Energy - Finding Spring Constant

In summary, the question asks for the spring constant of a spring that has been compressed 3 inches by a mass of .5 lb pushed down a ramp at a constant unknown force. To solve for the spring constant, the equation 1/2mv2o + mgho + 1/2Kx2o + Wnc = 1/2mv2 + mgh + 1/2Kx2 can be used, but the work of non-conservative forces and the final and initial velocities are needed. The strength of the spring depends on the force, which is not given in the question.
njanek

Homework Statement

If a mass (.5 lb) is pushed down a ramp at a constant unknown force into a spring, compressing it 3 inches, what is the spring constant?

Homework Equations

Mass: .5lb
Time: 3 seconds
Length of ramp: 28 inches
inital height of ramp: 5.5 inches
final height: 0
µ: .52
The ramp angle is 15o to the ground

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that if I set the equation up like this:

1/2mv2o + mgho + 1/2Kx2o + Wnc = 1/2mv2 + mgh + 1/2Kx2

And plug in what I know, I will find the answer for the spring constant, But I'm having trouble finding the work of the non conservative forces. and the final and initial velocities. I just need help figuring them out so I can solve for K.

Thank you to anyone who helps :) I really appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the unknown force is large, it will give the mass a lot of energy and the spring will have to be very strong. Or if the force is very small, the spring will be very weak.
The strength of the spring depends on the force and cannot be found without knowing the force. Or something else not given in the question.

What is the concept of spring constant?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the force applied to a spring by the distance it is stretched or compressed. It is typically measured in units of Newtons per meter (N/m).

What factors can affect the spring constant of a spring?

The spring constant can be affected by the material of the spring, the diameter and length of the spring, and the number of coils in the spring. Temperature and aging of the spring can also impact its stiffness.

Why is it important to know the spring constant?

Knowing the spring constant is important in many applications, such as designing springs for specific purposes, understanding the behavior of mechanical systems, and determining the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring.

How do you find the spring constant experimentally?

The spring constant can be found experimentally by using Hooke's Law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to its displacement. By measuring the force and displacement of a spring under different conditions, the spring constant can be calculated.