Register to reply

2012 Physics and Astronomy REU Programs

by Stengah
Tags: 2012, astronomy, physics, programs
Share this thread:
Stengah
Feb3-12, 04:45 AM
P: 235
I'd like to make a thread for those who are applying to REU programs in physics and the like this summer.

Please post where you have applied, what your research interests are, and post when you hear from specific programs to help others make their decisions.

Also feel free to discuss any specific projects and schools etc, so we can all help each other out.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Stengah
Feb3-12, 04:52 AM
As for me, I've applied to a variety of physics and some astrophysics programs. I'm really hoping for something in nuclear, biophysics or optics, although I'll be happy with anything.

I've applied to or am applying to:

Purdue
Idaho State
Bucknell
Montana State
UC Davis
University of Wyoming
University of Oregon
Kansas State
University of Idaho
LBloom
Feb3-12, 12:14 PM
P: 173
For all my applications I've put down an emphasis on high energy theory or analysis coming out of the LHC. Also said I was interested in CMT.

Minnestoa
Purdue
Indiana
Michigan state
UM-CERN
Columbia
Rochester
UCD
Perimeter
SULI
Texas A&M
UIUC
Colorado

ktb
Feb6-12, 12:21 PM
P: 45
2012 Physics and Astronomy REU Programs

I applied to:

Kitt Peak Observatory
Northern Arizona
Notre Dame
LSU
BYU
Colorado
Texas A&M
UCDavis
Washington
Rochester
CERN-UM Already denied. They said they had over 250 applicants.
Cornell
PPPL
Michigan State

Trying for HEP or astronomy. I'm only a sophomore, so I don't expect much. However, hopefully, I'll at least get into a couple.
Stengah
Feb10-12, 08:43 PM
Quote Quote by ktb View Post

CERN-UM Already denied. They said they had over 250 applicants.
Ah that's too bad. Probably one of the most difficult programs to get into.

Has anyone else heard back from any programs?
ThatTallGirl
Feb12-12, 07:56 PM
P: 23
I went to Michigan State last summer (between sophomore and junior year). Applying to more nuclear physics and some nuclear physics for this summer:

University of Washington
Notre Dame
Indiana
UC Davis
Cornell
Old Dominion
Elwin.Martin
Feb12-12, 11:31 PM
P: 207
I'm applying to:
SURF (LIGO)
Cornell
UC Boulder
UC Davis
Teng
UCLA
Stony Brook
Columbia
Purdue
Michigan State (maybe)
Experimental and Theoretical HEP, mostly.
Elwin.Martin
Feb13-12, 11:41 PM
Quote Quote by Stengah View Post
Ah that's too bad. Probably one of the most difficult programs to get into.

Has anyone else heard back from any programs?
Is 250 a lot of applicants then?

It would be nice if we had some data on application numbers.
Stengah
Feb14-12, 12:13 AM
Yeah I think it's up there. For my school's astronomy program, we had 130 applicants, and the professor who runs it said that was about average. Maybe it's a little more for physics though. And I would assume that if someone got an offer from cern, they would accept it over most other programs, so UM doesn't need to give out too many offers before they are full.
Elwin.Martin
Feb15-12, 11:38 PM
Quote Quote by Stengah View Post
Yeah I think it's up there. For my school's astronomy program, we had 130 applicants, and the professor who runs it said that was about average. Maybe it's a little more for physics though. And I would assume that if someone got an offer from cern, they would accept it over most other programs, so UM doesn't need to give out too many offers before they are full.
I kind of want to email around for some more data on the size of applicant pools, but I'm not sure how far I would get.

Hear back from anywhere yet?
Stengah
Feb15-12, 11:54 PM
Quote Quote by Elwin.Martin View Post
I haven't heard back from anywhere. Most of my deadlines just passed in the last 5 days, so hopefully it will be somewhat soon. The wait is killing me.
LBloom
Feb16-12, 02:28 AM
I heard back from Minnesota, got into a theory/computational project there. Their deadline was very early, January 15th. Most of mine have been due this week, with same the last week in february or the first week in march. Its kind of annoying how they stagger the deadlines...
Stengah
Feb16-12, 02:35 AM
Quote Quote by LBloom View Post
I heard back from Minnesota, got into a theory/computational project there. Their deadline was very early, January 15th. Most of mine have been due this week, with same the last week in february or the first week in march. Its kind of annoying how they stagger the deadlines...
Congrats! Will you be accepting the offer?
LBloom
Feb16-12, 11:17 AM
Congrats! Will you be accepting the offer?
Good question! I've been thinking about it myself. I've tentatively accepted. They want to hear back by the 20th, which is hopefully when I'll hear back from some other schools so I can make a proper decision. Once again, it would be so much easier if we heard back from the schools around the same time.
ktb
Feb16-12, 05:04 PM
P: 45
Quote Quote by Elwin.Martin View Post

Looks like Cornell started handing out acceptances. http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=578321
Stengah
Feb19-12, 07:04 PM
Anyone know if schools typically call or email when offering acceptances? Or regular old mail?
LBloom
Feb19-12, 08:41 PM
Anyone know if schools typically call or email when offering acceptances? Or regular old mail?
Although some schools may mail out acceptances, its typically done by email. The only reason anyone would call is for an interview, and I dont think those are ever usually done.
ThatTallGirl
Feb21-12, 01:12 PM
P: 23
Old Dominion does phone interviews.

Register to reply