it.

Still, there's no explanation for the Florida law against showering naked.
There should be atleast some reasons present behiend the laws made by government..
SW VandeCarr
Nov30-11, 02:31 AM
P: 2,499
There should be atleast some reasons present behiend the laws made by government..
It's not in your list, but years ago I read that the state of Indiana once passed a law defining pi as exactly 3. Being able to elect idiots to govern us is a sacred right we Americans fought and died for.
Jimmy Snyder
Nov30-11, 03:23 AM
P: 2,179
There was a gang of drug dealers in our area that were selling imitation cocaine. The dogs would bark at them at 6:05 and sometimes as late as 6:10. They're gone now. It seems they were walking around with ice cream in their back pockets and got busted.
Pengwuino
Nov30-11, 03:38 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Along the lines of what zooby said and probably along the lines of how corporate rules come into effect, it's probably because someone DID do something stupid enough to require stupid rules. I mean, I think it comes with the territory when any group has rule making abilities. Even in something like an online forum like ours, they have rules. Look at our rules. No 9/11 conspiracy talk? Well, that rule came into effect because people kept flooding the forum claiming they had heard 9/11 was a conspiracy or whatever. Prophet Yahwey? Because someone kept making threads I'm sure. Almost all of those rules probably came up because people kept making threads babbling on and not listening to reason.

I think the real question would be who did what to cause people to ban ice cream in pockets :P
zoobyshoe
Nov30-11, 03:52 AM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
I think the real question would be who did what to cause people to ban ice cream in pockets :P
Ruined some nice furniture I'll bet.
zoobyshoe
Nov30-11, 03:57 AM
Quote Quote by SW VandeCarr View Post
It's not in your list, but years ago I read that the state of Indiana once passed a law defining pi as exactly 3. Being able to elect idiots to govern us is a sacred right we Americans fought and died for.
I had to check, and the story has been altered in the retelling. Here's what Wiki says actually happened:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indiana_Pi_Bill
Office_Shredder
Nov30-11, 09:21 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,500
I take these websites with a grain of salt unless they cite where they're getting it from. For example, it might be illegal to bring any animal into an establishment which serves food - in particular, it's illegal to bring a lion to the movies! Hyuck hyuck hyuck cue internet complaining about the inefficiencies of government
D H
Nov30-11, 10:24 AM
Mentor
P: 15,060
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Look at our rules. No 9/11 conspiracy talk?
And yet we still get people trying to post about 9/11. After being shut down, the inevitable response is "The rules only prohibit 9/11 conspiracy theories. I just wanted to talk about the physical impossibility of the collapse of WT7." Note that we have not added yet another rule to prohibit discussion of the collapse of WT7. Now we just send them packing.

But that does point out one origin of such rules. Someone did something utterly stupid such as blocking a road for hours on end but couldn't convicted because there was no law against blocking a road.

Some of those stupid laws look stupid now but may have made a whole lot of sense when they were written. Twenty years from now our rule against 9/11 conspiracy theories, if it's still present, would look downright stupid. We can easily clean our rules.

Cleaning up is not so easy for legislatures to do so. Some those laws against various sexual proclivities have been found to be unconstitutional: They cannot be unenforced. They nonetheless remain on the books because no legislator in his/her right mind would propose removing them from the books.

Some of those stupid laws appear stupid because the person who compiled the web page stripped the context that makes the law perfectly sensible. I haven't found the text of the Florida law against showering naked. My guess is that the law does not prohibit showering naked in general; it instead prohibits showering naked in an open public shower on Florida public property (e.g., the wall-less, curtain-less showers on public beaches used to rinse off salt and sand).
nitsuj
Nov30-11, 12:21 PM
P: 1,097
I think there is a canadian federal law regarding debt repayment and pennies. Along the lines of being able to legally refuse payment (loan repayment) that's more then a certain amount.

That one is pretty funny. I can imagine how that one came about; some upset debtor forced to repay and thinks "oh yea, it's gunna be all in pennies!"
zoobyshoe
Nov30-11, 01:02 PM
Quote Quote by D H View Post
My guess is that the law does not prohibit showering naked in general; it instead prohibits showering naked in an open public shower on Florida public property (e.g., the wall-less, curtain-less showers on public beaches used to rinse off salt and sand)
Something like this is almost certainly the explanation. And, it's probably not a Florida State law, just an ordinance in some small town or city.

On the other hand some crazy laws might have their origin in crazy lawmakers. If you read the wiki article on the crackpot who got into the Indiana legistature you'll see it's possible, especially if they got into some lawmaking body where they were not opposed by enough reasonable people.
AlephZero
Nov30-11, 02:12 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,927
Quote Quote by nitsuj View Post
I think there is a canadian federal law regarding debt repayment and pennies. Along the lines of being able to legally refuse payment (loan repayment) that's more then a certain amount.

That one is pretty funny.
I don't see anything funny about that. The UK has a similar law. http://www.royalmint.com/corporate/p...uidelines.aspx is an accurate explanation.
nitsuj
Nov30-11, 02:35 PM
P: 1,097
you're right.

I thought about it and that's not funny at all. rolleyes ->

Sorry, I'm missing the seriousness of the law, please explain.
AlephZero
Nov30-11, 04:01 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,927
Quote Quote by nitsuj View Post
Sorry, I'm missing the seriousness of the law, please explain.
If you need to pay money to a court of law in England, you are not allowed to fool around. The amount of coins you can use to pay is limited to what a normal "sensible" person would consider reasonable. There is no limit on using bank notes.

For any other payments, the two parties can agree to accept anything they like.

Some of this goes back a long way into history. Did you notice the fact that English bank notes are not "legal tender" in Scotland, for example? Of course English notes are used in Scotland every day, and Scottish bank notes are used on the English side of the border. But that is only by agreement between people. You don't have any legal right to insist that you can pay with English money in Scotland, even though the "exchange rate" is fixed at 1 = 1.

Register to reply