Is this just a coincidence?

by Alex_Sanders
Tags: coincidence
Alex_Sanders
Feb13-12, 05:38 AM
P: 80
Last week, I suddenly got this drive to watch The Prince of Egypt, then I happen to stumble upon "When you believe" and got it rolling again and again.

2 days later, news came out that one of the singer were gone.

Make no mistake here, I had the drive to watch the cartoon movie, not to listen to the song, albeit I failed to find a free stream online I managed to found the u2b video of the theme song.

There was something extraordinary on this one for me: I hate music drama, and never had the slightest appetite for them. I'm an atheist, so I don't have the "vibe" or "ring" for the movie. But I got this really strange drive, not weak enough to let me ignore it as a whole, but not strong enough to let me ignore the song and continue searching for the movie.

And I'm not a fan of soul/R&B/Rap etc., yet I got temporarily addictive to that song.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
Jimmy Snyder
Feb13-12, 05:42 AM
P: 2,163
It's just a coincidence. Two days before the singer was gone, I too suddenly got this drive to watch The Prince of Egypt, then I happen to stumble upon "When you believe" and got it rolling again and again. But I wouldn't make anything of it. I doubt that it you asked anyone else on PF that they too would have had the same experience.
jim hardy
Feb13-12, 05:44 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,136
"""May be there is something unexplainable in this universe, some kinda energetic connection? The link between spirits? Time to drobe a poncho and put on a Pocahontas headband?""

you might check out Carl Jung's "Synchronicity"

Ryan_m_b
Feb13-12, 05:59 AM
Mentor
P: 5,340

Is this just a coincidence?

Coincidences happen all the time. People think of someone then they ring, they remember a song and then hear it, they think about an episode turn on the TV and find it etc.

This is just confirmation bias and post-hoc rationalisation. Think of all the times someone was thought of and didn't ring and in this case how many singers haven't died? On top of that this is a pretty big rationalisation you are doing; you had a craving to watch a film and the singers of one of the songs died. So...?
zoobyshoe
Feb13-12, 06:01 AM
P: 5,616
Quote Quote by Alex_Sanders View Post
Last week, I suddenly got this drive to watch The Prince of Egypt, then I happen to stumble upon "When you believe" and got it rolling again and again.

2 days later, news came out that one of the singer were gone.

Make no mistake here, I had the drive to watch the cartoon movie, not to listen to the song, albeit I failed to find a free stream online I managed to found the u2b video of the theme song.

There was something extraordinary on this one for me: I hate music drama, and never had the slightest appetite for them. I'm an atheist, so I don't have the "vibe" or "ring" for the movie. But I got this really strange drive, not weak enough to let me ignore it as a whole, but not strong enough to let me ignore the song and continue searching for the movie.

And I'm not a fan of soul/R&B/Rap etc., yet I got temporarily addictive to that song.

May be there is something unexplainable in this universe, some kinda energetic connection? The link between spirits? Time to drobe a poncho and put on a Pocahontas headband?
Here's my spooky singer-death story:

Many years ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was involved with a theater group and we were sitting around trying to think of a name for the play we were writing. John Lennon's song, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, came to mind as having the right sort of black humor, and I was trying to think of a title that would put people in mind of it without being a direct quote. I said, "Let's not call it 'Happiness is a Warm Gun', but something like 'The Finger on the Trigger'.

The phone rang and one girl went into the next room to answer it while the rest of us discussed my suggestion.

The girl came rushing back into the room, all hyper, and announced "JOHN LENNON HAS JUST BEEN SHOT!"

True story.
Alex_Sanders
Feb13-12, 08:23 AM
Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
"""May be there is something unexplainable in this universe, some kinda energetic connection? The link between spirits? Time to drobe a poncho and put on a Pocahontas headband?""

you might check out Carl Jung's "Synchronicity"

Oh but our minds are evolved that way! Friction causes heat, fire is hot, then there must be causality between fire and friction, you can imagine how those tribes that failed to be this intuitive failed to survive.

Oh sure some of us might appears to be the lab pigeon of B. F. Skinner, but aren't we all in some way? Or what religion is made from?
Alex_Sanders
Feb13-12, 08:24 AM
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
Coincidences happen all the time. People think of someone then they ring, they remember a song and then hear it, they think about an episode turn on the TV and find it etc.

This is just confirmation bias and post-hoc rationalisation. Think of all the times someone was thought of and didn't ring and in this case how many singers haven't died? On top of that this is a pretty big rationalisation you are doing; you had a craving to watch a film and the singers of one of the songs died. So...?
So why not another movie, why not another singer?
Ryan_m_b
Feb13-12, 08:26 AM
Mentor
I don't know why you got the craving to see that film. There are other singers in it though aren't there? And you've seen other films and media as well haven't you? Statistically speaking coincidences are guaranteed to happen. Look up cum hoc ergo propter hoc (with this therefore because of this), it's a logical fallacy related to your observation.
Alex_Sanders
Feb13-12, 08:31 AM
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
It's just a coincidence. Two days before the singer was gone, I too suddenly got this drive to watch The Prince of Egypt, then I happen to stumble upon "When you believe" and got it rolling again and again. But I wouldn't make anything of it. I doubt that it you asked anyone else on PF that they too would have had the same experience.

Now, seriously, if there are one more PF member confirming the same experience, then it's gonna be really freaky and really shouldn't be called a coincidence.

I mean, if more than 2 man in the carriage sensed an unpleasant scent, then there must be someone going on with his silent but deadly business no?
Ryan_m_b
Feb13-12, 08:35 AM
Mentor
Now, seriously, if there are one more PF member confirming the same experience, then it's gonna be really freaky and really shouldn't be called a coincidence.
It wouldn't be really freaky at all. Whitney Houston was a very popular, very successful singer whose songs appeared in a variety of media. I'd wager that you'd be hard pressed to find a single day where no one listened to her. As well as this she has been battling a drug problem for years. It would actually be more of an oddity if no one heard any Whitney songs in any form before she died.
I mean, if more than 2 man in the carriage sensed an unpleasant scent, then there must be someone going on with his silent but deadly business no?
Not the same at all for a variety of reasons and again this is an example of logical fallacy.
thorium1010
Feb13-12, 08:36 AM
P: 198
why ? if one more pf member has the same experience , does it legitimize or confirm such a thing is true.
zoobyshoe
Feb13-12, 10:46 AM
P: 5,616
I think what Ryan is saying is that people get sudden urges to watch movies all the time, and more often than not no one connected with the movie happens to die, so we forget about all these times, and only remember the rare cases when the two things coincide.

Conversely, every time someone famous dies, there must be thousands of people who just thought of them that day because thousands of people think of them every day.

Lastly, Jimmy Snyder was joking.
wukunlin
Feb13-12, 12:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 340
there is no creepier coincidence than "wreck of the Titan" and RMS Titanic
Hobin
Feb13-12, 07:12 PM
P: 194
Coincidence.

What people who experience such things (and don't we all!) often forget, is that you experience thousands of things every day. In a year, You can have over a frapillion different experiences, so it is not very surprising that such coincidences occur, and that they occur frequently.

Remember, a frapillion experiences per person * seven billion people = more coincidences than you can count.
jim hardy
Feb13-12, 08:03 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,136
when i was about eight or nine something strange happened to me.

We had a great uncle, a Paul Bunyan type from Idaho, who terrified us kids because he was so boistrous and took great delight in tossing my sister and me up in the air with one hand. We hid in the woods when he came to visit.

One morning i awoke with that hurt empty feeling in my stomach, feeling sad for him. I mentioned it at breakfast and my sister said she awoke with same feeling. We asked ourselves why because we did not feel close to him at all.

Three days later Mom got a letter there'd been a coal mine accident that he did not survive.

I have never since pooh-poohed these kind of reports.

i just dont know.
Ryan_m_b
Feb14-12, 04:40 AM
Mentor
Quote Quote by jim hardy View Post
when i was about eight or nine something strange happened to me.

We had a great uncle, a Paul Bunyan type from Idaho, who terrified us kids because he was so boistrous and took great delight in tossing my sister and me up in the air with one hand. We hid in the woods when he came to visit.

One morning i awoke with that hurt empty feeling in my stomach, feeling sad for him. I mentioned it at breakfast and my sister said she awoke with same feeling. We asked ourselves why because we did not feel close to him at all.

Three days later Mom got a letter there'd been a coal mine accident that he did not survive.

I have never since pooh-poohed these kind of reports.

i just dont know.
True story: last night I had a nightmare where a friend of mine was violently killed for being gay and I woke up quite upset about it. About half an hour ago he sent me a text saying his boyfriend made him breakfast in bed for Valentine's day.

Point being that bad feelings, dreaming/thinking about people, spontaneously watching something etc happen all the time but we forget about the times that we can't rationalise to things that really happen. Regarding more than one person with the same feeling: how many times have you had a different feeling? Again a perfect example of confirmation bias.
Pythagorean
Feb14-12, 05:09 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,180
Coincidence. Millions of people have thoughts about famous people every day. Those famous people will eventually die and some people will just happen to be thinking about them at that moment.
Chi Meson
Feb14-12, 05:26 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 1,772
Here's an old thread about coincidences
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=142423
Post #7 was particularly creepy.

Register to reply