Solve Algebra Rate Problem: Dragon Walking & Car Driving

Then you solve simultaneously to find ry=25. distance = 50+25 = 75. This is the total distance traveled by the dragon. In summary, the car and dragon travel in opposite directions and meet at the dragon's head. Using the formula distance = rate * time, we can set up equations to represent the different scenarios of the car and dragon's movement. By solving these equations simultaneously, we can find the total distance traveled by the dragon. In this case, the dragon has traveled 75 feet by the time the car has returned to its tail.
daigo

Homework Statement

A long dragon that is 100 feet long is walking.
A car starts driving from the rear of the dragon to the head of the dragon, then drives back to the tail of the dragon.
If the car drives three times as fast as the dragon can walk, how many feet has the dragon walked by the time the car has returned to the tail of the dragon?

Homework Equations

distance = rate * time

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could put it into a ratio like this:

(r = rate)

x / r = 100 ft / 3r

Cross multiply:

3rx = 100r

Divide by r on both sides:

3x = 100

x = 100/3

But then I figured that neither dragon nor car was traveling a certain distance, they were just traveling at a pace.

I already know how to arrive at the answer, but I don't understand why I've arrived at the answer:

distance = rate * time

(r = rate, t = time)
rt + 100 = 3rt
100 = 2rt
50 = rt

(r = rate, y = time)
4ry = 100
ry = 25

distance = rate(t + y)
distance = rate(t) + rate(y)

(plug in from the solutions of above equations)

distance = 50 + 25

distance = 75

I don't understand from the very first step of how the equations came to be. Is there a different way to solve this? So I can understand it intuitively instead of algebraically?

Physics news on Phys.org
daigo said:
distance = rate * time

(r = rate, t = time)
rt + 100 = 3rt
100 = 2rt
50 = rt

(r = rate, y = time)
4ry = 100
ry = 25

distance = rate(t + y)
distance = rate(t) + rate(y)

(plug in from the solutions of above equations)

distance = 50 + 25

distance = 75

I don't understand from the very first step of how the equations came to be. Is there a different way to solve this? So I can understand it intuitively instead of algebraically?

This solution is not hard to understand. You're breaking the problem up into two parts. The first part is when the car moves from tail to head, which takes a time "t." If "r" is the walking speed of the dragon, then 3r is the driving speed of the car (this is given in the problem). In time t, the car moves a distance of speed*time = 3rt. HOWEVER, the distance traveled by the car must be equal to the length of the dragon PLUS the distance traveled by the dragon in time t, which is rt. Hence:

100+rt = 3rt

This equation is saying "distance traveled by dragon + length of dragon = distance traveled by car"

Now consider the second part, when the car moves from the head back to the tail, which takes an amount of time "y". In this case, the distance traveled by the car is the length of the dragon MINUS the distance traveled by the dragon. It's minus, because the car has to go less than 100 ft to reach the tail, because the tail is moving towards it at speed r.

The distance traveled by the car is: 3ry
The distance traveled by the dragon is ry

Hence, from what we said above:

3ry = 100 - ry

4ry = 100

Now you know where these equations came from.

1. What is the rate of the dragon walking and the car driving?

The rate of the dragon walking and the car driving can be represented by the speed at which they are travelling. This is usually measured in units such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.

2. How do you set up an algebraic equation for this problem?

To set up an algebraic equation, you can use the formula: Rate x Time = Distance. You will need to assign variables for the rate, time, and distance for both the dragon and the car. Then, you can set up an equation using the given information in the problem.

3. What information do I need to solve this algebra rate problem?

To solve this problem, you will need to know the distance travelled by the dragon and the car, as well as the time it took for them to reach their destination. You will also need to know the rates at which they are travelling.

4. Can this problem be solved using other mathematical methods?

Yes, this problem can also be solved using proportions. You can set up a proportion using the ratio of the distance travelled by the dragon and the car to the time it took for them to reach their destination. Then, you can solve for the missing variable.

5. How can I check my answer to make sure it is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in the values you found for the variables into the original equation. If the equation is balanced, then your answer is correct. You can also use unit analysis to make sure the units on both sides of the equation are the same.