Creating a telegraph, quick question?

• Thread starter Vlfe
  • Start date
In summary, the fault in the design may be due to incorrect wiring or connections, as well as the placement of the electromagnet and nail. It is recommended to place the electromagnet closer to the end of the metal strip and solder all connections for better performance. The air gap should also be reduced and placed closer to the end of the armature.
Vlfe
Could someone tell me the fault in my design?

Here is how I set it up:
----.jpg

---.jpg

--.jpg

-.jpg

I am using 22 gauge hookup wire, all of the metal is steel (magnetic), and the nail in the electromagnet part is iron.

Am I connecting the wires to the wrong metal parts, or doing so incorrectly? I found this set up at: http://w1tp.com/perbuild.htm

Please help, I am so lost :(

Engineering news on Phys.org
The electromagnet should be farther out towards the end of the metal strip. Also, you should have the nail installed that prevents the metal strip from going up too high away from the electromagnet. The nail I refer to is the one that makes the 'clack' as described in your link. When you press the key is the electromagnet working? Is it magnetic at all?

Yes further out toward the end and much closer to the nail. Maybe 1/16th of an inch or less.

You may have a lot of rather high resistance electrical connections also, such that you are unable to draw much current through your magnet. If you could solder all of your wire-to-nail and nail-to-metal strip connections, you might see significantly better performance.The previous comments about reducing the air gap over the magnet and placing the air gap closer to the end of the armature are extremely important as well.

First of all, I appreciate your enthusiasm for creating a telegraph. It is always exciting to see individuals taking an interest in science and technology. As for your question, there are a few things to consider when setting up a telegraph.

Firstly, it is important to ensure that the metal used for the wires and the nail in the electromagnet are conductive. Steel, while it is magnetic, is not the most conductive material, so using copper or brass may be more effective. Additionally, the thickness of the wire can also impact its conductivity. A thicker wire may result in a stronger and more reliable signal.

Secondly, the way the wires are connected can also affect the performance of the telegraph. It is important to make sure that the connections are secure and that there are no loose or frayed ends. You may also want to consider using solder to connect the wires for a more stable connection.

Lastly, it is important to follow a reliable and tested design when creating a telegraph. The website you referenced may be a good starting point, but it would be beneficial to also consult other sources and compare their designs to ensure accuracy and functionality.

I hope this helps and good luck with your telegraph project. Remember, trial and error is a crucial part of the scientific process, so don't be discouraged if your first attempt doesn't work perfectly. Keep experimenting and learning from your mistakes.

1. How does a telegraph work?

A telegraph works by sending electrical signals through a wire to transmit messages. The sender uses a telegraph key to interrupt the electrical current, creating a series of dots and dashes that represent letters. The receiver then decodes these signals to interpret the message.

2. What materials are needed to create a telegraph?

To create a telegraph, you will need a telegraph key, a battery, wires, and a receiver. You may also need additional materials such as a sounder, which produces an audible tone when receiving a signal, and a switch, which allows the sender to control the flow of electricity.

3. How far can a telegraph signal travel?

The distance a telegraph signal can travel depends on the strength of the battery and the quality of the wires used. In the 1800s, telegraph signals were able to travel up to 2,000 miles. With modern technology, telegraph signals can now travel much further.

4. Can a telegraph be used to send messages over long distances?

Yes, a telegraph was one of the earliest forms of long-distance communication. It was commonly used in the 19th and early 20th centuries to send messages across continents and oceans, connecting people and businesses around the world.

5. How has the telegraph impacted communication in the modern world?

The telegraph revolutionized communication by allowing messages to be transmitted quickly over long distances. It paved the way for other forms of communication, such as the telephone, radio, and internet. The telegraph also played a crucial role in the development of the modern telecommunications industry.