Measuring Impact Velocity with a Ballistic Pendulum Prototype

In summary, the conversation is about a search for a device that can measure impact velocity, specifically a sturdier version of a ballistic pendulum that can withstand a lot of abuse. The speaker is open to retrofitting an existing device or using parts to create their own makeshift version. They mention the possibility of using a hydrology velocity meter, but are unsure if it would be suitable for their needs.
knosaj
some device or contraption to measure point impact velocity - ballistic pendulum ?

i hope you guys and gals can point me in the right direction for a prototype i am working on.

I am looking for a device that measures impact velocity. much like a ballistic pendulum only much sturdier than the ones I've seen online. it has to be able to take a lot of abuse

it doesn't need to be a complete item, i can work with anything that i will be able to rig together, mount on a pole and take the measurement.

it should operate with a pendulum type motion. it doesn't have to be small, but it should be portable.

thank you in advance for your help.

-jason

Engineering news on Phys.org

anyone?

maybe something that is already in production that i can retro fit?

i have seen the hydrology velocity meters, but i am not sure this would measure the same type of velocity that i am looking for. besides the one i have seen may not stand up to the impacts i will subject it to.

thanks again.

1. How does a ballistic pendulum prototype measure impact velocity?

A ballistic pendulum prototype measures impact velocity by using the principle of conservation of momentum. When a projectile, such as a bullet, hits a pendulum, it transfers its momentum to the pendulum. The pendulum then swings upwards, and the angle of the swing can be used to calculate the projectile's velocity.

2. What materials are needed to construct a ballistic pendulum prototype?

The materials needed to construct a ballistic pendulum prototype include a strong and sturdy pendulum arm, a pivot point for the arm to swing on, a target for the projectile to hit, a ruler or protractor for measuring the angle of the pendulum swing, and a support structure to hold all the components in place.

3. How accurate is a ballistic pendulum prototype in measuring impact velocity?

A ballistic pendulum prototype can be fairly accurate in measuring impact velocity, but it also depends on the precision of the measurements taken. Factors such as air resistance, friction, and imperfections in the materials used can affect the accuracy of the measurements.

4. Can a ballistic pendulum prototype be used to measure impact velocity for different types of projectiles?

Yes, a ballistic pendulum prototype can be used to measure impact velocity for different types of projectiles, as long as they are within the weight and size limits of the prototype. The calculations may need to be adjusted for different projectile masses, but the overall principle remains the same.

5. Are there any limitations or drawbacks to using a ballistic pendulum prototype to measure impact velocity?

One limitation of using a ballistic pendulum prototype is that it can only measure the velocity of a projectile in a horizontal direction. It also requires precise measurements and calculations, which can be time-consuming and prone to error. Additionally, the prototype may not accurately measure the velocity of very small or very fast projectiles.