Register to reply

Ways of distributing money.

by toreil
Tags: distributing, money
Share this thread:
toreil
Dec18-11, 06:23 AM
P: 6
I am studying for a statistical physics exam and have been struggling with the statistic parts, especially calculating the number of microstates. I am starting to understand most questions but have no clue how to handle this one.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We distribute a total of E dollars among a population of N people. The rules are that each person can get a max of 1 dollar and that E < N, find the number of ways this can be done.

2. Relevant equations

?

3. The attempt at a solution

W = [itex]\frac{\left(E\times100\right)!}{100!\left(\left(E-1\right)\times100\right)!}\times p_{e}[/itex] where [itex]p_{e} = \frac{E}{N}[/itex] the average value received by each person
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
awkward
Dec18-11, 01:20 PM
P: 327
OK, so each person either does or does not get a dollar, and there are E dollars total.

Hmmm... so isn't this exactly the same as selecting a subset of size E from the N people?
toreil
Dec18-11, 01:49 PM
P: 6
As far as I'm aware because the question states that each person gets a maximum of 1 dollar the actual amount of money each person receives is counted in cents rather than dollars.

awkward
Dec18-11, 07:00 PM
P: 327
Ways of distributing money.

To me, "We distribute a total of E dollars" sounds like the unit of distribution is a dollar. But other interpretations are certainly possible.
Ray Vickson
Dec19-11, 02:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,013
Quote Quote by toreil View Post
As far as I'm aware because the question states that each person gets a maximum of 1 dollar the actual amount of money each person receives is counted in cents rather than dollars.
This would correspond to an unphysical situation in which Money is neither Bose-Einstein (person can have any number of dollars) or Fermi-Dirac (person can have either 1 dollar or none). Of course, money IS unphysical, so maybe the 100 cents interpretation is OK.

RGV

Register to reply