Register to reply

Is it easy to go from a Mechanical Engineering background to Physics

by boyongo
Tags: bs degrees, engineering, physics
Share this thread:
boyongo
Jan29-12, 02:53 PM
P: 27
Hi, im currently an mechanical engineering student. When i finish my BS in engineering i want to a BS in physics. Will i have to take a lot of additional courses in the physics BS?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
Astronuc
Jan29-12, 04:17 PM
Admin
P: 21,880
Quote Quote by boyongo View Post
Hi, im currently an mechanical engineering student. When i finish my BS in engineering i want to a BS in physics. Will i have to take a lot of additional courses in the physics BS?
Pretty much yes. One will probably require the courses in classical mechanics/dynamics, electro-magetic (EM) theory, relativity, and quantum mechanic/quantum physics. One may have the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, so it might only be 2-3 years for a BS in physics.
mechanics_boy
Jan29-12, 05:35 PM
P: 12
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Pretty much yes. One will probably require the courses in classical mechanics/dynamics, electro-magetic (EM) theory, relativity, and quantum mechanic/quantum physics. One may have the introductory prerequisites for a physics program, so it might only be 2-3 years for a BS in physics.
Not that I wish to hijack this thread, but I'm curious if this applies to an Engineering Physics major? Can one proceed to graduate work in Physics with a bachelors in EP?

Register to reply