Remove temperature from welded copper piece

by joop12
Tags: copper, piece, remove, temperature, welded
Share this thread:
joop12
Dec24-11, 02:03 AM
P: 3
Hello everybody,

I am designing a machine where i have a welded copper piece which i have to cool it from 800 c to 100 c
i m using normal flow water.please guide me how much water , flow rate, and pressure do i need.I have maximum 40 sec to bring it 100 c temp.in order to select water pump and tank.
Data:
40 sec
size of copper piece: LxBxW : 8 x 20 x 120
cooling : from 800 c to 100 c
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Danger
Dec25-11, 12:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Welcome to PF, Joop.
I probably can't help you at all, being uneducated, but a couple of parameters seem to be missing from your scenario. The first of those is what units you are using. You say that the pipe is 8 x 20 x 120, but you don't say whether that is mm's, cm's, inches, metres, miles... I rule out lightyears because you wouldn't have had time to build it.
People familiar with the subject might already know, but I personally would have to ask about the chill characteristics of the weld. Some don't handle rapid cooling very well.
Please believe that I'm not putting you down; I just think that you have to provide more information before a reasonable analysis can be made.
pantaz
Dec25-11, 06:04 PM
P: 588
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
... You say that the pipe is 8 x 20 x 120 ...
Actually, it just says "welded copper piece". It could be a finned heat-sink, or even a solid block of copper.

Is it just a piece of copper coming out of a furnace, or is it connected to some additional piece of equipment? Are you planning to flow coolant (I doubt water will help much at 800 C) through the piece, or just spray it in open air? We also need the ambient temperature and the coolant/water temperature.

joop12
Dec26-11, 06:05 AM
Remove temperature from welded copper piece

sorry i forgot to mention size..it is in (mm).basicaly i am wraping 41 times the copper band which is 0.2mm thin around a plate.then i would weld them after welding i have to cool this to 100 c from 800 c for further opertaions.I would use normal water to flow at 20 C .in order to select water tank and pump sizing I need water flow rate, pressure. and moreover working temerature range of room also should be around 40 c.Please guide me and give me formulas
joop12
Dec26-11, 06:06 AM
Quote Quote by Danger View Post
Welcome to PF, Joop.
I probably can't help you at all, being uneducated, but a couple of parameters seem to be missing from your scenario. The first of those is what units you are using. You say that the pipe is 8 x 20 x 120, but you don't say whether that is mm's, cm's, inches, metres, miles... I rule out lightyears because you wouldn't have had time to build it.
People familiar with the subject might already know, but I personally would have to ask about the chill characteristics of the weld. Some don't handle rapid cooling very well.
Please believe that I'm not putting you down; I just think that you have to provide more information before a reasonable analysis can be made.
sorry i forgot to mention size..it is in (mm).basicaly i am wraping 41 times the copper band which is 0.2mm thin around a plate.then i would weld them after welding i have to cool this to 100 c from 800 c for further opertaions.I would use normal water to flow at 20 C .in order to select water tank and pump sizing I need water flow rate, pressure. and moreover working temerature range of room also should be around 40 c.Please guide me and give me formulas
Danger
Dec26-11, 03:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
Quote Quote by pantaz View Post
Actually, it just says "welded copper piece". It could be a finned heat-sink, or even a solid block of copper.
Good catch. I'm not sure where the idea of a pipe came from, unless perhaps because of the mention of water flow. My mind is easily derailed.

Register to reply