by Pythagorean
Tags: candidacy, obama
WhoWee
Feb1-12, 10:38 PM
P: 1,123
A quick search yielded this:
http://www.nytimes.com/gwire/2011/09...nti-81006.html

"Solyndra Spent Liberally to Woo Lawmakers Until the End, Records Show"

This fiasco wasted $500+ million in taxpayer funds.
Pythagorean
Feb1-12, 10:51 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
Huh... interesting potential scam there...

After Solyndra's bankruptcy, it was revealed that the company had spent a large sum of money on lobbying, that several of the company's shareholders and executives had made substantial donations to Obama's campaign (as well as to Republicans), and that Solyndra executives had had many meetings with White House officials.
Another article:

http://www.latimes.com/news/la-na-so...,2125785.story

Steve Spinner, who helped monitor the Energy Department's issuance of $25 billion in government loan guarantees to renewable energy projects, was one of Obama's top fundraisers in 2008 and is raising money for the president's 2012 reelection campaign.

Spinner did not have any role in the selection of applicants for the loan program and, in fact, was recused from the decision to grant a $535-million loan guarantee to Solyndra Inc. because his wife's law firm represented the company, administration officials said Friday.
mheslep
Feb1-12, 10:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,021
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
He has the most experience as president with the current political atmosphere.
That's true of every one term president. Doesn't mean he gained useful experience.
mheslep
Feb1-12, 10:55 PM
PF Gold
Dictator doesn't mean evil.
Yes it does.
Pythagorean
Feb1-12, 10:59 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by mheslep View Post
That's true of every one term president. Doesn't mean he gained useful experience.
The real question is whether Romney would really make any difference in the end... If not (and my stance is that he won't) then why bother wasting time and money changing administration?

If you think Romney (or Newt?!?) would make a better candidate, then make your case! Romney has crap for stage presence compared to Obama though, so Obama is going to win, I predict; which means Romney's just wasting his own time/money.
Pythagorean
Feb1-12, 11:04 PM
PF Gold
Yes it does.
Dictator has an objective denotation: it means that one has absolute power.
Evil has a massed subjective denotation: it means different things to different cultures.

Anyway, start a metaphysics thread in philosophy if you really want to carry this out...
Jasongreat
Feb1-12, 11:06 PM
P: 75
The real question is whether Romney would really make any difference in the end... If not (and my stance is that he won't) then why bother wasting time and money changing administration?

If you think Romney (or Newt?!?) would make a better candidate, then make your case! Romney has crap for stage presence compared to Obama though, so Obama is going to win, I predict; which means Romney's just wasting his own time/money.
He would definitely be atleast a little different from Obama. Romney would make the hard choice to dump unproductive programs, Obama seems set to double down on his green energy plan. More money for more Solyndra's, more money for electric cars that start on fire and have a range of sixty miles. He made it pretty clear in his state of the union that just because of all these failures it is no reason to stop funding them. So IMO, that is one difference between Romney and Obama. Since Romney has been lambasted about his choices to shut down unproductive failing buisinesses while at Bain.
Pythagorean
Feb1-12, 11:11 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Jasongreat View Post
He would definitely be atleast a little different from Obama. Romney would make the hard choice to dump unproductive programs, Obama seems set to double down on his green energy plan. More money for more Solyndra's, more money for electric cars that start on fire and have a range of sixty miles. He made it pretty clear in his state of the union that just because of all these failures it is no reason to stop funding them. So IMO, that is one difference between Romney and Obama. Since Romney has been lambasted about his choices to shut down unproductive failing buisinesses while at Bain.
I'm not defending Solyndra or green energy in particular, and especially not the lobbying attached to that but in the sciences a program can be unproductive for a long time before it yields fruitful results. That's the nature of research and development. I don't know if I trust somebody to evaluate productivity appropriately.
mheslep
Feb1-12, 11:15 PM
PF Gold
There are over 20 million people out of work in this country that want more work. The situation has not improved, at all, since hitting bottom two years ago. Since prior recessions have all snapped back much more rapidly than this, I blame Obama. His the cause of the exploding deficits and businesses that are afraid to hire because of Obamacare and regulatory expansion like Dodd-Frank.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS12300000
Angry Citizen
Feb1-12, 11:16 PM
P: 867
more money for electric cars that start on fire and have a range of sixty miles.
Just a note, but the Volt is a gas/electric hybrid that has a range of about 300 miles, IIRC. There also exists a sports car, the Tesla Roadster, that can go about two hundred, and is all-electric.

Another note: the first cars sucked too.
mheslep
Feb1-12, 11:17 PM
PF Gold
Dictator has an objective denotation: it means that one has absolute power.
Evil has a massed subjective denotation: it means different things to different cultures.

Anyway, start a metaphysics thread in philosophy if you really want to carry this out...
No need. We are not in 'different cultures', we are in this one which is composed of free people. To grant anyone absolute power over a free people is evil.
Pythagorean
Feb1-12, 11:18 PM
PF Gold
There are over 20 million people out of work in this country that want more work. The situation has not improved, at all, since hitting bottom two years ago. Since prior recessions have all snapped back much more rapidly than this, I blame Obama. His the cause of the exploding deficits and businesses that are afraid to hire because of Obamacare and regulatory expansion like Dodd-Frank.

http://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS12300000
I don't disagree with the data you've posted, but how can I be sure of your interpretation of it (it's all Obama's fault).
ThomasT
Feb1-12, 11:27 PM
P: 1,414
The real question is whether Romney would really make any difference in the end...
Imho, a Romney admin promises to be a bit worse. At least with Obama there seems to be the chance that he might counter some of the negative forces in America. But Romney is definitely, without a doubt, pro status quo.

If not (and my stance is that he won't) then why bother wasting time and money changing administration?
No reason, imo. Vote Obama.

... Romney's just wasting his own time/money.
Yes, I think so, but he's got plenty of time/money.
ThomasT
Feb1-12, 11:37 PM
P: 1,414
There are over 20 million people out of work in this country that want more work. The situation has not improved, at all, since hitting bottom two years ago. Since prior recessions have all snapped back much more rapidly than this, I blame Obama.
Well, in a certain sense, so do I. It seems that he could have done more than he has, imo. Will a Republican do any better? I don't think so. They have essentially the same masters, and problems. What, really, can a president do? America is controlled by the big corporations, and the financial sector. The congress is, fapp, a corrupt body. Am I being too cynical?
OmCheeto
Feb1-12, 11:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,369
Yes it does.
Depends on what they're dictating....

I really should watch that movie one day.

I wonder how it will all end.

The Great Dictator
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Release date(s) October 15, 1940

The Great Dictator is a comedy film by Charlie Chaplin released in October 1940. Like most Chaplin films, he wrote, produced, and directed, in addition to starring as the lead. Having been the only Hollywood film maker to continue to make silent films well into the period of sound films, this was Chaplin's first true talking picture as well as his most commercially successful film. More importantly, it was the first major feature film to bitterly satirize Nazism and Adolf Hitler.

At the time of its first release, the United States was still formally at peace with Nazi Germany.
mheslep
Feb1-12, 11:56 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by OmCheeto View Post
Depends on what they're dictating....
Laughs aside, No.
OmCheeto
Feb2-12, 12:03 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,369
Laughs aside, No.
One man's dictator, is another nation's leader....

mege
Feb2-12, 12:06 AM
P: 192
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Imho, a Romney admin promises to be a bit worse. At least with Obama there seems to be the chance that he might counter some of the negative forces in America. But Romney is definitely, without a doubt, pro status quo.
Romney is only pro status quo in so far as he isn't out for radical change of policy. If anything he wants to 'undo' a bit of the change. Romney is a neocon, no doubt about it - but I think he will make some of the hard decisions that President Obama will not. President Obama has skirted hard decisions and spent 4 years campaigning, trying to make everyone happy while the house is burning.

Yes, I think so, but he's got plenty of time/money.
This is quite the ideological parallel: Romney using much of his own money, while President Obama is using (an expected) billion dollars of other people's money to campaign. Fancy that...

Register to reply