How to simulate a random walk on a sphere

by phonic
Tags: random, simulate, sphere, walk
Share this thread:
phonic
Feb12-12, 07:33 AM
P: 28
Dear All,

I am simulating a random walk on a sphere with unit radius. I want to move from current location p_t to the new location p_{t+1} along the big circle, whose arc has an angle omega relative to p_t's latitude. I tried using the law of cosine. But at the poles, the law of cosine diverges. Can anyone help find a method that works for all location on the sphere? Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
arkajad
Feb12-12, 09:04 AM
P: 1,411
Quote Quote by phonic View Post
Dear All,

I am simulating a random walk on a sphere with unit radius. I want to move from current location p_t to the new location p_{t+1} along the big circle, whose arc has an angle omega relative to p_t's latitude. I tried using the law of cosine. But at the poles, the law of cosine diverges. Can anyone help find a method that works for all location on the sphere? Thanks!
I am not sure what you mean by law of cosine, but I would suggest: If your algorithm is correct, then do not start your walk at the pole. Probability that you will ever reach the pole is zero, I guess.
Tinyboss
Feb12-12, 11:22 AM
P: 234
So say, at each step, you want to move by an angle [itex]\alpha[/itex] along a random great circle through the current point. If your current point is the "north pole", i.e. (0,0,1) in xyz coordinates, then that's just a rotation, call it R, by [itex]\alpha[/itex], with axis a random line in the xy-plane.

And rather than worry about how you'd do it if the point isn't the north pole, I'd instead do a rotation C to bring my current point to the north pole, then do as above, then do the inverse of C. Finding such a C is straightforward; one way would be to project the current point to the xy-plane, draw a line through it and the origin, and take the perpendicular line through the origin to be the axis of rotation. Then you can rotate so that p travels along a great circle to the north pole. There are lots of other C's that would work (where p doesn't move along a great circle), but that's probably the easiest to compute. (Detail: if p is the south pole, this isn't well-defined, so just let C be the map that mirrors the sphere across the xy-plane.)

So then the effect of [itex]CRC^{-1}[/itex] on p is to carry it to a new point at an angular distance [itex]\omega[/itex] away, along a random great circle passing through p.

Register to reply