Is it easy to go from a Mechanical Engineering background to Physics

by boyongo
Tags: bs degrees, engineering, physics
boyongo
Jan29-12, 02:53 PM
P: 27
Hi, im currently an mechanical engineering student. When i finish my BS in engineering i want to a BS in physics. Will i have to take a lot of additional courses in the physics BS?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
Astronuc
Jan29-12, 04:17 PM
Admin
P: 21,637
Quote Quote by boyongo View Post
Hi, im currently an mechanical engineering student. When i finish my BS in engineering i want to a BS in physics. Will i have to take a lot of additional courses in the physics BS?
Pretty much yes. One will probably require the courses in classical mechanics/dynamics, electro-magetic (EM) theory, relativity, and quantum mechanic/quantum physics. One may have the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, so it might only be 2-3 years for a BS in physics.
mechanics_boy
Jan29-12, 05:35 PM
P: 12
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Pretty much yes. One will probably require the courses in classical mechanics/dynamics, electro-magetic (EM) theory, relativity, and quantum mechanic/quantum physics. One may have the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, so it might only be 2-3 years for a BS in physics.
Not that I wish to hijack this thread, but I'm curious if this applies to an Engineering Physics major? Can one proceed to graduate work in Physics with a bachelors in EP?

Register to reply