Register to reply

<help> loockwood's identity

by robimaru
Tags: <help>, identity, loockwood
Share this thread:
robimaru
Jan27-12, 01:07 AM
P: 4
i am working on my expository research about integer sequences and their relationship with the pascal's triangle using the Lockwood's identity.
but unfortunately i can't provide a complete proof for the said identity. please help me. I've been working on it for months but still i can't do the proof.
the equation is too long so maybe it would be okay if I'd just give the link?
here it is:

http://ms.appliedprobability.org/dat...les/43-3-6.pdf

any help will be highly appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Stephen Tashi
Jan28-12, 01:14 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,256
I'd hate to have to do that proof, but I don't mind "discussing" it.

Your request is for an inductive proof of the pattern suggested by the equations:
[tex] x^1 + y^1 = (x+y)^1 [/tex]
[tex] x^2 + y^2 = (x+y)^2 - 2 (xy) [/tex]
[tex] x^3 + y^3 = (x+y)^3 - 3(xy)(x+y) [/tex]
[tex] x^4 + y^4 = (x+4)^4 - 4(xy)(x+y)^2 + 2(xy)^2 [/tex]
[tex] x^5 + y^5 = (x+y)^5 - 5(xy)(x+y)^3 + 5(xy)^2(x+y) [/tex]

Essentially it asks to prove the general formula for expanding [tex] x^n + y^n [/tex] in a (finite) power series in the variables [itex] \theta = x + y [/itex] and [itex] \alpha = xy [/itex].

The article says this is done by strong induction and messy algebra.

I notice that if you multiply one of the equations on both sides by [itex] (x+y)[/itex] then it's right hand side has some resemblance to the right hand side of the next equation in the series. The left hand side becomes something that is expressible in terms of the previous equations. For example, left hand side of [itex] x^4 + y^4 [/itex] becomes:

[tex] (x+ y) (x^4 + y^4) = x^5 + y ^5 + yx^4 + xy^4 = x^5 + y^5 + (xy)(x^3 + y^3) [/tex]

So if you subtract the term [itex] (xy)(x^3 + y^3) [/itex] from both sides and then employ the equation for [itex] x^3 + y^3 [/itex], you should establish the equation for [itex] x^5 + y^5 [/itex].
robimaru
Jan29-12, 12:21 AM
thank you sir!
that is the middle term of the expansion.
I'm almost done with the proof. i did the induction and it came up well..
my only problem now is on how to evaluate the first term inside the summation part.
is there a property of summation that says that when the upper limit is less than the lower limit, its value will be zero?

dodo
Jan29-12, 03:40 AM
P: 688
<help> loockwood's identity

Sorry to meddle but, just as a side comment, wouldn't this Lockwood's identity be telling a bunch of relations among the entries in Pascal's triangle? For example, expand the binomials (x+y)^2 and (x+y)^4 to obtain[tex]x^2 + y^2 = (x+y)^2 - {2 \choose 1}xy[/tex]and[tex]\begin{align*}x^4 + y^4 &= (x+y)^4 - {4 \choose 1}x^3 y - {4 \choose 2}x^2 y^2 - {4 \choose 3}x y^3 \\
&= (x+y)^4 - {4 \choose 1}xy(x^2+y^2) - {4 \choose 2}(xy)^2\end{align*}[/tex]and, after substituting the first into the second,[tex]\begin{align*}x^4 + y^4 &= (x+y)^4 - {4 \choose 1}xy \left((x+y)^2 - {2 \choose 1}xy \right) - {4 \choose 2}(xy)^2 \\
&= (x+y)^4 - {4 \choose 1}xy (x+y)^2 + \left( {4 \choose 1}{2 \choose 1} - {4 \choose 2}\right) (xy)^2\end{align*}[/tex]whereas Lockwood's identity would give you[tex]x^4 + y^4 = (x+y)^4 - \left( {3 \choose 1} + {2 \choose 0} \right) xy (x+y)^2 + \left( {2 \choose 2} + {1 \choose 1} \right)(xy)^2[/tex]so[tex]\begin{align*} {4 \choose 1} &= {3 \choose 1} + {2 \choose 0} \\ {4 \choose 1}{2 \choose 1} - {4 \choose 2} &= {2 \choose 2} + {1 \choose 1} \end{align*}[/tex]and it doesn't appear like a coincidence; in fact it only gets more complicated with higher powers.
Stephen Tashi
Jan29-12, 11:46 AM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by robimaru View Post
is there a property of summation that says that when the upper limit is less than the lower limit, its value will be zero?
That is a common convention in summation notation, but if you are writing a proof, you can't justify a step because of a notational convention. If the indicated computation implies that there are no terms of a certain type to sum, you can point that out in words.
Stephen Tashi
Jan29-12, 11:51 AM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by Dodo View Post
wouldn't this Lockwood's identity be telling a bunch of relations among the entries in Pascal's triangle?
My guess is yes, since the article by Lockwood that is referenced in the link has a title mentioning Pascal's triangle. But I haven't read Lockwood's article.
robimaru
Jan30-12, 01:43 AM
aw the proof that we made seems wrong.
i'm afraid that we may fail the subject if we don't have the proof. i tried to contact the author of the article but he didn't respond.

using induction, x^n+ y^n=(x+y)^n+ ∑_(k=0)^⌊n/2⌋▒〖(-1)〗^k [((n-k)k) + ((n-k-1)(k-1)) ] (xy)^k (x+y)^(n-2k)
how can i prove that this holds for n+1.

having (x+y) be multiplied on both sides will give x^(n+1) + y^(n+1)
but it also produces a middle term x^(n+1)y+xy^(n+1).
Stephen Tashi
Jan30-12, 03:02 AM
Sci Advisor
but it also produces a middle term x^(n+1)y+xy^(n+1).
Of course it does and
[itex] x^{n+1} y + x y^{n+1} = (xy) ( x^n + y^n) [/itex], as illustrated by my example for the case n = 4.
robimaru
Jan30-12, 03:34 AM
yes but what am i gonna do in the proof?
Stephen Tashi
Jan30-12, 03:37 AM
Sci Advisor
I suggest you look at the example and perhaps do another one of your own. Then try to write the example symbolically using summation notation. How exactly did you get into the situation of having to prove this result if you don't have much experience in writing proofs by induction?

Register to reply