Register to reply

Why is this a linear differential equation?

by SMA_01
Tags: differential, equation, linear
Share this thread:
SMA_01
Jan19-12, 10:14 PM
P: 218
Why is y'-2xy=x a linear differential equation? I thought it would be nonlinear due to the 2xy...?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists discover RNA modifications in some unexpected places
Scientists discover tropical tree microbiome in Panama
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Ray Vickson
Jan19-12, 10:30 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,186
Quote Quote by SMA_01 View Post
Why is y'-2xy=x a linear differential equation? I thought it would be nonlinear due to the 2xy...?
It is linear *in y*; it would be a nonlinear DE if it contained things like y^2, exp(y), 1/(1+y), etc. Another way to see it is: if y1 and y2 are two solutions and a, b are constants, then the linear combination a*y1 + b*y2 is also a solution. That would generally fail for a nonlinear DE.

RGV
Ray Vickson
Jan20-12, 11:42 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,186
Quote Quote by Ray Vickson View Post
It is linear *in y*; it would be a nonlinear DE if it contained things like y^2, exp(y), 1/(1+y), etc. Another way to see it is: if y1 and y2 are two solutions and a, b are constants, then the linear combination a*y1 + b*y2 is also a solution. That would generally fail for a nonlinear DE.

RGV
Sorry: I mean that the above linear combination property is true of the _homogeneous_ equation, with 0 on the right-hand-side; it may, of course, fail for a nonzero right-hand-side. Also: I should have mentioned that a DE is nonlinear as well if it has terms nonlinear in y and/or y', such as y*y' or (y')^2, etc.

RGV

A. Bahat
Jan20-12, 12:33 PM
P: 150
Why is this a linear differential equation?

Another way of looking at it is to consider the operator [itex]L=\frac{d}{dx}-2x[/itex], so that the differential equation becomes [itex]Ly=x[/itex]. Then we say the differential equation is linear if that operator [itex]L[/itex] is linear, i.e. [tex]L(f+g)=L(f)+L(g)[/tex] and [tex]L(cf)=cL(f)[/tex] for all (suitably smooth) functions [itex]f[/itex] and [itex]g[/itex] and constants [itex]c[/itex] (where addition of functions and multiplication of a function by a constant are defined point-wise as usual). This is equivalent to what Ray Vickson just said: if you consider the equation [itex]Ly=0[/itex], then (as a result of the linearity of [itex]L[/itex]) any linear combination of solutions is also a solution.

Register to reply