Determine the rate of reaction with respect to I-

In summary, the conversation discussed a series of experiments involving different solutions and concentrations, as well as the question of how to find the concentration of S2O3^2- when it is not directly given. The solution provided was to use the known rate equation and the given information to calculate the initial concentration of S2O3^2-.
blicker

Homework Statement

-------Solution1:-----Solution2:-----Solution3:---------- Solution4:-----Solution5:--------------- Solution6:
Exp. 0.200M KI-----2% starch-----0.020M Na2S2O3 -----water----0.050M acetate buffer -----0.40M H2O2

1-----2.00mL ----- 1mL --------- 1.00mL ---------------5mL --------- 10mL ------------------ 1.00mL
2-----4.00mL ----- 1mL --------- 1.00mL ---------------3mL --------- 10mL ------------------ 1.00mL
3-----2.00mL ----- 1mL ---------1.00mL ----------- ---4mL --------- 10mL --------- --------- 2.00mL

there were 3 experients and these were the recorded times:

Ex.1 Trail1=166s
Trial2=149s

Ex. 2 Trail1=48s
Trail2=55s

Ex.3 Trail1=5s
Trail2=8s

Homework Equations

The information I am given says that I- and S2O3^2- react in a 1:1 ratio resulting in Δ[I-]=ΔS2O3^2-]. How do i find the concentration of S2O3^2- when its not given? its not listed in the concentrations above, so do i have to calculate it from one of the concentrations and experiments above? if so, how would i do that?

The Attempt at a Solution

I know rateI=-Δ[S2O3^2-]/time

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know how much substance is present, you know total volume of the solution, you know everything you need to calculate the initial concentration. When everything is given, it is as if you were given the concentration itself.

1. What is the rate of reaction with respect to I-?

The rate of reaction with respect to I- refers to how quickly a reaction involves the breakdown or formation of I- ions. It is a measure of how fast the concentration of I- changes over time during a chemical reaction.

2. How is the rate of reaction with respect to I- determined?

The rate of reaction with respect to I- is determined by measuring the change in concentration of I- over a specific time period. This can be done by using a spectrophotometer to track the absorbance of light by I- ions or by titrating the reaction mixture with a known concentration of another ion.

3. What factors can affect the rate of reaction with respect to I-?

Temperature, concentration of reactants, presence of a catalyst, and surface area are all factors that can affect the rate of reaction with respect to I-. Temperature and concentration typically increase the rate of reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can speed up the reaction by lowering the activation energy. A larger surface area also allows for more contact between reactants, increasing the rate of reaction.

4. How does the rate of reaction with respect to I- relate to the overall reaction rate?

The rate of reaction with respect to I- is just one component of the overall reaction rate. The overall reaction rate takes into account the rates of all reactants and products involved in the reaction. The rate of reaction with respect to I- may be faster or slower than the overall reaction rate, depending on the specific reaction and its rate-determining step.

5. Can the rate of reaction with respect to I- be changed during the course of a reaction?

Yes, the rate of reaction with respect to I- can change during the course of a reaction. As the concentration of reactants decreases and the concentration of products increases, the rate of reaction with respect to I- may slow down. Additionally, changes in temperature, concentration, or the addition of a catalyst can also alter the rate of reaction with respect to I- during a reaction.

Back