Wikipedia blackout

by Hurkyl
Tags: blackout, wikipedia
Share this thread:
IMP
Jan17-12, 01:38 PM
P: 71
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
The law is to stop piracy, in other words *theft*, something that we do not condone here, as per our guidelines.
Just to clarify: This law is to stop copyright infringement, which in NOT theft. For a theft to occur the rightful owner of the item/content/thing must be denied the item/content/thing. If the owner has exactly what they started with, no theft occurred. Making an exact copy of something does not deny the rightful owner the original...

I very much understand the spirit of the use of the word "theft" in this context though.
Ryan_m_b
Jan17-12, 01:38 PM
Mentor
P: 5,405
The law is to stop piracy, in other words *theft*, something that we do not condone here, as per our guidelines.
True but it isn't just a question of theft. If I uploaded a home video of a birthday party that happened to have music in the background (copyrighted) that would be classed as theft under this law leading to the website shut down (even if temporarily) and me (were I a US citizen) potentially facing a prison sentence.

This is on the understanding that I understand the implications of SOPA correctly.
NeoDevin
Jan17-12, 01:40 PM
P: 687
That may be the original intent, but it's likely to have effects far beyond stopping theft.

It won't actually do much to stop theft though.
ThomasT
Jan17-12, 01:41 PM
P: 1,414
If people weren't required to pay such exorbitant prices for movies and music, maybe they'd just buy it. The markup on this stuff is absurd. I'll pay a few dollars for a cd or dvd that cost pennies to produce, but not the $15, $20, $25 and up that they're charging. It's ridiculous. And their profits are ridiculous. So, screw them. Currently, anybody in the world can get any music or movie they want for free. Personally, I would much rather buy a shrikwrapped, professionally produced, cd or dvd for a few dollars, than to take a chance getting computer viruses (or arrested) by downloading the stuff for nothing. But I'm not going to pay what they currently want to charge for the stuff.

If internet piracy is such a problem, then how is it that some films are grossing billions, and musical recording artists and companies are still getting rich from cd sales?
Ryan_m_b
Jan17-12, 01:43 PM
Mentor
P: 5,405
Can we keep the discussion to the implications of SOPA rather than the a general discussion on piracy and copyright? If not the thread will be locked.
Pythagorean
Jan17-12, 01:44 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
but they are taking a reckless approach to achieving that end. They are being ignorant about the repercussions. It's really up to the software engineers nowadays, and the companies themselves, to design good copyright protection.

Minecraft. A game that everyone I know who pirates has actually bought. And the owner, Notch, is publicaly ok with pirating... probably mostly because he knows how to program (and knows how to socially engineer his product) so it doesn't hurt him. People have to buy his game to really enjoy it. Same with most Xbox LIVE games.

There's plenty of good solutions, blind massive policy change is not one of them. All the money spent lobbying this bill could have been spent on better programmers and socially aware marketers :)
Evo
Jan17-12, 01:44 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
Quote Quote by IMP View Post
Just to clarify: This law is to stop copyright infringement, which in NOT theft. For a theft to occur the rightful owner of the item/content/thing must be denied the item/content/thing. If the owner has exactly what they started with, no theft occurred. Making an exact copy of something does not deny the rightful owner the original...

I very much understand the spirit of the use of the word "theft" in this context though.
It's illegal. And piracy is theft. Re-read my post.
Char. Limit
Jan17-12, 01:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,943
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
Can we keep the discussion to the implications of SOPA rather than the a general discussion on piracy and copyright? If not the thread will be locked.
Or rather, perhaps even keeping the discussion on the Wikipedia blackout (which might I add, it's not just wikipedia; a long list of sites are blacking out tomorrow):

http://nlb-creations.com/2012/01/13/...otesting-sopa/
Evo
Jan17-12, 01:50 PM
Mentor
P: 26,474
People apparently do not know what the bill is, SOPA stands for Stop Online Piracy Act.

I refer back to http://www.physicsforums.com/showpos...33&postcount=7
Pythagorean
Jan17-12, 01:50 PM
PF Gold
Don't worry, I'm sure conservapedia will still be up :)
ThomasT
Jan17-12, 01:56 PM
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
I see the fundamental issue as quite straightforward.

1. The internet should be regulated somehow.
This might be the view of some, but I don't agree with it. The internet, as it exists now, at least in the US afaik, is an essentially unregulated medium of information transmission. I want it to stay that way. With all the so-called 'piracy' of movies and music they still make millions of dollars in profits. I really don't see the problem.

But, imho, the problem of the proposed legislation goes beyond just movies and music, and would affect the free dissemination of political opinion.

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
2. The USA should not have, or claim to have, unilateral authority to regulate anything world-wide. Period. That is completely non-negotiable IMO. Of course I don't expect every US citizen to agree with that position.
This I agree with.
Pythagorean
Jan17-12, 01:57 PM
PF Gold
Irony:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:POINT
Char. Limit
Jan17-12, 01:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,943
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
Don't worry, Wiki already has a counter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NORULES
ThomasT
Jan17-12, 01:59 PM
I expect it to be locked anyway. If not, then that will be a pleasant surprise.
ThomasT
Jan17-12, 02:01 PM
Don't worry, I'm sure conservapedia will still be up :)
Pythagorean
Jan17-12, 02:05 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
Don't worry, Wiki already has a counter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:NORULES
Yeah, if you actually read the header in the POINT link, it says:

It is a generally accepted standard that editors should attempt to follow, though it is best treated with common sense, and occasional exceptions may apply.
ThomasT
Jan17-12, 02:06 PM
but they are taking a reckless approach to achieving that end. They are being ignorant about the repercussions. It's really up to the software engineers nowadays, and the companies themselves, to design good copyright protection.

Minecraft. A game that everyone I know who pirates has actually bought. And the owner, Notch, is publicaly ok with pirating... probably mostly because he knows how to program (and knows how to socially engineer his product) so it doesn't hurt him. People have to buy his game to really enjoy it. Same with most Xbox LIVE games.

There's plenty of good solutions, blind massive policy change is not one of them. All the money spent lobbying this bill could have been spent on better programmers and socially aware marketers :)
This makes sense to me.
GregJ
Jan17-12, 02:46 PM
P: 66
This new SOPA bill could make life difficult (and probably very expensive) for all of the social sites. They would have to monitor and asses everything their users post and/or upload for potential pirated material.

And on top of all this, if you look at the bill itself, it is vague on many points. This leaves plenty of room for abuse.

I think it is great that wikipedia is doing this. I am surprised that google, facebook and more of the "big boys on the block" are not doing the same to be honest.

Anyone not sure what SOPA is exactly, have a quick look here for a brief rundown:Edit: removed inappropriate source

Register to reply