Register to reply

Continuous and differentiable function

by frankpupu
Tags: continuous, differentiable, function
Share this thread:
frankpupu
Feb13-12, 06:09 PM
P: 19
function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。then if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

i am quiet confusing this statement , if f1 is continuous f2 is not how their sum to be continuous and differentiable as well. but i am sure this statement is true. can someone explain to me ???
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
DrewD
Feb13-12, 07:46 PM
P: 445
I don't know if you could have [itex]f_1[/itex] continuous everywhere and [itex]f_2[/itex] discontinuous. A simple way that you could have two discontinuous functions sum to a continuous one is if you take cosine from [itex]-\infty<\theta\leq 0[/itex] and 0 when greater than zero as [itex]f_1[/itex] and then a similar thing but where it is defined on the positive number and 0 for the negatives (and at 0 or else it will still be discontinuous). Individually there is a discontinuity at 0, but when you add them they are continuous.

This is a trivial case, but I hope it makes it clear.
HallsofIvy
Feb14-12, 03:06 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,310
Quote Quote by frankpupu View Post
function f:R->R can be written as a sum f=f1+f2 where f1 is even and f2 is odd。then if f is continuous then f1 and f2 may be chosen continuous, and if f is differentiable then f1 and f2 can be chosen differentiable

i am quiet confusing this statement , if f1 is continuous f2 is not how their sum to be continuous and differentiable as well. but i am sure this statement is true. can someone explain to me ???
You are correct that if f1 is continous at, say, x= a, and f2 is not, then f cannot be continuous at x= a. But why are you raising the question? This statement says nothing about "f1 is continuous f2 is not". It simply says that if f is continuous then f1 and f2 can both be chosen to be continuous. Here it is fairly standard to take f1= (f(x)+ f(-x))/2 and f2= (f(x)- f(-x))/2. If f is continuous, so are f1 and f2. If f is differentiable, so are f1 and f2.

Register to reply